Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Fuel Vehicle License Plate - Georgia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could give you a 10 page essay on SC roads and funding lol. They are making much better progress now since 2017 when they voted to raise the gas tax 2 cents every year for 6 years, which was the first increase in 30 years. The problem in SC is you have years and years of projects that never got remotely close to funded so now you're so far behind you're just treading water as quickly as you can. For example, I-85 widening from Spartanburg to the NC state line, the malfunction junction in Columbia where I-20, I-26, and I-126 all merge, I-26 widening, I-20 widening, I-95 widening, etc. The list goes on and on. 2 lane interstates is Dwight Eisenhower era and all should be outlawed and widened to 3 lanes minimum everywhere in the country. These SC highway projects were no brainers in 2000 and it's now 2021.
Malfunction junction 😄 - first I've heard of the term.

I used to make that Atlanta to Charlotte commute at least once every couple of weeks. It feels like that stretch of I-85 has been in construction for the last 10 years.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Malfunction junction 😄 - first I've heard of the term.

I used to make that Atlanta to Charlotte commute at least once every couple of weeks. It feels like that stretch of I-85 has been in construction for the last 10 years.
I-85 is one of the most traversed corridors between Atlanta and Charlotte for sure. They just finished the I-85 and I-385 interchange project last year which is a very good interchange now with virtually no traffic at peak times. They started the Spartanburg to NC state line widening in 2017 and were supposed to be done in late 2021 and now they are saying late 2023. That will be very nice once completed but since NC hasn't widened their side, there will be a bottleneck NB into NC at the state line where it will go down from 3 to 2 lanes for 10 miles and then back to 3 lanes and then 4 lanes before Charlotte. Sometime after that widening to the NC state line they are moving south of Spartanburg and widening about ~30 miles from 3 lanes to 4 lanes. The infrastructure has lagged behind for so long and is now trying to catch up plus the rapid growth of Upstate SC isn't helping (I live in the Greenville area). It's never ending catch up but at least they are actually trying now.

Like I said, I can write you a book on it 😄

Has anyone actually tried to travel the I-75 I-575 express lanes with a peach pass, with an AFV tag registered with peach pass, to see if they actually charge you? I was hoping with my non-toll account that it wouldnt register.

Has anyone actually tried to travel the I-75 I-575 express lanes with a peach pass, with an AFV tag registered with peach pass, to see if they actually charge you? I was hoping with my non-toll account that it wouldnt register.
Non-Toll Mode ONLY works on I85 Express Lanes.

EDIT: While it doesn't say this 3 or more occupancy is for ICE. EV's can use Non-Toll Mode with a single person (unless that recently changed).

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 2.25.34 PM.png

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I'm probably asking this question WAY in advance, but we're planning on moving to the Alpharetta/Johns Creek area later this year. Coming from NJ I am used to being taxed to all hell and beyond, but I assume when it's time for me to convert my license/plates/reg to Georgia* I will have to pay this AFV tax as well? Also saw mentions of the Peach Pass; I assume it's much like our NJ EZ-Pass and you get a little NFC device to put on your car.. Some replies in this thread look like good info on navigating both the AFV and PP at the same time.

* For those who relocated from another state, how long do you have to change over your license and plates before Mr Law says "Ok stop procrastinating dude." Weeks? Months?

Last edited:
There are two fees, one mandatory the other one optional.

The $200-ish fee is mandatory for pure electric cars.

The AFV tag is optional, and costs something like $50 (I dunno, I don't have one, preferring my vanity plate). HOV lane access is explained in the article I posted three comments up; it's not simple.

• Informative
Reactions: Trip McNealy
Hi everyone! I'm probably asking this question WAY in advance, but we're planning on moving to the Alpharetta/Johns Creek area later this year. Coming from NJ I am used to being taxed to all hell and beyond, but I assume when it's time for me to convert my license/plates/reg to Georgia* I will have to pay this AFV tax as well? Also saw mentions of the Peach Pass; I assume it's much like our NJ EZ-Pass and you get a little NFC device to put on your car.. Some replies in this thread look like good info on navigating both the AFV and PP at the same time.

* For those who relocated from another state, how long do you have to change over your license and plates before Mr Law says "Ok stop procrastinating dude." Weeks? Months?

See Chris’ explanation here: EV tax credits and fees - www.ElectrifyAtlanta.com and scroll up a couple to read about the optional AFV plate and PeachPass.

Just a quick: FIRST: No f'en ugly front plates. 👍

Also here are the relevant web sites that may or may not help much.

• Informative
Just a quick: FIRST: No f'en ugly front plates. 👍

Also here are the relevant web sites that may or may not help much.

Oh really? In GA no requirement for front plates??? SWEET.

Thanks for the links.. checked out the plate offerings - there is so many! I actually like the AFV one and the Back the Badge and PGA Golf one look cool too.

Reactions: Halldawg
Since I am rarely even near the HOV lanes, I guess I should just keep my veterans tag. Am I missing something?

No. Unless you need to use HOV by yourself, or you want to use the I85 Peachpass lane (does not apply to I75), then not really. I have it on my Model 3, since that is the car that does commuting when I have to do that as that can be a HUGE savings on I85, but we did not put it on the Model Y as my wife rarely does.

I was hoping to get the "support agriculture" license plate and not the AFV for my M3. I had the AFV on my blue Leaf but like the bright farm scene on the white paint M3. I'm disappointed to learn that the AFV is required for PeachPass single-occupancy non-toll mode. NC and FL users don't have a GA AFV so it seems like the transponder alone is a sufficient solution. I've got a family of 5 so most of the time I'm covered by the 3+ rule, but not always. I figure my options are a) let go of my vanity and get the AFV plate for the sole benefit of the occasional PP lane use; b) non-AFV and pay as usual, consider the saved $35 plate fee a starter fund; or c) non-AFV plate but have the transponder set to non-toll and risk a violation. My question, has anyone tried the non-AFV plate with non-toll mode combo with single-occupancy and could share your experience?

I was hoping to get the "support agriculture" license plate and not the AFV for my M3. I had the AFV on my blue Leaf but like the bright farm scene on the white paint M3. I'm disappointed to learn that the AFV is required for PeachPass single-occupancy non-toll mode. NC and FL users don't have a GA AFV so it seems like the transponder alone is a sufficient solution. I've got a family of 5 so most of the time I'm covered by the 3+ rule, but not always. I figure my options are a) let go of my vanity and get the AFV plate for the sole benefit of the occasional PP lane use; b) non-AFV and pay as usual, consider the saved $35 plate fee a starter fund; or c) non-AFV plate but have the transponder set to non-toll and risk a violation. My question, has anyone tried the non-AFV plate with non-toll mode combo with single-occupancy and could share your experience?
Are you saying NC and FL drivers can use the I85 HOV Express Lanes at no charge? Don't think that is correct since the HOV Express Lane privilege is part of paying GADOT the AFV fee that NC and FL states don't pay.