Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative to Andersen EV Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn’t qualify for the OLEV grant, so is £500 more expensive than all of the others.

The cable just loops around it when not in use, which is alright for indoor installation I guess but not so great for outdoor.

On the plus side it does have a button to open the charge port and can do load balancing with another one if applicable.

Its been OK with mine (Rolec not Tesla). I just dangle the plug over the charger (i.e. so plug is pointing downwards). Have been doing that at both home and work units for over 3 years without any noticeable effect from rain etc.

Yeah the Tesla unit is clearly designed to handle being installed outdoors (we have several at work), but the tethered cable with no storage is something that people may not want on the front of their house.

If I had a garage I’d probably have gone with Tesla just for the button, but as it is I went Andersen purely for the built in cable tidy.

It also requires a more expensive RCD circuit breaker as it does not have DC protection as built into some wall connectors, but TWC is a cheaper unit so partially offsets that extra cost.

Ah, they didn't mention this in the Tesla store. They just told us we can buy a charger and the government grant would knock £500 off. Looking back they didn't specifically say "Tesla charger" we just assumed that was what they were referring to. Thanks!

Thanks you you folks and this thread, I just took a look at the Andersen charger for my upcoming Model 3 and it's actually a beautifully engineered bit of kit I'd be pleased to have outside my house! I was hoping to go Tesla for completeness but I'm swayed now. Love it.

Any one on here got an Andersen in a two EV family? We're hoping to have the Tesla plus another EV for second car very soon. I'd be interested if any of you deploy the Andersen in such a setup and whether or not you get by with one or have two.

For those who haven't see it, I thought this video was a rather nice insight.

Canning the Tesla wall charger.......
My consumer unit is in the garage and I want to have the option to charge inside and outside the garage, ruling out TT earthing.
I have discovered the Tesla charger has no built in breakers, no dc fault protection or mains neutral/earth break sensing (TT earth rod).
The cost and complexity to add all these devices is huge.
My electrician recommended a Zappi smart charger which has all of these protections built in so the electrician just wires it in to the mains with about £100 worth of parts. And I get the 500 rebate. And it works with solar PV.
Simples....
(Btw, I got the last one until their next shipment in october, lucky me)