Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Already have J1772 EVSE, should I get the Tesla Wall Charger?

kingjamez

Apr 4, 2017
Fairfax, VA
Comments like these will cause a wave of hate LOL There are still many people here that think Superchargers should not be used for daily charging needs and are very vocal about it.
It's different for Model 3 where you must pay to use the SuperCharger. Tesla has priced electricity to encourage using your charger at home, as intended.
-Jim

tga

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2014
New Hampshire
Just use the Tesla Mobile Charger Gen 2 that comes with the Model 3. Included with your car (no extra cost) and has attachment for 120 v and 240 volt.
The OP didn't say anything about having a 240V outlet available, so that's probably not under consideration.

Packetdancer

Apr 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
The OP didn't say anything about having a 240V outlet available, so that's probably not under consideration.

Yeah, I don't have a spare 240V available; I do have a spare 120V, but that seems... slow.

I could certainly add a 240V outlet, mind you, but if I get an electrician in to add stuff I'd rather just add a second EVSE anyway. ;)

dhrivnak

Jan 8, 2011
NE Tennessee
Comments like these will cause a wave of hate LOL There are still many people here that think Superchargers should not be used for daily charging needs and are very vocal about it.
But she has a 3 and thus will be paying for it. And paying more than home charging.

Now for the topic on hand I have a J-1772 Charger I am using for my 3 and just purchase an extra adapter to make it real easy. It is working just fine.

tga

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2014
New Hampshire
Yeah, I don't have a spare 240V available; I do have a spare 120V, but that seems... slow.

I could certainly add a 240V outlet, mind you, but if I get an electrician in to add stuff I'd rather just add a second EVSE anyway. ;)
120V charging is one of those "Doctor, it hurts when I do this" kind of things. The correct answer is: just don't do that.

Dennisj00

Aug 25, 2016
North of Charlotte, NC
Unless you’re staying for a day or two.

Be sure to check your panel /service rating before adding the second charger to use at the same time.

We easily use an L2 for the S (22 mph) or 3 (29 mph) and keep the 1772 adapters in each car.

davewill

Feb 5, 2014
San Diego, CA, US
Unless you start driving more miles, you won't be charging the Model 3 for more hours/day than you currently charge the Leaf, and probably much less, since (a) the Model 3 is more efficient and uses fewer Wh/mile, and (b) may charge at a higher rate on your existing EVSE (depending on whether your Leaf has a 6.6 or 3.3kW on-board charger - I think the 11's were all 3.3?)

I charge all the time on a J1772. Dealing with the adapter isn't a big deal, although getting a spare to keep at home might not be a bad idea, depending on how often you forget it.

Yeah, the '11 and '12s were all 3.3 (16a). He'll be just fine sharing the Blink if he was OK before.

JHuberman

Dec 28, 2016
Raleigh
We use the J1772 adaptor to charge our M3. It doesn't have a button to press to open the charge door so you need to press on the charge door to get it to open. Similar problem when unplugging - no button to release the adaptor from the charge port. I need to detach the adaptor from the J1772 while it is still plugged into the car. When it is disconnected the charge port unlocks and I can remove the adaptor from the charge port. I put the adaptor back on the J1772 and leave it with the charger. I keep a spare adaptor in the car so I am sure to have it when I need it.

• Helpful
Reactions: DR61

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC