Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative 22 inch wheels for range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla 22 inch wheels look very nice but steals some range.
As anyone gone with aftermarket wheels and tried other tires?
The original 20 inch wheels I think have one size narrower tires than the 22. This might add to the range aswell as choosing another sort of tire than the one provided by tesla.

How great of an issue is the tires for a P100d? Do the Tesla 22 provide the best acceleration grip?

The Tesla 22 inch wheels look very nice but steals some range.
As anyone gone with aftermarket wheels and tried other tires?
The original 20 inch wheels I think have one size narrower tires than the 22. This might add to the range aswell as choosing another sort of tire than the one provided by tesla.

How great of an issue is the tires for a P100d? Do the Tesla 22 provide the best acceleration grip?

There's a lot of factors as you noted.

- Unplugged has a set of 22's that are significantly lighter.
- Continental DSWs are lighter tires than the OEM 22's
- Continental DSWs have a smaller contact patch that the OEM 22's

Those combined should give you some range back. Of course as you noted, stepping down the actual width of the tire; or going with a less sticky tire would also increase your range back towards that of a 22.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I have 22" TSportline MX115 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tires. Compared to my OEM 20", the larger wheel and tire combo is much less efficient. I thought the significant weight savings of the MX115 would help, but I have not seen it.

When I look into your package, I think I can see why you're still experiencing a lot of loss.

If we take the wheel weight along and subtract Tsportline's claimed 36%; it would give you a wheel weight of ~24lbs FR/26lbs RR. When you add the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's, (33lbs FR / 36lbs RR) your combo weight is 57lbs FR/62lbs RR. Comparatively, an OEM 20 set weighs in at 32lbs FR, 33.2lbs RR plus 30lbs for the tires for a total weight of 62lbs FR/ 63.2lbs RR. Overall, you have a weight savings of 8% on the fronts and 2% on the rear.

When we combine that with a look at your tread width, the Goodyears have a 9.9" FR contact patch; 10.5" RR contact patch. The OEM 20's have a 8.5" FR and 8.9" RR. That's increased road friction of 16.5% FR and 18% rear. Great for handling, not so much for efficiency. The tires are also stickier compound; the Goodyears are a Max Summer Tire with a AA traction rating. This most likely wipes out the weight savings and increases your energy usage.

For additional comparison OEM 22's (37.6lbs FR/40.4lbs RR) and Pirelli Scorpion Zero (27lbs FR/35lbs RR) have a combination weight of 64.6 FR/75.4 RR - heavier by 4% FR/19% RR. The OEM Pirellis have tread widths of 9.1" FR and 10" RR wider by 7% FR/12% RR. My OEM 20" wheels w/Conti's get about 370wh/mi. My OEM 22"s wheels w/Pirelli's get ~410wh/mi - about a 11% difference overall.

If you're looking for efficiency, these are the ones that should help and in comparison to OEM 22 Pirelli Scorpion Zeros. These are all lighter and have smaller contact patches.
  1. Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06
  2. Yokohama PArada Spec-X
  3. Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Plus - Non OE
If you went with MX115 + Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. You would end up with a package that weighs 51lbs FR / 61lbs RR; which are lighter 18% FR / 3% Rear; with an increase tread width of 7% FR / 12% RR - all in comparison to the OEM 20 package. They would also be in the Ultra High Performance All-Season category; which is not as soft and sticky and be a middle ground between what the OEM 20's are and the Goodyears you have.

I would suspect with that combination, you might actually achieve a consumption that is more on par with the OEM 20's.

I just ordered a MX 75D with the 22” wheels. What kind of range do you get?

The MX75D rated range assumes a usage of 320wh/mi. I personally saw an avg of 370wh/mi on 20” wheels which is roughly a max range of 205 miles. On 22” wheels I see an average of 410wh/mi which is 185 miles of range. Yours will differ depending on your driving climate.

Why is everyone worried about range so much? Superchargers are everywhere these days. I have OEM 22" wheels+tires and never had any problems. I do a lot of long distance driving.

Because it does matter. I do a lot of long distance driving as well, and agree hat I’ve never had to worry about range. Where I do have to worry is during a series of local driving. With 20” wheels I don’t remember having any worries. That little bit mattered in only 2 situations with the 22” wheels. The first is a pretty routine day that just involved a lot of kid pickups, drop offs and errands.

