Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative repair options for windshield? Any 3rd party?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a quote for $1120 to replace my TM3 windshield. Got a pretty big rock chip + crack (12") of course right in front of my eyes as I drive.

Was expecting to be gouged, but not this much! Parts are around $580 was hoping to find someone willing to do it for a couple hundred in labor instead of doubling the amount by charging almost $600 for 2.5 hours of labor (I verified both labor costs and time spent).

On what planet do auto repair contractors make nearly $300 a hour in labor!?!? Are these guys going to handle my legal work as well? They make more than lawyers.....

Forgot to add, located in greater los angeles area.

That'll make a difference. In my area, all glass is covered by insurance 100%, as it is illegal to drive with a cracked window. Check with your insurance company, as I don't know the laws in CA. I never even ask the cost as they bill directly to insurance here after the work is completed (and they aren't allowed to raise your rates).

• Helpful
Reactions: Carolina Karl
Just got a quote for $1120 to replace my TM3 windshield. Got a pretty big rock chip + crack (12") of course right in front of my eyes as I drive.

Was expecting to be gouged, but not this much! Parts are around $580 was hoping to find someone willing to do it for a couple hundred in labor instead of doubling the amount by charging almost $600 for 2.5 hours of labor (I verified both labor costs and time spent).

On what planet do auto repair contractors make nearly $300 a hour in labor!?!? Are these guys going to handle my legal work as well? They make more than lawyers.....

The glass removal and replacement is very involved. I have read it in the service manual. Definitely a several hours job. Also you will need to calibrate the cameras afterwards. Only Safelite or Tesla so far can do the glass. And Safelite source that glass from Tesla.

Good luck.

yeah, any glass company can install the glass. Get some estimates and you'll see it's not much cheaper. Of course, your autopilot may not work afterwards.
This is a reminder to all to make sure you have glass insurance for your Tesla - even a few hundred deductible will give you a better option

OP, as a fellow Californian, the glass can be claimed on the comprehensive insurance. Depending on your deductible. You can also lower your deductible in the next few months and utilize it. As in, ask for a $250 deductible. I dunno how it affects the rates afterwards. I have a big star chip since one month of ownership but I quickly did a $10 repair with resin. So it has not spread to a 12" like yours. You will benefit from replacing it tbh.

Reactions: not4antoher
Any sane insurance agency will require an inspection on a deductible reduction specifically to prevent the type of insurance fraud you are suggesting here (because yes, that's what you're advocating he do).

The glass removal and replacement is very involved. I have read it in the service manual. Definitely a several hours job. Also you will need to calibrate the cameras afterwards. Only Safelite or Tesla so far can do the glass. And Safelite source that glass from Tesla.

Good luck.

Just wanted to say that I went to Safelite, had an appointment, got there and they had 1 in stock that wasn't there. Upon digging further, apparently they have cancelled all Tesla installs (don't shoot me for accuracy, this is just what i've been told) claiming that some bracket they got from their China supplier wasn't matching up and it was big problems for their installs.

They also confirmed Tesla refuses to sell to them, stating they had to go with a 3rd party manufacturer from China.

Just wanted to say that I went to Safelite, had an appointment, got there and they had 1 in stock that wasn't there. Upon digging further, apparently they have cancelled all Tesla installs (don't shoot me for accuracy, this is just what i've been told) claiming that some bracket they got from their China supplier wasn't matching up and it was big problems for their installs.

They also confirmed Tesla refuses to sell to them, stating they had to go with a 3rd party manufacturer from China.
Wow, I definitely would do it at tesla if it's few hundred more, like $900 vs $1200. At least with tesla, you have OEM everything and trained techs who only does tesla, and camera calibrations, etc. Also if it's messed up, you can just complain to tesla and hope they can fix it all later.

There are 2 sides i'm thinking about here. consumer side where it sucks there's no alternative, and it's not easy to get into an appointment window. I'm sure you can just show up, show them it's unsafe to drive with a 12" crack, and they'll check inventory for parts, if it si there, they'll do it for you within a few days. That's how they quoted me when I went in for a diff issue, and they said it can be done within 24 hrs, but i declined because it was $1300....

The other side is the business side. Way to monopolize here. aside from their vehicle sales, data gathering for autonomous driving, battery storage options, solar generation options, AI, hardware(FSD chip), they will eventually start realizing revenue from repair/maintenance department like traditional automaker. KEEP THAT TSLA UP BABY =p

FWIW I live in CA and specifically got $0 (zero dollar) deductible coverage on glass for my P3D+. Maybe adds $10/year to my premium.
What's your company, coverage, and premium? clean record? multi-car? multi-line? I'm only paying about $82/mo for my P3D-. I didn't find any insurance that offered that $0 windshield replacement coverage rider.

What's your company, coverage, and premium? clean record? multi-car? multi-line? I'm only paying about $82/mo for my P3D-. I didn't find any insurance that offered that $0 windshield replacement coverage rider.

I have been a long time AAA/CSAA insured. Clean record. 2 Teslas. Both drivers over 65. No kids. Single line (only auto coverage). I don't have all of the details in front of me ($$ premiums, etc), so can't help you there. YMMV.