Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

alternatives for wipers on Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a quick panoramic from inside my dirty Model X today - wipers are doing a good job. Visibility is good. Kind of wish there was a secondary set of wipers that would clean the top half of the panoramic windscreen! :)
FullSizeRender.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
Is it just me or does that look very normal to anyone else?

I've had my X for a few days and we are experiencing major snow-melt now so dirty vehicle spray all over. Wipers worked pretty well actually - no rain-x yet. On the advice of another owner I'm going to take it in next week for a clear film on the windshield for two reasons;
1. Cost to replace is high
2. Availability is apparently scarce so even finding one may be challenging

I saw it installed and there is one seam just above where the windshield starts the tint - but pretty minor - otherwise it's very clear and for the amount of road trips I'm planning to do this is a must for me. Was quoted $800.
Spot on, 3s. I took this photo to document why plate-mounted EZ-Pass tags are best avoided, but when I saw the request to post pictures of windshield problems, I thought the photo could do double-duty. Looking out the window today, the obscured area in the photo isn't important for safe driving. What I was experiencing, but didn't photograph while driving, was a much larger area of the driver's side windshield, definitely interfering with my ability to see the road. Particularly annoying because the passenger side, where it mattered far less, was cleaning up perfectly. So, yes, if I could get the windshield clear except for the area in the photo, I'd have no cause for complaint. But I couldn't, although the photo doesn't document that.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
I did a quick panoramic from inside my dirty Model X today - wipers are doing a good job. Visibility is good. Kind of wish there was a secondary set of wipers that would clean the top half of the panoramic windscreen! :)
View attachment 218498
Do not, as I did, put an E-ZPass immediately to the right of the rear view mirror. It will block the magnetic connection for the visor. DUH! I should set up a forum for my stupid moves, but there might not be enough space on the space the club owns.

• Funny
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Do not, as I did, put an E-ZPass immediately to the right of the rear view mirror. It will block the magnetic connection for the visor. DUH! I should set up a forum for my stupid moves, but there might not be enough space on the space the club owns.
@jpl, I'm sure you've now seen in the manual where it says to put transponders anywhere on the 'top' part of the windshield for best performance in the X. When I had a demo drive, they had the EZPass in the back center corner of the glass, which is a perfect place, where you can't see it at all. I made a note for if/when I order one!

Edit: Thought I'd post the manual excerpt since a picture is worth... to those that hadn't seen it.

ModelX-EZPass.jpg

Last edited:
@jpl, I'm sure you've now seen in the manual where it says to put transponders anywhere on the 'top' part of the windshield for best performance in the X. When I had a demo drive, they had the EZPass in the back center corner of the glass, which is a perfect place, where you can't see it at all. I made a note for if/when I order one!

Edit: Thought I'd post the manual excerpt since a picture is worth... to those that hadn't seen it.

View attachment 219506
FYI: If you plan to use the Tesla-supplied sunshade, be careful when placing your transponder in the area above. If may affect the positioning of the sunshade to the point where it won't work.

I learned this the hard way too! Where do I sign-up for the "Stupid Moves" forum???

Model S wipers are the worst wipers of any car I've ever driven in my entire life. Qualifier, I've owned many cars and I am in mid size rental car nearly every single week. Sometimes several different rental cars in a week. At times when I am in a good old Chevy Malibu and have to use the wipers I just wish I could have that quality in my Model S. Keep in mind that these rental car windshield have zero prep so they are working at the worst possible level. I have spent hours on my Model S wipers and windshield with nominal gains. I have dropped the drivers side wiper down 4" from stock to keep it from flapping around and despite the owner manual warnings I get the best results by applying Rain X 2 in 1 treatment and cleaner at least weekly if not more.

However, on my Model X it is much better. Still not the quality of a Chevy Malibu but light years better than the Model S. I also get a smear right in my line of sight but I haven't deep cleaned the window yet. It was really bad when I picker her up (had rain the day I drove it home) but since I've washed her and treated the windshield with the Rain X 2 in 1 product it is considerably better.

Jason