TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Already have J1772 EVSE, should I get the Tesla Wall Charger?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Packetdancer, Apr 20, 2018.

1. kingjamez

kingjamez Member

It's different for Model 3 where you must pay to use the SuperCharger. Tesla has priced electricity to encourage using your charger at home, as intended.
    -Jim

2. tga

tga Supporting Member

The OP didn't say anything about having a 240V outlet available, so that's probably not under consideration.

3. Packetdancer

Packetdancer Member

Yeah, I don't have a spare 240V available; I do have a spare 120V, but that seems... slow.

I could certainly add a 240V outlet, mind you, but if I get an electrician in to add stuff I'd rather just add a second EVSE anyway. ;)

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

But she has a 3 and thus will be paying for it. And paying more than home charging.

Now for the topic on hand I have a J-1772 Charger I am using for my 3 and just purchase an extra adapter to make it real easy. It is working just fine.

5. tga

tga Supporting Member

120V charging is one of those "Doctor, it hurts when I do this" kind of things. The correct answer is: just don't do that.

6. Dennisj00

Dennisj00 Member

Unless you’re staying for a day or two.

Be sure to check your panel /service rating before adding the second charger to use at the same time.

We easily use an L2 for the S (22 mph) or 3 (29 mph) and keep the 1772 adapters in each car.

7. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.40.4

The J1772 adapters are actually $95: Model S/X/3 SAE J1772 Charging Adapter

8. davewill

davewill Active Member

Yeah, the '11 and '12s were all 3.3 (16a). He'll be just fine sharing the Blink if he was OK before.

9. taconabag

taconabag Member

No don't get it. I bought an extra adapter, although at 95 dollars that is a complete rip off...

10. JHuberman

JHuberman Member

We use the J1772 adaptor to charge our M3. It doesn't have a button to press to open the charge door so you need to press on the charge door to get it to open. Similar problem when unplugging - no button to release the adaptor from the charge port. I need to detach the adaptor from the J1772 while it is still plugged into the car. When it is disconnected the charge port unlocks and I can remove the adaptor from the charge port. I put the adaptor back on the J1772 and leave it with the charger. I keep a spare adaptor in the car so I am sure to have it when I need it.

• Helpful x 1
  11. DR61

DR61 Member

I think I will do the same. We already have a Leviton 40 amp J1772 unit.