Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative charging networks/plans to Supercharger Network?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new owner of a Model X and would like to ask other people's in the community on their choice for an alternative charging networks to Supercharger.

I am living in the Bay Area so there are a lot of options out there so it's a bit confusing. My highest priority is charging speed. This is to accommodate my frequent weekend day trips to Napa, Sonoma, Monterey/Carmel, etc. While I know that the Supercharger Network extends to those areas, I just want to reduce my overall reliance on charging options/locations.

Thanks all.

If your priority is charging speed, there are no other options. CHAdeMO stations (when they work) top out at less than half of the maximum speed of a Tesla supercharger.

Of course speed doesn't matter if you're otherwise occupied. If you can park at a J1772 charging station at your destination (of any network), even charging at 30A is helpful as the car would be parked anyway and you're off having fun at your destination.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Not sure what you are getting at, because as you said plenty of supercharging options for those areas.

Next fastest option would be ChaDeMo, you’ll need to buy the adapter. Chargepoint probably had the most of these in the Bay Area. Browse PlugShare to find what you’re looking for.

Edit: also lots of places in Napa, Sonoma, Monterey have destination chargers on site. Check PlugShare at your favorite places

Supercharging will be your fastest charging option, and Tesla has worked to place Superchargers at locations that a most useful to travelers.

If for some reason you're on a route with poor Supercharger coverage (highly unlikely on the west coast), a CHAdeMO adapter will provide roughly half the top speed of a Supercharger. They're also frequently less conveniently located, typically at a business that wants you to stop for an hour or longer. You'll have to pay to use most CHAdeMO chargers, and they're on three or four different networks that require separate registrations to set up payment. PlugShare is a great app for finding all of them, though.

Thanks for the input. To clarify my question, I will mostly use Supercharger, though I just want to find alternative options instead of having to plan my day around a charging station.

To elaborate a bit more using an example: Napa Valley and Sonoma areas have only one Supercharger, but it's in the outskirt of the valleys and not in an area that has a lot of things to do (just off the highway). So if I only use Supercharger, then I will have to spend about an hour for charging with nothing to do while wating. However, if I can increase my charging coverage with some reasonable reduction in charging speed I can spend my day more efficiently. At the same time I don't want to just blindly use any EV charging station out there since their charging capabilities vary too much, and I don't want to get to the practice of having to plug in the car every single stops (because they are all slow for example). And thus, I am looking for another network that is relatively fast, and reliable, in addition to the Superchargers.

Reactions: McManX
Check out PlugShare, it'll give you a better idea of CHAdeMO chargers in the vicinity of where you're looking to charge. ChargePoint, Blink, and Greenlots are the most likely networks you'll be looking at — doesn't hurt to set up an account with each.

Thanks Derek, this is helpful. How fast is CHAdeMO in general? I saw 130miles/hr top is that right (X 100D)?

Good luck with that.

Did I just set myself up for trouble? :)

How fast is CHAdeMO in general? I saw 130miles/hr top is that right (X 100D)?
150 miles/hr is the fastest you'll find. I've charged on several CHAdeMO units and the best I've seen on my S 75D was around 100 miles/hr. It's all down to what the charger offers, and those I've used didn't surpass 50kW (Superchargers hit 120kW).

Charge speed tapers off as the battery fills to prevent damage, so that 150 miles/hour you might see for the first hour (from empty), but the rest of your charge will be slower and slower.

• Helpful
Reactions: trumantrader
150 miles/hr is the fastest you'll find. I've charged on several CHAdeMO units and the best I've seen on my S 75D was around 100 miles/hr. It's all down to what the charger offers, and those I've used didn't surpass 50kW (Superchargers hit 120kW).

Charge speed tapers off as the battery fills to prevent damage, so that 150 miles/hour you might see for the first hour (from empty), but the rest of your charge will be slower and slower.

Again, very helpful. Thanks.

Check out PlugShare, it'll give you a better idea of CHAdeMO chargers in the vicinity of where you're looking to charge. ChargePoint, Blink, and Greenlots are the most likely networks you'll be looking at — doesn't hurt to set up an account with each.
Many of the CHAdeMO units in California are on the EVgo network. A lot of them installed at grocery stores (Save Mart, Raley's, etc.)

