Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

alternative tires for 18" wheel model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
oh, hey. hahah. so after a fun adventure taking my model 3 to an autocross event and noticing how aggressive the traction control / stability control is, my only other issue with my model 3 seems to come down to its stock tire option.
and after all this hoo-ha-ha about breaking distances i figured time for a new thread!

jumping over to tirerack, usually my go to spot for good rubber, i notice they rate the MXM4 as average. and its 500 rated utq5 is not what i usually look for in a "good" tire. i am sure tesla chose it for max range and what not, but i place driving dynamics over max range.

so with that said i am really looking at the continental extremeContact sport. i guess my only worry is the load index and rim width class, does anyone know the stock 18" rim width?

thoughts? @mattcrowley? :D

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
When the time comes to replace my stock tires I’m going with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06: https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Model+3&autoModClar=

I’ve had those on previous cars and was very happy with them. However if I end up getting another set of winter wheels/tires like I had with my Mustang, I plan on going with the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 for my winter set: https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Model+3&autoModClar=

Still undecided on my summer tire choice.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
When the time comes to replace my stock tires I’m going with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06:

Still undecided on my summer tire choice.

I have the summer version of that tire (Continental Extreme Contact DW) on my Acura RSX right now. It's a good tire. I had some Yokohamas before that were perhaps a little grippier, but the Continental is a lot quieter.

DWS is a great all-around tire, we've used them on my wife's Subaru for the last few tire purchases. I'm not a huge all-season fan, they're fairly marginal in the snow IMO (which is why I went with Xice3 for my Golf for the winter, and proper summer tires (Michelin PSS) for the rest of the year). But they should still be a huge upgrade from the factory tires.
Just get the right size, don't worry about rim width or load class. We're not talking about a light duty truck here. If you get the OE size, no worries about odometer inaccuracy or anything.