Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Jack Stand Point

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

DIYer here. Is it okay to place a jack stand under as I have done here?

Thanks.

B92CD19D-0887-4E13-88D5-36C2C97D1675.jpeg

Solution
not a good place for it, that's a moving part, generally you want it on the frame where it's nice and solid. Also the middle of the control arm could bend, it's not designed to take any vertical load at that point, it's strength is in locating the wheel and resisting lateral movements.
not a good place for it, that's a moving part, generally you want it on the frame where it's nice and solid. Also the middle of the control arm could bend, it's not designed to take any vertical load at that point, it's strength is in locating the wheel and resisting lateral movements.

Reactions: Perscitus
Upvote 0
Solution
Makes sense. I was hoping to not have to buy new jack stands but it looks like I'll have to get some. Was thinking about getting the ESCOs with the adapter pads. Thanks for the input.

Upvote 0
The Model 3 has no "proper" jack stand locations so what you've done there is safer than nothing but as @XPsionic mentioned, that control arm will pivot when loaded so not only will it allow the car to fall further than you might expect, it could actually kick the stand out in the process if the geometry is poor.

But that's not the real issue. Why are you jacking from the control arm? Is it because your jack has a cup that doesn't mate well with the proper jacking points? Just use a scrap of wood or buy a plastic adapter.

Jack stands aren't very useful on a Tesla since there are few things you would want to do that require climbing underneath. If you're rotating tires or modifying the suspension just use one jack to lift it as high as needed and don't go under it unless you slide a wheel or lumber in there first.

Reactions: Rmchrger
Upvote 0
I use the Rennstand jack stand. Works great. I am not comfortable working on the car with just a floorjack holding the car.
The annual brake maintenance requires pounding out pins with hammers and scrubbing with a wire brush. Jack stands seem like a requirement for that maintenance. You never know when the seal might fail on a hydraulic jack!

Upvote 0
I’ve seen a video on YT where the guy jacked up the front corner as high as possible from the jacking point and then placed a “regular” jack stand minus the extension insert piece under the rear corner jacking point. He did say this was a temporary use as he had the tesla stands on order. Note that this was for tire rotation, he didn’t go under the car.

Upvote 0