Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative tires for Long Range RWD Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've put on 19k miles in almost one year of driving. My steering wheel had a little rumble when going from my driver profile to "easy entry" mode. I brought it in to the service center and of course the problem couldn't be replicated. I'll have to wait until it consistently performs that way to bring it back in again. While waiting for them to take a look at that issue, the service advisor told me that my tires are down to 3 and 4/32 in the front and 5 and 6/32 in the rear. I rotated them once at around 10k. So I'll have to get new tires. He went further, saying that the M3 is a heavy car and will require new tires more often than traditional cars, 18-24 months was his estimate. Which is fine. He then recommended I look at some "cheaper" brands other than the OEM Michelin's. So long story leading to a short question. What tires have you used that have been satisfactory replacements?

Thank you.

I've put on 19k miles in almost one year of driving. My steering wheel had a little rumble when going from my driver profile to "easy entry" mode. I brought it in to the service center and of course the problem couldn't be replicated. I'll have to wait until it consistently performs that way to bring it back in again. While waiting for them to take a look at that issue, the service advisor told me that my tires are down to 3 and 4/32 in the front and 5 and 6/32 in the rear. I rotated them once at around 10k. So I'll have to get new tires. He went further, saying that the M3 is a heavy car and will require new tires more often than traditional cars, 18-24 months was his estimate. Which is fine. He then recommended I look at some "cheaper" brands other than the OEM Michelin's. So long story leading to a short question. What tires have you used that have been satisfactory replacements?

Thank you.
I'm going to assume you have the 18's since you said you have Michelin. I went from the Primacy MXM4 to the Primacy Tour A/S and have been happy with them over the last 1000 miles. They are $75 cheaper per tire but as far as I can tell just as good. Potentially slightly less grip in high speed cornering but really hard for me to tell a difference. Also, the mileage warranty on them is 10,000 miles more.

I'm going to assume you have the 18's since you said you have Michelin. I went from the Primacy MXM4 to the Primacy Tour A/S and have been happy with them over the last 1000 miles. They are $75 cheaper per tire but as far as I can tell just as good. Potentially slightly less grip in high speed cornering but really hard for me to tell a difference. Also, the mileage warranty on them is 10,000 miles more.
Pilot Sport 4S. There is no substitute :D

Thank you.
I have that exact same rumble when the steering wheel retracts.

Did you bring it in to the service center and did you get it fixed? It's very intermittent, maybe 1-2 out of 10 times when retracting forward does it rumble. Annoying and I'm hoping it'll be more serious so I can get it fixed before the warranty runs out.
Mine does it the majority of the time now. I had it at the SC about 10 months ago, but it didn’t make the noise at that time of course. I haven’t bothered to go back as it’s not that bothersome to me.

Whatever you do, do not use the Michelin X-Ice 3's. They are much softer, the rear end handling was far looser, and it threw the regen all to hell. They were back off my car within a week!

Why are you talking about winter/snow tires? Of course they would be soft. If I recall correctly from a year or so ago you also only put snow tires on your rear wheels. Which I have never heard of in my life.