Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Altavista, VA: New Destination Charging location opening soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I have been working with a business owner in Altavista, VA (about halfway between Lynchburg and Danville on Route 29) to establish a destination charging spot in the area and he is about to have 3 Tesla chargers and a universal charger installed at his business. The business is a converted convenience store that has 12+ taps of good craft beer and a delicious deli menu for lunch / dinner. The business owner is also the town mayor and has installed a solar array on storage buildings that currently provides more than 80% of the electricity that the store uses.

I wanted to let everyone know as we are trying to put together a little media event and the more owner participation, the better! He has the 3 Tesla chargers in boxes and is waiting for the universal charger to arrive before scheduling the electrical contractor to come out to do the install. I anticipate that the installation will be complete in the next few weeks and the media event will be scheduled soon afterwards.

What I would like to do is have the event around lunchtime on a Saturday, speak to the press a bit, grab a bite and if anyone wants to hang out, go back to Lynchburg for dinner. The Craddock Terry Hotel in downtown Lynchburg is a nice boutique hotel within easy walking distance of some of the best restaurants in town. I live in Lynchburg and would love to show anyone staying there around the downtown area.

As I find out more information about the timing, I will keep everyone up to date.

Thanks!

Steve

I stopped by yesterday and he has the 3 high power wall chargers (HPWCs) in boxes and is waiting for the "universal" charger to ship before scheduling the electrical contractor to come out to do the install. I would anticipate that it is only a matter of a few weeks now.

That's cool, I called E&S before driving up to Peaks of Otter last weekend, as they are now on Plugshare (as you probably know). Very nice lady. Will be a convenient lunch stop en route to Charlottesville SpC and Winchester relatives.

Thanks. I would use this in my travels to Altavista. I would like to see destination chargers in Lynchburg. I live near Blacksburg but commute to Lynchburg for work.
That's quite a commute! I'd love to see a set of destination chargers somewhere near the Target in Lynchburg at the crossroads of 29 and 460. I might start reaching out to business owners in that area to gauge interest.

Reactions: EVJunkie
That's quite a commute! I'd love to see a set of destination chargers somewhere near the Target in Lynchburg at the crossroads of 29 and 460. I might start reaching out to business owners in that area to gauge interest.

That would be a perfect location. There are plenty of shopping options in that area. Reaching out to a local business may be more successful than a national company. I would support this as well. There are very few charging options in the Lynchburg /Forest area. I would like to a see a DC fast charger put in somewhere near here but a destination charger is probably more likely.

That would be a perfect location. There are plenty of shopping options in that area. Reaching out to a local business may be more successful than a national company. I would support this as well. There are very few charging options in the Lynchburg /Forest area. I would like to a see a DC fast charger put in somewhere near here but a destination charger is probably more likely.
My thoughts exactly. After all, Lynchburg didn't want to be on an interstate and Tesla is (rightfully) focusing on interstates first. A set of destination chargers there would help.

I stopped by today to check on the status and they are in the process of tying the chargers into the breakers for power, so hopefully we will be live sometime this week. If I don't hear anything, I'll stop by on Easter to check on the progress and will give another report.

Reactions: EVJunkie