Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was near the Tesla service center today, so I decided to stop in and ask a few questions.
One of which was about installation of a Dashcam. His comment was that tesla won't install any aftermarket changes and would suggest against getting a cam that requires cutting into the cars electrical wires (or running them through he headliner for that matter)

He noted seeing several cars with electrical issues later on from the cams.
Does anyone have an alternative that still looks good? Or know if the service center is just over exaggerating?

thanks!

Taking delivery in sept and getting my ducks in a row.

He noted seeing several cars with electrical issues later on from the cams.
Does anyone have an alternative that still looks good? Or know if the service center is just over exaggerating?

There are two basic ways to do this. One is to hock it up to an existing wire somewhere under the liner or dash board. The other way is to use the 12 Volt outlet and just run the wire to the camera. If someone has some knowledge of electric wiring, they can do it without any issues. Using the 12 Volt outlet definitely has no negative effect on the car or it's electrical system. Of course Tesla will not officially recommend anything that isn't coming from the factory and is officially approved. But that doesn't mean it is harmful to the car.

Frankly I think car manufacturers should provide 12 Volt ot 5 Volt power at the headliner to easy Dash cam installation. Those cameras can save a lot of trouble and once they are common and people have to assume they are being recorded while driving will make people act more responsible.

I absolutely recommend getting power from the cig lighter. That way they cant come back and say you modified the electrical system; because you didn't. The trick is getting the cable across the headliner, down the A pillar, under the dash, and through the center console. Even if you had the special connector up by the rear-view mirror, I wouldn't use it.

Now on all cars produced after a certain time period, there is a secret fused wire by the passenger footwell that is for aftermarket installations that need power. Tesla doesn't broadcast this, but they put it in. You can find more info about elsewhere on here.