Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative to HomeLink module

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, you guys are causing me to rethink having the HomeLink module installed since it sounds like the installation is easy. Is the HomeLink feature really have that much benefit over a clicker on your sun visor?

Ah, first-world problems! :)

The HomeLink module is certainly cooler than a clicker (I got my M3 when HomeLink was standard equipment), but let's face it either is going to do the job just fine.

Have you checked out the Tailwind iQ3? It was rated the #1 Smart Garage door controller by WireCutter again. It has a secure auto-open feature and they are in beta now in HomeKit, which will be a simple firmware update. Beautiful thing is that it can add auto-open to all vehicles in the household, not just the Tesla :)

Hi. I'm a model 3 owner, and we're planning to buy a Y for my wife. Am I reading correctly that NONE of the Ys include the hardware that enables you to open your garage door (press the house icon on the screen, etc.)? When I bought my 3, I believe all 3s included it, and then they introduced the SR models (maybe others, I don't know) that did not include it -- but the more expensive models did include it.

Reactions: Daekwan
Hi. I'm a model 3 owner, and we're planning to buy a Y for my wife. Am I reading correctly that NONE of the Ys include the hardware that enables you to open your garage door (press the house icon on the screen, etc.)? When I bought my 3, I believe all 3s included it, and then they introduced the SR models (maybe others, I don't know) that did not include it -- but the more expensive models did include it.
Correct - my sister has a Model 3 that came with Homelink standard. From my recollection, Homelink was later removed as a standard option for the 3 (not sure if it is included in any of the trims). In addition, from what I have read on this forum, Homelink is not a standard option for the Model Y, regardless of trim.

In my case, once I was confirmed for a delivery date, I placed my order for the Homelink. On the day I took delivery of my Y on March 1st, I immediately made an appointment for mobile service to install the homelink module. Three days later, mobile service showed up my house to install the homelink module, which took less than an hour.

Reactions: Daekwan
Anyone finding this comment that is into home automation... With not a lot of searching online you can find ways to automate garage door opening or closing upon arrival/departure using home automation solutions. Bonus, this works with ANY vehicle, not limited to Tesla. Setups will vary depending on what home automation "camp" your household is in, Android, Alexa, Homekit, etc.

For example...

Meross Homekit garage door opener installed on our garage door opener.
Home Assistant installed on a docker on a 2010 MacBook Pro used as pseudo server for our household allows non-Homekit devices to be brought into Homekit, but also allows us to make a "fake" switch. Look into HOOBS as an alternative, or consider having a smart outlet with nothing plugged into it act as this fake switch. We bring in our home security system through Home Assistant so this is the route I went.
Homekit won't open a door without confirming due to security reasons, however, a door can be opened with a trigger (fake switch).
Homekit automation: Upon arriving home, fake switch is triggered on, resets after 3 minutes (to off), so it can be triggered on again next time.
Homekit automation: When fake switch is triggered, open garage door, unlock door into house from garage, turn on lamp with a hue bulb in the garage, turn on certain lights in the house depending on the time of day (this is actually a few automations so that time of day lighting scenes can be selected).
Homekit automation: When (insert person) leaves, close garage door, lock door into house from garage (doesn't require fake switch), if the last person leaving, turn off lights.
We don't use that last one because I'm usually leaving in the morning when my better half is walking one of our dogs before starting his work day from home, but it would likely be more than on automation as well to trigger that "last person leaving turn off lights" part.

Correct - my sister has a Model 3 that came with Homelink standard. From my recollection, Homelink was later removed as a standard option for the 3 (not sure if it is included in any of the trims). In addition, from what I have read on this forum, Homelink is not a standard option for the Model Y, regardless of trim.

In my case, once I was confirmed for a delivery date, I placed my order for the Homelink. On the day I took delivery of my Y on March 1st, I immediately made an appointment for mobile service to install the homelink module. Three days later, mobile service showed up my house to install the homelink module, which took less than an hour.

