Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Already have J1772 EVSE, should I get the Tesla Wall Charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Comments like these will cause a wave of hate LOL There are still many people here that think Superchargers should not be used for daily charging needs and are very vocal about it.
But she has a 3 and thus will be paying for it. And paying more than home charging.

Now for the topic on hand I have a J-1772 Charger I am using for my 3 and just purchase an extra adapter to make it real easy. It is working just fine.

Unless you start driving more miles, you won't be charging the Model 3 for more hours/day than you currently charge the Leaf, and probably much less, since (a) the Model 3 is more efficient and uses fewer Wh/mile, and (b) may charge at a higher rate on your existing EVSE (depending on whether your Leaf has a 6.6 or 3.3kW on-board charger - I think the 11's were all 3.3?)

I charge all the time on a J1772. Dealing with the adapter isn't a big deal, although getting a spare to keep at home might not be a bad idea, depending on how often you forget it.

Yeah, the '11 and '12s were all 3.3 (16a). He'll be just fine sharing the Blink if he was OK before.

We use the J1772 adaptor to charge our M3. It doesn't have a button to press to open the charge door so you need to press on the charge door to get it to open. Similar problem when unplugging - no button to release the adaptor from the charge port. I need to detach the adaptor from the J1772 while it is still plugged into the car. When it is disconnected the charge port unlocks and I can remove the adaptor from the charge port. I put the adaptor back on the J1772 and leave it with the charger. I keep a spare adaptor in the car so I am sure to have it when I need it.

• Helpful
Reactions: DR61