Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative to HomeLink module

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are looking for an alternative to having the HomeLink module installed and need to control an entry gate and your garage, I found a product that for only $24 and works great! I was planning to have the HomeLink module installed in my MY but got to thinking about the cost and didn’t like the idea of having a technician disassembling my frunk just to install the darn thing. So I began researching universal remote controls and found this unit at HomeDepot but it’s also available on Amazon:
Chamberlain Universal Clicker Black Garage Door Remote Control-KLIK3U-BK2 - The Home Depot

It was easy to program and works great. While you still have to press a button when leave or return to your garage, it’s the same functionality that I had in my X5 with HomeLink buttons on the rear view mirror. The Tesla HomeLink module cool factor (open/close upon approach and leaving) is really nice but not worth $300 in my opinion. I would much rather put those funds towards the acceleration boost which is exactly what I’m planning to do!

Anyone know how to return a HomeLink module to Tesla? :)

I guess a universal clicker would be useful if you have two openers you need to operate and neither of them came with a factory clicker that can be programmed to control more than one device. I agree that the price is much more attractive than the $300 you pay for Homelink, but there are some drawbacks: (1) having to carry the clicker in your car as opposed to having it integrated into the screen; (2) limited to two devices that can be controlled; (3) in my experience, some brands of universal clickers are not as universal as Homelink and won't work with certain types of openers; (4) no geofencing functions.

I had the homelink on my M3, and I loved it, however I wanted to try something else before I purchased it for my Y. I purchased an inexpensive meross smart wifi garage controller from Amazon. (you can find it for approx $30, like this one https://www.amazon.com/Refoss-Garage-Control-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B07PM59X4J which is the same thing, and uses the same app). With this device, not only do I have more control over my garage door, I now can use google, alexa, or siri (via IFTTT) to open / close the garage.

Reactions: TallTexDriver
Why did you need to buy another clicker instead of using whatever you already have?
The clicker to my garage door doesn’t allow you to program the additional buttons just using the DIP switch settings. The entry gate to our community is old and doesn’t have a learn button for programming remotes, you have to set the DIP switches to match the gate code.

Since we're on the topic... I have HomeLink questions too.

I understand that it automatically closes the door when you leave, and opens it when you come home. Which is cool most of the time. But how does it know where the door is? What if my kids opens the door while I'm gone, then I come home; does it close the door when it should do nothing?

Sometimes I'm just running to a nearby store real quick and my family is staying home so I want to leave the door open, is there a "cancel" option on screen to leave the door open?

Is HomeLink for me?

Sometimes I'm just running to a nearby store real quick and my family is staying home so I want to leave the door open, is there a "cancel" option on screen to leave the door open?

Is HomeLink for me?
From the user manual on my Model Y:

As you approach (or drive away from) a device that is set to operate automatically, the HomeLink status icon displays a count-down message to let you know when the device will automatically open or close. In situations where you don't want the device to automatically open or close, touch Skip Auto-Open or Skip Auto-Close at any time during the count-down message.

Okay, you guys are causing me to rethink having the HomeLink module installed since it sounds like the installation is easy. Is the HomeLink feature really have that much benefit over a clicker on your sun visor?

The biggest advantage is that if you leave your car parked on the driveway a thief can't smash the window (or just open the unlocked door) and steal the opener.

The other advantages I'm aware of:
- it turns off when the car is off (see above)
- You can program it to open the door automatically when you arrive home.
- less clutter in your car, no batteries to replace

None of those are huge and if you want to save money then a universal remote would certainly work.

The other advantages I'm aware of:
- it turns off when the car is off (see above)
- You can program it to open the door automatically when you arrive home.
- less clutter in your car, no batteries to replace

None of those are huge and if you want to save money then a universal remote would certainly work.
Also not huge: if you use an iOS app like Tesla Remote, you can use a shortcut to have Siri get the garage door through the car's Homelink.

Since we're on the topic... I have HomeLink questions too.

I understand that it automatically closes the door when you leave, and opens it when you come home. Which is cool most of the time. But how does it know where the door is? What if my kids opens the door while I'm gone, then I come home; does it close the door when it should do nothing?

Is HomeLink for me?

I had the same concern as you. I recently had a loaner MS and programmed the Homelink. Assuming Homelink in my MY would behave the same, it does not know if the door is open or closed. If it is programed to open/close based on your proximity, which is the feature I liked about it, it will send a signal, regardless of the doors current position.
Because of that experience, I decided to use my regular door opener with double sided tape and attach it to the back of the screen near the lower left corner. Its not visible from any area inside or outside the car. I simply reach under and behind the screen and hit the button. I never liked them clipped on the visors. Too easy for a thief to grab, find my reg with address and, well you know... Hope that helps. Cheers!!

Reactions: BLUBER
i was originally planning to get Homelink, but the garage door is all we need; no gates or other RF controlled devices. After some research I got the Tailwind kit and am quite happy with it. Took about 90 minutes to install the dedicated, hard-wired door sensor; everything else was about 15 minutes. After reading all the feedback about unreliable wireless door sensors for the MyQ and other systems, am glad I went with the Tailwind unit. Door status has been perfect. Auto opening when coming home is reliable. I haven’t bothered to set up the Siri shortcut for voice activated close and open yet; Tailwind is working on HomeKit integration so I may just wait for that to finish before doing any further automations.

Reactions: TallTexDriver