The second truly upset me. Mostly because of the situation itself, but undeniable that it would’ve been a moot point if I had my 20s on that day.

I charge to 90% nightly - 213 miles. Just recently I went from Home to Work (60miles rated used,) got a call that my wife was taken via ambulance to the hospital. Work to hospital took another 20 rated miles of range. Luckily she was ok, but admitted. Hospital to home to pick up an overnight bag - 45 rated miles, plugged in while I packed. Then to pick up kids, drop them off at in laws - 20 rated miles. I knew it would take 40 rates miles to get back to the hospital leaving me about 50 miles of range. That 50 miles would have to last me any overnight discharge and I needed 45 rated miles to get back.

Option 1: Leave it on a nearby L2 Charger and Lyft it.
Option 2: Take a 35min each way detour to the nearest supercharger.
Option 3: I swore I saw chargers at the hospital.

I took the chance on option 3 and I was right. Unfortunately I was told by the front desk the chargers were for staff only and I wasn’t allowed to use any of the dozen available chargers. One person said “You have an electric car? Good luck with that” I was fuming, and I believe rightfully so. But the reality is if I had just an extra 20 miles of range, it would’ve been a non issue.

I ended up going with Option 1 and picked the car back up several hours later. The extra range would have definitely helped that day. I understand that’s not an everyday occurance, but I worry more about range on back and forth travel than I do about long distance road trips. Those are a piece of cake.

• Informative
Reactions: Pentium2004
Why is everyone worried about range so much? Superchargers are everywhere these days. I have OEM 22" wheels+tires and never had any problems. I do a lot of long distance driving.

In most cases you are right, one worries about that the trip you do like once a year requires some extra time for charging. On day to day basis the 22 inches make no difference. But its great that if you choose the right 22s you save money on the purchase and get better range.

When I look into your package, I think I can see why you're still experiencing a lot of loss.

If we take the wheel weight along and subtract Tsportline's claimed 36%; it would give you a wheel weight of ~24lbs FR/26lbs RR. When you add the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's, (33lbs FR / 36lbs RR) your combo weight is 57lbs FR/62lbs RR. Comparatively, an OEM 20 set weighs in at 32lbs FR, 33.2lbs RR plus 30lbs for the tires for a total weight of 62lbs FR/ 63.2lbs RR. Overall, you have a weight savings of 8% on the fronts and 2% on the rear.

When we combine that with a look at your tread width, the Goodyears have a 9.9" FR contact patch; 10.5" RR contact patch. The OEM 20's have a 8.5" FR and 8.9" RR. That's increased road friction of 16.5% FR and 18% rear. Great for handling, not so much for efficiency. The tires are also stickier compound; the Goodyears are a Max Summer Tire with a AA traction rating. This most likely wipes out the weight savings and increases your energy usage.

For additional comparison OEM 22's (37.6lbs FR/40.4lbs RR) and Pirelli Scorpion Zero (27lbs FR/35lbs RR) have a combination weight of 64.6 FR/75.4 RR - heavier by 4% FR/19% RR. The OEM Pirellis have tread widths of 9.1" FR and 10" RR wider by 7% FR/12% RR. My OEM 20" wheels w/Conti's get about 370wh/mi. My OEM 22"s wheels w/Pirelli's get ~410wh/mi - about a 11% difference overall.

If you're looking for efficiency, these are the ones that should help and in comparison to OEM 22 Pirelli Scorpion Zeros. These are all lighter and have smaller contact patches.
  1. Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06
  2. Yokohama PArada Spec-X
  3. Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Plus - Non OE
If you went with MX115 + Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. You would end up with a package that weighs 51lbs FR / 61lbs RR; which are lighter 18% FR / 3% Rear; with an increase tread width of 7% FR / 12% RR - all in comparison to the OEM 20 package. They would also be in the Ultra High Performance All-Season category; which is not as soft and sticky and be a middle ground between what the OEM 20's are and the Goodyears you have.

I would suspect with that combination, you might actually achieve a consumption that is more on par with the OEM 20's.

Good info to think about with my next tire purchase.