Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative/faster routes based on real time traffic?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trevor B

Apr 2, 2016
USA
Does such an option exist for the navigator? Similar to what we have in Google Maps, where alternative options are suggested (enroute) based on real time traffic.

It's a good thing I also chart the route using Google Maps on my phone. I've never seen the navigator offer alternative suggestions enroute.

Yes. I've had some "interesting" drives due to traffic tie ups. Once after leaving the Allentown supercharger, with nav set for Tarrytown NY, it routed me north out of town, on little back roads, and ended up near the Delaware Water Gap. It kind of seemed like a weird wrong way trip, but i ended up getting there the same time as I would have the normal way.

When driving around town it does the same, often finding great routes that save time that I wouldn't have thought of.

Yes. I've had some "interesting" drives due to traffic tie ups. Once after leaving the Allentown supercharger, with nav set for Tarrytown NY, it routed me north out of town, on little back roads, and ended up near the Delaware Water Gap. It kind of seemed like a weird wrong way trip, but i ended up getting there the same time as I would have the normal way.

When driving around town it does the same, often finding great routes that save time that I wouldn't have thought of.

Was this the route it initially suggested or did it change enroute? I can't seem to get the latter

Does such an option exist for the navigator?

It does not show you alternate routes at the beginning, nor does it show you them in real-time as you are driving. However, there is a setting where you can tell it how much time difference there needs to be before it re-routes you as you are driving. So, for example, you can tell it to only re-route you mid-trip if it will make more than a 10 min difference.

It does not show you alternate routes at the beginning, nor does it show you them in real-time as you are driving. However, there is a setting where you can tell it how much time difference there needs to be before it re-routes you as you are driving. So, for example, you can tell it to only re-route you mid-trip if it will make more than a 10 min difference.

Ah!!!! Thanks ... I should RTFM :)