Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Already thinking of swapping to a Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering how many model 3 owners are already thinking of a possible swap over to a model Y, when the Y hits the UK market we will all of a sudden see lots of model 3's in the 'Used' section on the Tesla website?

Would I have gone for the 3 over the Y? Most definitely not with a young family

Was I going to wait for the Y as I'm on a two-year work salary sacrifice? No

When it comes to the next lease in Nov 2021 it will be a different landscape in terms of EV's so I can't hand on heart say it's going to be a Y, it also going be heavily mixed with work location, earning and so on.

Reactions: Jez_GB and MacPaul
Id have gone for the Y if it was available at the time, but even if they get to the UK launch quicker than the 3 it’s still probably 18 months or more until they’re available in RHD in significant volumes.

Despite the name, I think that I shall change to a Y, mainly for practicality. The decision will be Performance or Long Range. I realise that my current Performance and FSD are completely wasted on me so it will probably be the LR Dual Motor but I might be persuaded to go Performance again but without the FSD. I love the white interior, so will stay with that. I like the blue too. I'm not a big fan of the darkened wheels but I think there maybe an option for the silver wheels (I hope). I wonder if they would let you transfer the FSD to the new car? :cool:

all things being equal I would have bought a Y for the greater capacity but I have some custom M3 bags now that means I can as much in it as the luggage allowance for 4 people on a plane will allow and that's probably enough. No plans to "upgrade"

I wouldn't mind a hatchback, but it appears that the Y will have slightly less range than the 3, and in winter the P3D is already borderline for a journey I regularly make. So overall, I'm still happy to lose the hatchback convenience (I don't go to IKEA that often) in exchange for being able to make that round trip without charging

If there's a Y with a little more range in 3 years time, it'll be on the list.

I considered the PY+ but my current P3+ is only just 4 months old and the Tesla trade number was too low. If their number was a bit stronger, combined with the trade-in sales tax savings I’d probably trade our 3 in. I love our P3+ but compared to our Performance S hatch and folding seats the P3 trunk is a let down. I really don’t understand their thought process of not making the 3 a hatchback like the far more useful S. Still a great car though.