A few thoughts for OP (congrats on the new Model X BTW!), from a Bay Area Model S owner:

1. You're concerned about waiting for an hour somewhere to charge at a Supercharger. Remember that unlike an ICE car you probably won't be "filling the tank" to full all the time you charge. Just charge enough to get you to your next charging stop, or to get you home if you're on your last leg. (Charging is slower the more full your battery is.) Yes this requires a little bit of advance planning, but not a lot for the destinations you named.

2. You might be able to go out and back without charging for some of these trips...have you planned them out with one of the trip planning Web sites or apps? (I'm assuming you can start your trips with a full battery.)

3. I bought a CHAdeMO adapter shortly after I got my car 2.5 years ago. I've used it twice (admittedly I really really really needed it those two times, because I was going to a part of California where, at the time, there were no Superchargers). I still bring it (plus my J1772 adapter) if I'm leaving the Bay Area, but Supercharging has sufficed for all the places I've been. I carry EVgo and ChargePoint cards in the car.

4. Remember that not all charging locations are equal. In addition to the energy delivery differences mentioned upthread, a lot of EVgo and ChargePoint installations have somewhere between 1-4 charging stalls...the EVgo and ChargePoint stalls closest to my house seem to be permanently filled with short-range EVs. I think the smallest Bay Area Supercharger has 8 stalls and most have more.

In my experience, if you're going to be within day trip range of the Bay Area, you can rely on the Supercharger network, with your J1772 adapter as a backup.

This might be worth a read...it was written for the Model S (before the Model X existed) but a lot of is applicable to the Model X (and Model 3 for that matter):

The Rules of Model S Road Tripping

Bruce.

A few thoughts for OP (congrats on the new Model X BTW!), from a Bay Area Model S owner:

1. You're concerned about waiting for an hour somewhere to charge at a Supercharger. Remember that unlike an ICE car you probably won't be "filling the tank" to full all the time you charge. Just charge enough to get you to your next charging stop, or to get you home if you're on your last leg. (Charging is slower the more full your battery is.) Yes this requires a little bit of advance planning, but not a lot for the destinations you named.

2. You might be able to go out and back without charging for some of these trips...have you planned them out with one of the trip planning Web sites or apps? (I'm assuming you can start your trips with a full battery.)

3. I bought a CHAdeMO adapter shortly after I got my car 2.5 years ago. I've used it twice (admittedly I really really really needed it those two times, because I was going to a part of California where, at the time, there were no Superchargers). I still bring it (plus my J1772 adapter) if I'm leaving the Bay Area, but Supercharging has sufficed for all the places I've been. I carry EVgo and ChargePoint cards in the car.

4. Remember that not all charging locations are equal. In addition to the energy delivery differences mentioned upthread, a lot of EVgo and ChargePoint installations have somewhere between 1-4 charging stalls...the EVgo and ChargePoint stalls closest to my house seem to be permanently filled with short-range EVs. I think the smallest Bay Area Supercharger has 8 stalls and most have more.

In my experience, if you're going to be within day trip range of the Bay Area, you can rely on the Supercharger network, with your J1772 adapter as a backup.

This might be worth a read...it was written for the Model S (before the Model X existed) but a lot of is applicable to the Model X (and Model 3 for that matter):

The Rules of Model S Road Tripping

Bruce.

Thanks for the detailed reply Bruce. I just did a trip to Napa yesterday and you are right, it can easily be done without any charging even though I had several detours. I will probably get an EVgo card just in case, though thanks to a 300-mile range, things don't seem as bad as other friends of mine with non-Tesla EVs have warned.

@trumantrader

There is another charging network that is relatively fast (2-3 times as fast as most public chargers) and can be helpful: Tesla's destination charging network.

You can view locations at Tesla.com under "find us." Turn off the superchargers, service centers, and stores to see only destination chargers on the map.

If any destinions that you visit have these, you will likely not have to stop at a supercharger. Also check for other public charging at your destinations. They will be a big help. Athough they are slower than Tesla's destination chargers it may not matter if you spend enough time there, or if you only need a few extra miles to get back home.

GSP

Thanks for the detailed reply Bruce. I just did a trip to Napa yesterday and you are right, it can easily be done without any charging even though I had several detours. I will probably get an EVgo card just in case, though thanks to a 300-mile range, things don't seem as bad as other friends of mine with non-Tesla EVs have warned.
What’s a non-Tesla EV, and why would you listen to anyone who has such a thing?