Thanks - that's helpful for our planning. My wife's 13 year old Lexus has a HomeLink button, so regardless of all of the good solutions people are recommending in this discussion, I guarantee we'll end up buying the HomeLink module! I like it on my 3, but I do wish the control was more to the left, easier to reach from the driver's seat.

I use the myQ linked to Amazon Key for garage deliveries and have never had an issue. I haven’t ordered the MY yet, but I am curious about using the myQ app. I can’t seem to find any helpful videos on YouTube. Can you elaborate some more on the ease of use and benefits of using myQ vs Homelink?
In my opinion the greatest feature of the integrated Homelink module is the ability to automatically open the garage or gate as you approach - no remotes or buttons, etc. to push. I'm not that familiar with MyQ - do you access the app via your phone (physically ) or can you use Siri or Alexa to use MyQ so you don't have to fumble with the phone.

Reactions: WolfHunter1043
Have you checked out the Tailwind iQ3? It was rated the #1 Smart Garage door controller by WireCutter again. It has a secure auto-open feature and they are in beta now in HomeKit, which will be a simple firmware update. Beautiful thing is that it can add auto-open to all vehicles in the household, not just the Tesla :)
Interesting alternative. Is there any way to cancel the autoclose on certain occasions? I’m just thinking of the scenario where sometimes my kids and wife are doing projects or crafts in the garage. I drive away but it would be less than ideal to have it autoclose when they’re in there. Sounds like the homelink installed option has that.

I use the myQ app for my LiftMaster/chamberlain opener
Thats what im using now.

Still ordered the Tesla Homelink adapter. Hated pay $300 for it.. feels like when the airlines charge you for checked bags or carry-on luggage.. but whatever.

Anybody install the adapter yourself? It says to schedule service to do it.. but I dont mind working on my own car if its something I can do moderately easily. Last thing I need is some guy scratching things up. Prefer to only service it when necessary.

Thats what im using now.

Still ordered the Tesla Homelink adapter. Hated pay $300 for it.. feels like when the airlines charge you for checked bags or carry-on luggage.. but whatever.

Anybody install the adapter yourself? It says to schedule service to do it.. but I dont mind working on my own car if its something I can do moderately easily. Last thing I need is some guy scratching things up. Prefer to only service it when necessary.

You kind of have to use service because otherwise, it negate any warranty on the part. I'd rather let Tesla install - its free and they come to your house. Guy was in and out in 30 min.

Anyone finding this comment that is into home automation... With not a lot of searching online you can find ways to automate garage door opening or closing upon arrival/departure using home automation solutions. Bonus, this works with ANY vehicle, not limited to Tesla. Setups will vary depending on what home automation "camp" your household is in, Android, Alexa, Homekit, etc.

For example...

Meross Homekit garage door opener installed on our garage door opener.
Home Assistant installed on a docker on a 2010 MacBook Pro used as pseudo server for our household allows non-Homekit devices to be brought into Homekit, but also allows us to make a "fake" switch. Look into HOOBS as an alternative, or consider having a smart outlet with nothing plugged into it act as this fake switch. We bring in our home security system through Home Assistant so this is the route I went.
Homekit won't open a door without confirming due to security reasons, however, a door can be opened with a trigger (fake switch).
Homekit automation: Upon arriving home, fake switch is triggered on, resets after 3 minutes (to off), so it can be triggered on again next time.
Homekit automation: When fake switch is triggered, open garage door, unlock door into house from garage, turn on lamp with a hue bulb in the garage, turn on certain lights in the house depending on the time of day (this is actually a few automations so that time of day lighting scenes can be selected).
Homekit automation: When (insert person) leaves, close garage door, lock door into house from garage (doesn't require fake switch), if the last person leaving, turn off lights.
We don't use that last one because I'm usually leaving in the morning when my better half is walking one of our dogs before starting his work day from home, but it would likely be more than on automation as well to trigger that "last person leaving turn off lights" part.
Yup. This works. I also use this solution with a Docker on my Synology NAS.

Reactions: imola.zhp