Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

alternatives for wipers on Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

stefan.bc

I see dead headlights!
Jan 14, 2017
OR
Hi,

Just had my first drive in the rain and I am not sure what to think. They fell cheap and work funny, not smooth.
I feel like these are the worst wipers I had on any of my cars.

Can they be replaced with something better?

Thank you

Reactions: LovelyCarrot
I feel like the metal used is the wipers might be to "soft", maybe it bends a little
But could be the mechanism, will inquire at my first service check, hopefully they can fix the ghosting issues :(

Hhhm.

Sorry to hear about your negative perception re: wipers (it's at least your second op discussing your unhappiness with x).

FWIW: I live in areas that get torrential rain at times during the year and I've had no issues. Wiper system works well and I wouldn't call it cheap (I've had plenty of high end German cars btw).

Your profile says Oregon....it doesn't rain much there? Lucky.

I spent a year in an area north of Seattle at an airbase while in the Marine Corps and it rained constantly from October to April.

FWIW --- My initial review of the wipers were that they were terrible. We had snow the week after I picked up my MX and the wipers performed below average. However, two things changed that temendously. ---

1) I think the windshield had grime/film when it was delivered. The wipers seemed like they weren't making good contact with the surface. When I completed my home wash and cleaning I cleaned the windows thoroughly. The next rain, water beaded up properly and the wipers didn't smear anything.

2) Application of Rain-X. I only did the windshield. Every subseqent wash I actually forgo the use of Rain-X and I still haven't had any issues with any of my glass surfaces.

Spend some time cleaning your windows; even use a clay bar if you have to. I still wish I had a notch between some of the selectable intervals on the stalk to hit the sweet spot. Hopefully once auto-wipers is active this will improve.

• Informative
Reactions: Jurnimon
When I first got my MX the wipers smeared every time on the return wipe. I had SC adjust and the problem is gone. I also used RainX before and after service so I knew they adjusted it.

RainX is dirt cheap like $6-10 for a spray bottle that last for several applications. Doesn't seem like a waste. I apply it to all the windows and works like a charm.

It doesn't rain that much in my area so rainX is a waste on money, usually, I guess the fix is to keep rainX in my frunk

FWIW --- My initial review of the wipers were that they were terrible. We had snow the week after I picked up my MX and the wipers performed below average. However, two things changed that temendously. ---

1) I think the windshield had grime/film when it was delivered. The wipers seemed like they weren't making good contact with the surface. When I completed my home wash and cleaning I cleaned the windows thoroughly. The next rain, water beaded up properly and the wipers didn't smear anything.

2) Application of Rain-X. I only did the windshield. Every subseqent wash I actually forgo the use of Rain-X and I still haven't had any issues with any of my glass surfaces.

Spend some time cleaning your windows; even use a clay bar if you have to. I still wish I had a notch between some of the selectable intervals on the stalk to hit the sweet spot. Hopefully once auto-wipers is active this will improve.

I'm having the same issue, picked up the inventory MX and the driverside wipters smears right in my line of sight. I'll try a good cleaning and Rain-X. Thanks for the advice!

Using a clay bar on the windshield seems to have improved this issue for me. From delivery, my windshield had a stubborn film that would not come off with normal cleaning. The clay didn't get it all, but it got most of it, and finishing with RainX has made a big improvement

Reactions: acadapter
Yes the wipers on this car are the worst compared to other cars I've owned. It's kind of sad we have to spend so much of our own time/money/effort out of these $100k cars to fix something like this.

You can't even find replacement blades as only Tesla carries them at the moment.

Now I need to check again how to adjust them. I looked but couldn't tell if adjustment is even possible. @LuckyX are you sure they didn't just replace the blades? After they replaced mine it's much improved but still suck in heavy rain.

tesla-tag.jpg
Post some pictures of your windshield so we can get an idea of non-performance.
I posted this in a different thread,
Model X EZ pass mounting
but I just noticed something that annoyed me on a recent trip through heavy snowfall. Look at the driver's-side window at the right side of the picture. That area never cleared when I pumped washer fluid onto the wipers. In defiance of Tesla advice, I use rain-X fluid, because at 20 below, Fahrenheit, ordinary fluid freezes solid. But I wasn't seeing much fluid reaching that part of the windshield. This is quite annoying, if not downright dangerous. I need to see through the entire driver's-side area of the windshield.

Attachments

• tesla-tag.jpg
    tesla-tag.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 46
View attachment 218435
I posted this in a different thread,
Model X EZ pass mounting
but I just noticed something that annoyed me on a recent trip through heavy snowfall. Look at the driver's-side window at the right side of the picture. That area never cleared when I pumped washer fluid onto the wipers. In defiance of Tesla advice, I use rain-X fluid, because at 20 below, Fahrenheit, ordinary fluid freezes solid. But I wasn't seeing much fluid reaching that part of the windshield. This is quite annoying, if not downright dangerous. I need to see through the entire driver's-side area of the windshield.
Is it just me or does that look very normal to anyone else?

I've had my X for a few days and we are experiencing major snow-melt now so dirty vehicle spray all over. Wipers worked pretty well actually - no rain-x yet. On the advice of another owner I'm going to take it in next week for a clear film on the windshield for two reasons;
1. Cost to replace is high
2. Availability is apparently scarce so even finding one may be challenging

I saw it installed and there is one seam just above where the windshield starts the tint - but pretty minor - otherwise it's very clear and for the amount of road trips I'm planning to do this is a must for me. Was quoted $800.