Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Top pickers get tripped up and shorts get squashed by Elon's innovative 21st century companies, Tesla and SolarCity. Find other stocks or ETFs for range trading. These two are rare generational wealth builders. I'm standing pat for the long term in both of them.

So far your strategy has been spot on. Everyone is in a different place with different strategies but ultimately the goal is to make money. I feel fortunate to have gotten in on these companies when they were insanely cheap. I don't feel like they are cheap anymore and have to cash out. I believe they will earn these levels eventually and the market is forward thinking but for now, it's so much so fast. I'e made considerable money and I'm keeping cash on hand as well.

But I have a good feeling that these stocks are just being squeezed and that they simply aren't going to go down in value. And as you've said before, keep your money in good companies. These companies Musk has built clearly are. It's tough when such a massive part of your portfolio was in these companies and you've seen it quadruple in a couple months. I have to take some money, I just have to. I could be selling myself short too.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I replaced my shares with Jun $40 calls. If they beat, I'll be a happy man. If earnings are bad, I'll lose it and just buy back the shares when the dust settles.

Much happier having locked in some of this outrageous move.

Sounds like a good play.

So far your strategy has been spot on. Everyone is in a different place with different strategies but ultimately the goal is to make money. I feel fortunate to have gotten in on these companies when they were insanely cheap. I don't feel like they are cheap anymore and have to cash out. I believe they will earn these levels eventually and the market is forward thinking but for now, it's so much so fast. I'e made considerable money and I'm keeping cash on hand as well.

But I have a good feeling that these stocks are just being squeezed and that they simply aren't going to go down in value. And as you've said before, keep your money in good companies. These companies Musk has built clearly are. It's tough when such a massive part of your portfolio was in these companies and you've seen it quadruple in a couple months. I have to take some money, I just have to. I could be selling myself short too.

^^ and this is exactly why massive short squeezes are net negative on the value of a company imo (not short but massive squeezes); They force good long term investors out as the dangers of reverse are just too much risk- they put multiple years of profit on the table today, only to pull it off again. As such, they give the company and the stock a speculative reputation that can be difficult to correct.

Curt, what is the bull scenario for SCTY in a few years and at what point do they generate a profit? I can see the potential, but have no idea how to put a value on the stock at this point.
Just as with Tesla Motors, Elon is driving SolarCity to be far in front of the competition in an innovative and disruptive 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century business. SolarCity’s leasing model will provide for a large, steady and sure income for decades to come. However while they are in the build-up stage, installation costs exceed current income. If they were to immediately halt installations, quarterly profits would soon follow. But they are looking ahead and going for the big jackpot of long term profits. Stock market valuations can ignore poor short term fundamentals, if the prospect of future earnings is great. Look for SolarCity to become the Home Depot or Walmart of the solar electricity distribution industry.

I tried to buy a substantial position in SCTY on the IPO, but wasn't able to get any... Beating myself up about that now but hey, what's done is done. Last week I did buy 3 call contracts, Oct'13 $22.5. They are now up 220%. What would you guys advice: would it be wise to exercise these pre-earnings to get in on the actual stock rather than rolling them or cashing out? And if so, what would be good timing for exercising?

Is anybody holding into earnings? I know Solarcity made quite a few new deals recently so I'm wondering if we should be expecting a beat.

I'm holding into earnings- but not with options- just my stock position; I think the earnings call will be a sell on the news event- but I won't be playing it with my stock position; instead I may pick up a put while holding the stock position