Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternate routes.... it's disappointing so far.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received the new alternate routes feature and my early opinion is that it's mostly disappointing and unusable. Here's a photo of what it looks like for those who don't have it yet. When it pops up it gives you the quickest route in the standard blue and alternate routes in light blue. For starters, the light blue is difficult to see. But worst, it doesn't stay active for long. You've got about 3 seconds to touch the light blue or it's gone. And once it disappears there's no way to get it back without canceling out the route and starting over. Maybe somebody else who has it can let me know if I'm missing something. I was hoping for a route selection based on energy consumption AND time but it looks like it's strictly time only. Like I say, chime in if I'm missing something.
20221129_120345.jpg

You can get the alternate routes back by expanding the navigation display to show the entire route. I didn't know about that either until someone else on the forum mentioned it.
That doesn't help. Alternative routes never show up for me. There must be parts of NA where the mapping database doesn't support alternative routes. Either that or somehow it's disabled in the FSD beta version 2022.36.20, which I find hard to believe.

I suppose that I could try a reboot.

You can get the alternate routes back by expanding the navigation display to show the entire route. I didn't know about that either until someone else on the forum mentioned it.
I tried that and it didn't work no matter how large or how small I made the map. I wonder...were you running FSD live when you were able to see the alternate routes? I have FSD but didn't have it activated when checking.

That doesn't help. Alternative routes never show up for me. There must be parts of NA where the mapping database doesn't support alternative routes. Either that or somehow it's disabled in the FSD beta version 2022.36.20, which I find hard to believe.

I suppose that I could try a reboot.
I read somewhere that said only a small percentage of folks on that update received it. Don't worry, you're not missing much.

I tried that and it didn't work no matter how large or how small I made the map. I wonder...were you running FSD live when you were able to see the alternate routes? I have FSD but didn't have it activated when checking.
Don’t adjust the map, expand the navigation panel that has all the steps. I think switching the map view/orientation to show the entire route also works. Of course, if you’re one of the people that doesn’t have the feature to begin with, no amount of fiddling will make it appear. I have 2022.36.20 (FSD Beta 10.69.3.1). Like others have said, I believe Tesla is enabling this feature incrementally, so not everyone with the same build will see it right away.

Reactions: Chisale
If you have FSD, it might be different.
I’m on 40.4.2 and I see two different behaviors:
If I’m parked, the alternative routes will remain indefinitely. If I’m driving they indeed show for a few seconds only.

I’m really happy with that implementation. Safe and now I don’t need to check on my mobile with Maps if the preferred route is indeed the better one.

Reactions: krsgio and GtiMart
Now that they have alternative routes they should add a prompt when a new route fits the setting about re-route if new route is X minutes faster to allow you to choose to change the route or not. As of now it still will automatically change your route based on that setting with no notification to the user.

Don’t adjust the map, expand the navigation panel that has all the steps. I think switching the map view/orientation to show the entire route also works. Of course, if you’re one of the people that doesn’t have the feature to begin with, no amount of fiddling will make it appear. I have 2022.36.20 (FSD Beta 10.69.3.1). Like others have said, I believe Tesla is enabling this feature incrementally, so not everyone with the same build will see it right away.
That worked. Yes, I'm on the same version as you 2022.36.20 and you have to expand the Nav panel. Though not expansion of the map helps in my case. but expanding the list does. Thanks.

If you have FSD, it might be different.
I’m on 40.4.2 and I see two different behaviors:
If I’m parked, the alternative routes will remain indefinitely. If I’m driving they indeed show for a few seconds only.

I’m really happy with that implementation. Safe and now I don’t need to check on my mobile with Maps if the preferred route is indeed the better one.
Thanks. As EVRider-FL said above, those of us still on 2022.36.20 only get the routes showing for a few seconds (even in park). That must be something they fixed in going to 40.x.x. I'll be happy when we get the routes staying active longer like you do, they make them a better color that is easier to see and give an option for energy conservation (like Google Maps does). Then I'd be like you and wouldn't have to open the phone.

Reactions: AustinP
its wierd
I didn't get the feature listed in the release notes and it doesn't appear if I enter a destination.
However, if its an automatic destination (like home or a calendar appt) I get the alternate routes
Also on FSDb 2022.36.20

In Park, I will often get 1 primary and 2 alternate routes. I will select an alternate route by tapping on it. But once I put into drive, or sometimes after driving, it defaults back to the primary route, and ignores that I selected an alternate route.

Anyone experience this? Maybe I'm not selecting the alternate route correctly for it to stay active?

In Park, I will often get 1 primary and 2 alternate routes. I will select an alternate route by tapping on it. But once I put into drive, or sometimes after driving, it defaults back to the primary route, and ignores that I selected an alternate route.

Anyone experience this? Maybe I'm not selecting the alternate route correctly for it to stay active?
When you select the alternate route does it show next that it's calculating the route and then it shows the steps?

Reactions: bry_bry

Could it be the other route is faster than the one you chose by x minutes, and you have the nav configured to prefer faster route if time diff is y? And x<y?

Could it be the other route is faster than the one you chose by x minutes, and you have the nav configured to prefer faster route if time diff is y? And x<y?

This... Increase the time difference allowed for auto re-routing. I have the problem with my normal commute as well. There is a "faster" route that includes a specific highway(I-66, ugh), but by the time I would get to that highway there could likely be a crash that would then cause a massive delay.

When you select the alternate route does it show next that it's calculating the route and then it shows the steps?
Yes you select the alternate route, and it instantly toggles to show new route/steps/est arrival. It only changes back to default when I put into Drive. And then the alternate options are gone, so I can't choose the alternates again!

This... Increase the time difference allowed for auto re-routing. I have the problem with my normal commute as well. There is a "faster" route that includes a specific highway(I-66, ugh), but by the time I would get to that highway there could likely be a crash that would then cause a massive delay.
Maybe this is it, Thanks! Yes, it's often choosing a route with two highways, when the [presented alternate route with only one highway is better. I'll change it from 5min to greater than 15min.

It's just strange because after you've selected the route / alternate route, it should ask you/prompt you "would you like to change to a faster route?" Instead of just rerouting, and then disappearing the alternate routes it had presented. Hope they update this.