TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Alpine unit freeze after 12v battery change

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by NigelM, May 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Just posting this so that someone may find it if the same bug pops up again....

Had my annual service done on Wednesday and went to collect the car on Thursday. Service included swapping out for a new 12v but when I went to drive home I noticed that the Alpine NAV-10 didn't power up at all. Went back in to the service center and by holding down the power button we did eventually get it to boot but all unit controls were frozen, the screen was unresponsive and unreactive to the remote. Searched TMC and couldn't find it had happened before.

John at Tampa Service (thanks John!) checked out the battery and power supply and found it all ok; pulling fuses and replacing them didn't seem to make any difference. Next he removed the left waterfall trim inside the car (Roadster 2.5) and one by one reset each of the control units in there (nav, sirius etc.), that fixed the issue. Music, nav, satellite all working again and all my original settings were still there.

2. Habious

Habious Member

I've had the system freeze up on me a few times...also had it refuse to recognize that the GPS module was installed. In all cases, the only thing that fixed it was to hit the recessed Reset button on the front of the unit. You have to use something small and pointy (end of a paper clip or something like that) to hit it.

The audio settings (bass, treble, etc) are reset to default but, all of the GPS memory locations, Radio presets, etc. are all preserved.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I should have mentioned that we tried the recessed rest button but all we ended up with was the blank screen. That's why John ended up looking at the main unit cubby.