Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternate tire sizes for 21in wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys so the MYP runs a staggered

255/35/r21 front
275/35/r21 rears

I want to go square setup because I am more about practicality than tracking. I want to be able to make them last longer and have the ability to rotate them.

what do you guys think?

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Stock offset is 40? Glad that I learned this; seems like the aftermarket options are all 30. They must be for model 3. I’d like to go down to a 18 but there doesn’t seem to be any tire options in a 255/50/18.

The front and rear wheels are different widths (9.5 and 10.5") and different offsets (ET40 & ET48), so you'll need to buy two more front wheels for a square set using 255/35R21 tires.

wi
The front and rear wheels are different widths (9.5 and 10.5") and different offsets (ET40 & ET48), so you'll need to buy two more front wheels for a square set using 255/35R21 tires.

I don’t know what any of that means lol
So in other works I can run 255/35r21 all the way around ?

The main reason to go with a square setup is the ability to rotate tires front to back...so even if you do 265 all around, you still wouldn't be able to rotate the wheels/tires due to the different widths and offsets. Also, the 275 out back is is stretched as it is on the 10.5, so not sure you'd want to even go skinnier than that.

As mentioned you'll need to source two front wheels. I plan to just get 265 and 275 on the Yokohamas, which seem reasonably priced given the aspect. Hopefully by the time we all need new rubber, more companies will enter/expand on the growing 21" wheel/tire size market.

Did anyone end up going in with 265/35ZR21 in the front? I am about to pull the trigger on the Pilot® Sport All Season 4 and go with the 265/35ZR21 in the front and 275/35ZR21 in the rear. I spoke with Michelin again this morning and it looks like December 20th is when the 255/35Z/R21 was pushed back to and it is starting to get cold in Indiana.

What a cluster F*** with tesla choosing to run staggered fitment wheels on their performance SUV/crossover. Seriously WTF were they thinking. So many people are going to try to buy all season tires that do not fit because tire/wheel fitment is very confusing to 99% of people.

My advice is to just buy a set of 19" or 20" wheels and ditch the uberturbines unless you really love the look and want to keep them for summer. Even still, the uberturbines are absurdly heavy, not necessary, and make tire replacement / shopping, way over the top.

If I was keeping the Y long term I would probably invest in Martian wheels but I am only keeping the Y until the Cybertruck is available. I hate to spend $2500 or more on wheels for a short term problem. I would replace the Michelin AS 4 265/35/R21 with the correct size of 255/35/R21 as soon as they are available.

Just received the following email from Michelin. The pilot sport all season 4 255/35/21s will not be out until fall of next year (2021). Has anyone tried to fit the 265s up front...either with or without a 5mm tire spacer. Any advice would be much appreciated. It’s starting to get cold and I don’t want to crack the summer tires.

Thank you for reaching out to Michelin. We are happy to announce that our Michelin All SEason 4 in size 255/35ZR21 will be launched fall 2021. If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Consumer Care Department

Hey guys so the MYP runs a staggered

255/35/r21 front
275/35/r21 rears

I want to go square setup because I am more about practicality than tracking. I want to be able to make them last longer and have the ability to rotate them.

what do you guys think?

You do realize that the front and rear wheels are different widths right?

They come staggered from the factory. So no you can't run the same size tire unless you buy new wheels.

Just got 265 Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's on the front and 275 in the rear. No issues.

50612205342_e5bdc64ff5_k.jpg

50612205297_d7a7267338_k.jpg

Reactions: Sixth and DennyL