TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Alternative Energy ITC extended for 3+years

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by tga, Dec 19, 2015.

1. tga

tga Active Member

I can't believe there isn't a thread about this already. Mods, I checked Energy, Environment, and Policy and News and didn't see anything. Feel free to merge or delete if I missed something.

A friend of mine who works for a local solar installer told about this last night over a beer. Yesterday, Congress passed the spending bill which extends the 30% investment tax credit for alternative energy for 3 years, after which it slowly ramps down becoming permanent at 10% in 2022.

Congress Passes Tax Credits for Solar and Wind: | Greentech Media

In a compromise, the 40 year old ban on exports of US oil was lifted, but "independent analysts found that the deal would be a net positive for the climate. Although emissions would increase slightly because of increased drilling activity, they would be easily offset by increasing renewable energy development and decreased coal consumption."

2. JeffS

JeffS Member

Also worth noting (and double checking with your accountant) it is my understanding this also reengages the 30% credit for charging equipment in your home up to $1,000.