TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Alternative Fuel Vehicle License Plate - Georgia

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by gunners123, Jul 20, 2018.

1. gunners123

gunners123 Member

Question for folks in Georgia. When I received my car I did not get a AFV license plate. Is this normal? Do I have to go to the tag office after receiving delivery to change my license plate? Also, it seems that there is an annual fee of $200 for this license plate - is that correct?

2. JulienW

JulienW Member

$213.69+$20 tag fee.

3. terrywhite

terrywhite Member

Yes that is normal as you pay extra for it if you want it. I just took the plate that came in the mail to the tag office, paid the fee and walked out with the AFV one.

4. gunners123

gunners123 Member

Thanks! Is there any true benefit outside of the HOV lane access? I am wondering if I should just save the $200 annual fee by not changing the plate

5. firedfly

firedfly New Member

When you have a full electric vehicle, you are required to pay the $200 annual fee no matter what tag you have. So, I believe the cost difference is $35/yr for the special tag. You'll get HOV lane access with a single occupant and free toll lane access on the I-85 toll lane north of town. The I-75 toll lanes (south and the future ones north of town) you won't get any discount when using--so you'll be just like a normal car.

Note that this information is what I've gathered in my own research. I just took delivery of my Model 3 a week ago and do not have first hand experience.

• Like x 1
  6. nogajim

nogajim Member

But you did some good research. The $200+fee is unavoidable for a battery powered car. You have to pay the $35/year plus a one time $25 tag fee to get the AFV plate. It’s outrageous, but I just think of it as a jealousy tax.

• Funny x 1
  7. gunners123

gunners123 Member

Ha, I like the jealousy tax concept :)

8. gunners123

gunners123 Member

Thanks! This is helpful