Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative to 21" Turbines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So before I get called out for being cheap, $5500 is a ton of money to spend on a wheel/tire combination these days regardless that they're OEM. The fact that they're easily damaged also makes me hesitant however I'm a firm believer that they make the car. That being said, what alternatives are out there that look just as good for half of the price? Pics are welcomed :)

count me as cheap as well.....
2015 P85D
I prefer 20" wheels for (1) larger selection of available rubber and (2) a slightly larger tire sidewall for comfort/compliance. I love Pilot Super Sports for these types of applications; they are stickier, wear better and are less expensive than PS2s :)

Yep, I'm cheap.

Oh, and the wheels are 12 lbs or so lighter than the Tesla 21s.

count me as cheap as well.....
2015 P85D
I prefer 20" wheels for (1) larger selection of available rubber and (2) a slightly larger tire sidewall for comfort/compliance. I love Pilot Super Sports for these types of applications; they are stickier, wear better and are less expensive than PS2s :)

Yep, I'm cheap.

Oh, and the wheels are 12 lbs or so lighter than the Tesla 21s.

Those are pretty nice and would be a nice contrast to the solid white paint on my S60. Do you know if the factory Tesla caps will fit instead of the TSW's?

Tire Rack sells a knockoff Tesla Turbine wheel called the Axis MS in a 21" staggered size for the Model S. The wheels are significantly cheaper than the OEM Turbines and likely made just as well or better. As a bonus, Tire Rack will also sell you a matching set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s which I would take over the Continentals any day of the week.

Would you happen to know if the OEM Tesla caps will fit in the Axis wheel? I think the CEO of Axis is on this site who I can also ping as well.

Good info here. Thanks for the discussion on alternatives to theTurbine 21s. Whatever your decision is, consider the rim guard strips from Evannex for rims larger than 19s. They have saved my Turbine 21s a couple of times and relieve "parking curb anxiety" Check out Evannex.com for details.

TSportline TST 19".

DSC_0792 (1).jpg

DSC_0804.jpg

Since Tire Rack has been mentioned here a couple of times, has anyone had any issues with their TPMS not linking up to the Tesla? Any tips/tricks or do they just work?

I want a couple of mounted/balanced on the shelf ready for spares as my wife had two incidents already (road FOD, not curbs) and Tesla offers no road hazard for $500+.

TIA