Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative to 21" Turbines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two different types of sensors. Make sure you get the right ones for your car (my P85D took the new "Continental" ones which I bought directly from Tesla for $200/set of four). I installed the rims/tires and drove away. A message popped up on the center screen saying the car found new rims and asked if they were 19s or 21s, presumably for setting the low pressure values. I hit 21s and it has been happy ever since. Nice job Tesla for making that easy.

There are two different types of sensors. Make sure you get the right ones for your car (my P85D took the new "Continental" ones which I bought directly from Tesla for $200/set of four). I installed the rims/tires and drove away. A message popped up on the center screen saying the car found new rims and asked if they were 19s or 21s, presumably for setting the low pressure values. I hit 21s and it has been happy ever since. Nice job Tesla for making that easy.

Thanks man, longtime no type :)

in the selection on TR it asks about 85 and if they're staggered, mine is the old '13 so prob not the new versions. Thoughts?

count me as cheap as well.....
2015 P85D
I prefer 20" wheels for (1) larger selection of available rubber and (2) a slightly larger tire sidewall for comfort/compliance. I love Pilot Super Sports for these types of applications; they are stickier, wear better and are less expensive than PS2s :)

PSS are on my to-get list for summer. From the sharp hi-res shots I see you have 255/40 in the PSS... Probably slight bigger diameter than factory, any issue with rubbing on the fronts?

count me as cheap as well.....
2015 P85D
I prefer 20" wheels for (1) larger selection of available rubber and (2) a slightly larger tire sidewall for comfort/compliance. I love Pilot Super Sports for these types of applications; they are stickier, wear better and are less expensive than PS2s :)

Yep, I'm cheap.

Oh, and the wheels are 12 lbs or so lighter than the Tesla 21s.

+1 on 20" wheels. Much greater tire selection.

I installed the AlloyGators and they have been a life saver for my 21's. They are a PIA to install. But just yesterday I hit a rock on the side of my driveway when backing in and oh boy did they save the day. the rock practically ripped the Gator out, but saved the tire AND rim. From all my research, they seem to be the toughest out there.

Good info here. Thanks for the discussion on alternatives to theTurbine 21s. Whatever your decision is, consider the rim guard strips from Evannex for rims larger than 19s. They have saved my Turbine 21s a couple of times and relieve "parking curb anxiety" Check out Evannex.com for details.

PSS are on my to-get list for summer. From the sharp hi-res shots I see you have 255/40 in the PSS... Probably slight bigger diameter than factory, any issue with rubbing on the fronts?

I have the 255/40R20 PSS on mine. There is a slight rub in the front tires in reverse with the wheel turned close to either extremes. I don't mind it, but I was expecting the rubbing because others (e.g., lolachampcar) had mentioned it on previous threads.

- - - Updated - - -

It was indeed very easy to replace wheels and reset the TPMS. The funny thing was that when I was driving everything back from the wheel shop, the screen came up again -- saying that the car recognized new wheels. At first I thought it was a bug, but then I realized that the car was getting confused because there was eight TPMS modules in range. So when you reset the TPMS, be sure you're not carrying extra wheels in the car.

Happy to see this tread. I'm a firm believer that the 21s complete the look of the car. I have the 19s and installed winter tires on them. I'm looking to take them off asap and install a new set of wheels/tires. I'm considering the Vossen CVT's. I believe that is their new monoblock wheel. My shop suggested 20s in the front and 22s in the rear :eek: The stance would look pretty aggressive and I think I might just do it. Hoping to get some feedback from everyone on the larger wheels for my rear end :)

My alternative to the 21" Turbines

Tesla-Wheels-4.jpg

Tesla-Wheels-2.jpg

Tesla-Wheels-3.jpg