TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

alternatives for wipers on Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by stefan.bc, Jan 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. stefan.bc

stefan.bc I see dead headlights!

Hi,

Just had my first drive in the rain and I am not sure what to think. They fell cheap and work funny, not smooth.
    I feel like these are the worst wipers I had on any of my cars.

Can they be replaced with something better?

Thank you

• Like x 1
  2. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Wonder if switching blades would do anything or if it's the motors/mechanism? Tesla usually uses good Bosch blades.

3. stefan.bc

I feel like the metal used is the wipers might be to "soft", maybe it bends a little
    But could be the mechanism, will inquire at my first service check, hopefully they can fix the ghosting issues :(

4. Houseofpayne

Houseofpayne Member

As previously talked about in a thread, putting rainX on the model X has helped me significantly.

5. stefan.bc

It doesn't rain that much in my area so rainX is a waste on money, usually, I guess the fix is to keep rainX in my frunk

6. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

Hhhm.

Sorry to hear about your negative perception re: wipers (it's at least your second op discussing your unhappiness with x).

FWIW: I live in areas that get torrential rain at times during the year and I've had no issues. Wiper system works well and I wouldn't call it cheap (I've had plenty of high end German cars btw).

Your profile says Oregon....it doesn't rain much there? Lucky.

I spent a year in an area north of Seattle at an airbase while in the Marine Corps and it rained constantly from October to April.

7. acadapter

acadapter Member

FWIW --- My initial review of the wipers were that they were terrible. We had snow the week after I picked up my MX and the wipers performed below average. However, two things changed that temendously. ---

1) I think the windshield had grime/film when it was delivered. The wipers seemed like they weren't making good contact with the surface. When I completed my home wash and cleaning I cleaned the windows thoroughly. The next rain, water beaded up properly and the wipers didn't smear anything.

2) Application of Rain-X. I only did the windshield. Every subseqent wash I actually forgo the use of Rain-X and I still haven't had any issues with any of my glass surfaces.

Spend some time cleaning your windows; even use a clay bar if you have to. I still wish I had a notch between some of the selectable intervals on the stalk to hit the sweet spot. Hopefully once auto-wipers is active this will improve.

• Informative x 1
  8. stefan.bc

Sorry to bash Tesla but I had higher hopes. Maybe I should have bought an S. Seems to be of higher quality.
    Will try Rain-X.

• Disagree x 1
  9. LuckyX

LuckyX Stormtrooper X60D, Autopilot, and Hitch

When I first got my MX the wipers smeared every time on the return wipe. I had SC adjust and the problem is gone. I also used RainX before and after service so I knew they adjusted it.

RainX is dirt cheap like $6-10 for a spray bottle that last for several applications. Doesn't seem like a waste. I apply it to all the windows and works like a charm.

10. Jurnimon

Jurnimon Member

I'm having the same issue, picked up the inventory MX and the driverside wipters smears right in my line of sight. I'll try a good cleaning and Rain-X. Thanks for the advice!

11. LuckyX

Try is to clean the wiper blades themselves. I used a moist towelette/alcohol wipe on the rubber blades.

• Like x 1
  12. acadapter

acadapter Member

This was my EXACT same situation. Of course they could need adjusting but home fix should be the first step. Let us know how it goes!

13. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

Using a clay bar on the windshield seems to have improved this issue for me. From delivery, my windshield had a stubborn film that would not come off with normal cleaning. The clay didn't get it all, but it got most of it, and finishing with RainX has made a big improvement

• Like x 1
  14. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

A waste of money? A bottle of RainX is like $10.

15. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

Post some pictures of your windshield so we can get an idea of non-performance.

16. outie

outie Active Member

Yes the wipers on this car are the worst compared to other cars I've owned. It's kind of sad we have to spend so much of our own time/money/effort out of these $100k cars to fix something like this.

You can't even find replacement blades as only Tesla carries them at the moment.

Now I need to check again how to adjust them. I looked but couldn't tell if adjustment is even possible. @LuckyX are you sure they didn't just replace the blades? After they replaced mine it's much improved but still suck in heavy rain.

17. LuckyX

They said the adjusted them but who knows if they replaced them. They work well now as I used them heavily during this last rain storm in So Cal.

18. jpl

jpl Member

tesla-tag.jpg
    I posted this in a different thread,
    Model X EZ pass mounting
    but I just noticed something that annoyed me on a recent trip through heavy snowfall. Look at the driver's-side window at the right side of the picture. That area never cleared when I pumped washer fluid onto the wipers. In defiance of Tesla advice, I use rain-X fluid, because at 20 below, Fahrenheit, ordinary fluid freezes solid. But I wasn't seeing much fluid reaching that part of the windshield. This is quite annoying, if not downright dangerous. I need to see through the entire driver's-side area of the windshield.

Attached Files:

19. Martin VanB

Martin VanB Member

At my first annual service the wipers were replaced. Big improvement!

20. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Is it just me or does that look very normal to anyone else?

I've had my X for a few days and we are experiencing major snow-melt now so dirty vehicle spray all over. Wipers worked pretty well actually - no rain-x yet. On the advice of another owner I'm going to take it in next week for a clear film on the windshield for two reasons;
    1. Cost to replace is high
    2. Availability is apparently scarce so even finding one may be challenging

I saw it installed and there is one seam just above where the windshield starts the tint - but pretty minor - otherwise it's very clear and for the amount of road trips I'm planning to do this is a must for me. Was quoted $800.