Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative condo charging solution to ChargePoint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in an big condo building (60+ units with a 2-story underground garage) and we are trying to find a company similar to ChargePoint that provides all the billing and metering service on top of just selling an EV charger.

The issue with ChargePoint is that their EV chargers only communicates via cell signal. There is no cell signal in most part of our garage and their chargers do not accept Wi-Fi or ethernet plug-in.

Does anyone know of any other companies that provide service similar to ChargePoint, but with EV chargers that take Wi-Fi or Ethernet hardwire?

There are a number of different companies you could check out like Flo, EnelX (JuiceBox), SemaConnect that have charging services. Surely at least one of them has a wi-fi solution.

Tesla has something in this area, but it's currently limited to Tesla vehicles. Still, you might want to contact Tesla anyway at least to give them a nudge.
Tesla added billing capability. It's early days, but somebody posted about being billed on their account when visiting a location with a guest HPWC.
There was an interview on FullyCharged with somebody whose company does large installs who talked about how Tesla was looking to expand significantly in MDU charging.
The more contact they have on this the better.

There are a number of different companies you could check out like Flo, EnelX (JuiceBox), SemaConnect that have charging services. Surely at least one of them has a wi-fi solution.

Tesla has something in this area, but it's currently limited to Tesla vehicles. Still, you might want to contact Tesla anyway at least to give them a nudge.
Tesla added billing capability. It's early days, but somebody posted about being billed on their account when visiting a location with a guest HPWC.
There was an interview on FullyCharged with somebody whose company does large installs who talked about how Tesla was looking to expand significantly in MDU charging.
The more contact they have on this the better.
Thanks. I looked up those company. Flo's and SemaConnect's devices only communicate via cell signal. EnelX does Wifi, which will be a lot easier as we have ethernet wired on each floor. I'll provide that option to our HOA to investigate.

Our garage has both Tesla and non-Tesla EVs as well as hybrids, so I'm sure our HOA will prefer a non-Tesla option.

Another option is a cell booster. It’s an added cost but might help in this situation. I don’t have a ton of experience with those but I know different carriers also have mini cell devices that plug into Ethernet and act as a mini cell tower. They will usually provide these at No or low cost if you have very low signal in your building. The only issue with that is that you would need to have an account with the provider.

Maybe ChargePoint could assist there? I can’t imagine ChargePoint hasn’t run into this issue before several times or more.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Another option is a cell booster. It’s an added cost but might help in this situation. I don’t have a ton of experience with those but I know different carriers also have mini cell devices that plug into Ethernet and act as a mini cell tower. They will usually provide these at No or low cost if you have very low signal in your building. The only issue with that is that you would need to have an account with the provider.

Maybe ChargePoint could assist there? I can’t imagine ChargePoint hasn’t run into this issue before several times or more.
I have used weBoost | Cell Phone Signal Boosters for Home, Cars, RVs & More with pretty good success before. They have commercial applications, but if memory serves me I’ve just bought some of their home units $5-600 (a few years ago), and used 100’ coax cable. Put the antenna up against a window and ran the unit into the interior of the building. In OP’s case he’s probably not trying to blanket the whole garage, so a home unit should work. Also Chargepoint will work without cell signal if you have NFC card or on your phone. If the cell goes down for whatever reason.

I have used weBoost | Cell Phone Signal Boosters for Home, Cars, RVs & More with pretty good success before. They have commercial applications, but if memory serves me I’ve just bought some of their home units $5-600 (a few years ago), and used 100’ coax cable. Put the antenna up against a window and ran the unit into the interior of the building. In OP’s case he’s probably not trying to blanket the whole garage, so a home unit should work. Also Chargepoint will work without cell signal if you have NFC card or on your phone. If the cell goes down for whatever reason.
Its worth noting that the weBoost relies on a decent cell signal nearby your place-of-use. That's probably fine for this application.

A true microcell(aka femtocell) is a cell-tower-emulating device that has a range of a few hundred feet(tops), and could be used absolutely anywhere you have wired ethernet(or even wireless ethernet, if you have the right adapter and/or femtocell). It requires absolutely no actual cell signal in the area.

EverCharge sounds to be what you are looking for. My building uses it and I am working on getting my personal charger set up. It connects to WiFi, I think there is also a cellular option.

I live in an big condo building (60+ units with a 2-story underground garage) and we are trying to find a company similar to ChargePoint that provides all the billing and metering service on top of just selling an EV charger.

The issue with ChargePoint is that their EV chargers only communicates via cell signal. There is no cell signal in most part of our garage and their chargers do not accept Wi-Fi or ethernet plug-in.

Does anyone know of any other companies that provide service similar to ChargePoint, but with EV chargers that take Wi-Fi or Ethernet hardwire?

I cannot speak to how well this would work, but they do sell cell signal boosters…

Chargepoint has wifi listed on the data sheet for every charger they make.

"Everything You Need to Know About ChargePoint Stations | ChargePoint" https://www.chargepoint.com/products/guides#ct4000

The commercial Chargepoint systems e.g. CT4000 can use several different networking types. The typical installation will have mostly non-gateway chargers that communicate over 2.4GHz WiFi to a gateway model that has an additional 3G or 4G modem. Internally they have provisions for several other communication networks for unique applications.