Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting a little annoyed at my rims, I bought a 2017 S and it has the referral 21" Rims on, don't know the name, but any time I'm near a curb, if I'm in the same postal code it scratches the rims and for some reason takes chunks out of the very expensive tires.

I'm considering changing the rims out for smaller ones so there is more rubber, but I'm curious what size people find are the most comfortable for ride and lowest rolling resistance but still be reasonably good performance.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Reactions: rickyjb
Based on what you've said, 19" without a doubt. I had the same beef with the 21's even though I loved the size/look but opted for a set of wheels/tires I could live with instead. I opted for the 19" Arachnid replicas from Tsportline and love them. Ride better, smoother, less worry about curb dings, cheaper with less expensive and longer lasting tires, all-season tire options and lighter for more efficiency. If you think you want to order from Tsportline private message me for a referral code to save $50.

Based on what you've said, 19" without a doubt. I had the same beef with the 21's even though I loved the size/look but opted for a set of wheels/tires I could live with instead. I opted for the 19" Arachnid replicas from Tsportline and love them. Ride better, smoother, less worry about curb dings, cheaper with less expensive and longer lasting tires, all-season tire options and lighter for more efficiency. If you think you want to order from Tsportline private message me for a referral code to save $50.
Do you have any pictures? I'd think about this if they would just go on SALE!

Whats your opinions on 20's? Kind of a happy medium or price of wheels/tires not worth the extra inch?

From what I've read on the thread about putting 20" MX slipstreams on the MS, yes, they are as you'd expect - right in the middle of 19" and 21" in comfort and performance. I hear the choices in tires are better in 20" sizes. If I ever personally upgrade, I will likely move to a 20" size.

I´m happy with those. 21" and Pirelli, a phenomenal combo especially since Pirelli reworked their tires. Pirellis nowadays seem more quiet than the Contis, plus much more comfortable, plus they have the thickest curb
Bildschirmfoto 2019-11-12 um 14.40.02.jpg
protection layer.
Rims are from thenewaero

I run 21” Arachnid wheels most the year and 19” Slipstreams for the bottom/top of the year. I think hands down the Arachnids are the best looking Tesla wheel, they are stronger and lighter than any OEM alternative, have zero range penalty over the 19’s, and can be selected in the vehicle configuration to visually display animation properly on your dash as an OEM wheel and for accurate range/pressure calculations by the car

One of the reasons they look good is because of the way they sit on the car with that width and outward flare; unfortunately you do have to park more carefully to prevent curbing. Nonetheless, any tire/rim is going to get scratched with rubber cut and gouged if you don’t use reasonable care during the parking and obstacle navigation process.

Last edited:
What wheels are these? Are they forged?

I think these work well on that car in black. Any other color combination, forget it.

I´m happy with those. 21" and Pirelli, a phenomenal combo especially since Pirelli reworked their tires. Pirellis nowadays seem more quiet than the Contis, plus much more comfortable, plus they have the thickest curbView attachment 476042 protection layer.
Rims are from thenewaero

I just bought the slipstream 20 inch wheels from a Model X. They take 245/40 in the front and 275/35 in the rear and they have a higher offset, so they actually look so much better than even the OEM 21's as they come out right to the edge of the fender and absolutely no rubbing issues. I don't have them on my car yet as I will be installing them in May. I have the OEM 19's on now with winter tires going on later this week.

As others have stated the 20 inch tires come in all-season which are cheaper than Z-rated tires on the 21 inch wheels and last much longer. Here is a picture (not my car) of the Model X 20 inch slipstream on an S. Just look at how the fill the wheel well and come right to the edge of the fender. Just stunning in my opinion!
B95D02E0-EA67-4B1E-953A-BBB2CB372E2D.jpeg