Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternatives to a tesla *gasp*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like my Model S but it's 5 years old now. Totally sold on the EV concept but the new S's aren't coming here anytime soon.

So what do I look for, the Y or 3 seems like a step down for a smaller car. The Taycan and EQS are just a little to expensive.

Polestar is a great upgrade if you are a Volvo driver but felt like a step down from the S.

Merc EQC maybe? BMW iX?

I usually get something a year old so what would you choose (and why) while we wait for the US to get bored with the S and send us some?

I suggest test driving a Model 3 before you rule it out. I've read multiple posters who test drive both and decided on the 3 because it was more fun to drive.

Other than Tesla - it's not so much the car but the SuperCharger network that makes the difference. If yours are all CCS then perhaps that isn't a factor.
I tried the Model 3 when I got the S 3 years ago, it was the choice of a new 3 or a used S and the S won hands down..... Has enough changed on the 3 to make it worth a relook?

Reactions: cpaull
That depends on your reasons for preferring the S. I have a 3 but drove an S loaner from the service center once. It was dookie. The 3 is a blast. Not a whole lot has changed since 2019 though... heat pump, heated wheel, matrix headlights, chrome delete and more. Still the same car though.

Reactions: Lephturn
Taycan would be top of my list coming from an S.

It all depends on how much you can tolerate the downgrade in terms of going back to an ICE like experience with the dealers. Porsche expect you to service the car at several hundred pounds a time, etc.

Both probably have significantly better build quality than you’re used to, though.

BMW i4 M50 worth a look, higher trim levels are really quite nice to live with, and I think BMW has by far the best infotainment system of any manufacturer.

A few new Polestar models are on the way so might be worth holding out to see what comes.

Taycan would be my choice if money hasn’t an issue, but they’re so expensive.

I went from a 2017 S to a Y and have to say I vastly prefer the Y. It doesn't feel like a "step down" other than the lack of air suspension, and in practice the Y actually feels more spacious (despite the slightly smaller footprint) and less barge-like to drive than the S.

Reactions: Lephturn
In a similar quandary - my S is 4 years old. I have sat in a Y but not test driven one. Sitting in it it felt claustrophobic compared to the S for someone of my height. I also have free supercharging.
My original 'plan' was to have the S for 3 years and swap to a roadster. No sign of that on the horizon and the likely price will have shot up from the original £150K to nearer £250 by the time it arrives UK and insurers will be dumping on me by age etc when it does get here so that idea is abandoned.
I've outgrown driving fast for the sake of it - I’m up there with the speed limit but do stay legal and defensive and fuel sparing.
I haven't been fantasy car shopping for about 3 years but last time there wasn't a comfortable German car for my height. Jaguar was particularly disappointing in that regard and Toyota surprisingly leg-roomy even in their tiny offerings.
Without the benefits of business related savings on cars then EV’s are expensive and I'll admit I’m bearing a grudge over the failure of any really good benefit from the extra for FSD. Then there are Tesla failures between promises and reality, distance to a service centre, need to plan journeys with an EV.
For the moment I'll hang on to it but can see me going back to buying 1-2 year old 'transport' and possibly a plug-in hybrid with adequate local range.

I like my Model S but it's 5 years old now. Totally sold on the EV concept but the new S's aren't coming here anytime soon.

Changing for the sake of changing or a change in use needs?

We've had our X for over 5.5 years now, the only car Tesla builds that remotely interests me is another X, but as you say you cannot get one and the cost is now easily 6 figures if you tick just a few options.

For the same money the EVs made by Mercedes/Porsche even the iX are much more appealing, so change for the sake of change, get something else.

The reality though all EVs essentially drive the same, so all you are paying for is a different wrapper, and actually I really like the Tesla wrapper, hence essentially the same/identical car would be my preferred replacement.

At 40 I've decided now though am too old be bothered chasing new cars for the sake of it.....I still want to own a Twizzy, or get my old DC2 ITR back as a weekend toy(we can dream). That's about it, oh and the F40, everyone surely still dreams about just sitting in one of those.

An original P85+ with a new 90kWh battery upgrade also intrigues me.......but everything else is just a bit mew, Tesla for me have ruined my interest in new cars :(

Thanks Elon, well the bankaccount does anyways :D.

Last edited:
I like my Model S but it's 5 years old now. Totally sold on the EV concept but the new S's aren't coming here anytime soon

Me too ... but I replaced my MS (performance) a couple of years ago with a Raven LR, so hopefully the new model will arrive before I feel the need to replace it ... alhtough price just went up (in USA) another $5K ... I wonder if I can go on strike for Better Pay ...

I had an M3 as second-car, now replaced with MY. All LR non-Performance: over a marked 200M-ish distance the MS & M3 get from 40 to 90, and the MY to 86 - so "nothing in it" (although the 0-60 are quite a bit difference, so that's all in the 0-30 or 0-40 - if you use that a lot :) )

The M3 was very tight "hot hatch", the MY suspension is a bit harsh, nothing like as tight to drive, and needs some concentration when flooring-it (all probably to be expected with SUV). But hatchback and high ride position suit us - elderly relatives much prefer the get in/out height - the MS is worst for them, in that regard.

I would miss the air suspension of MS on long journeys - we've taken the MY on a few medium length journeys, and the impact on the condition that driver / passenger arrive in! is noticeable. MS drives like a barge of course, but for long journey cruising I would want something where I arrive refreshed.

Before MS I had a Blue Motion Golf (being Eco ... up until DieselGate of course). Moving from Golf to MS (and adding in AP reduction in driver effort) made a huge difference to my arrival condition - at that time I was doing 30K miles a year, and 2+ days a month that were > 300 miles. Those out-and-back days were very significantly different from Golf.

So, for me, having experienced that long distance comfort, that would now be a key requirement for a replacement. For a second car I'd be happy with an M3 - great fun to drive. But my dogs wouldn't like the boot! hence the MY.

On a recent tour of Ireland, in convoy with an M3 LR, my MS Raven LR went quite a bit further on a charge (don't have the details to hand, but a good 10% further). Rnage on long journeys (although only a couple a year, but for example to Alps for skiing) I really appreciate the MS range. Allowing for either an overnight stop, or a decent lunch (at Supercharger) to get 10%-100% refuel, my Alps trip adds ana dditional 3x 20 minute refuellign stops (on a 12 hour journey) - and they contiirbute to passengers arriving more refreshed. I think eTron more-stops faster-charging would annoy me, but as really-fast-charging becomes widespread maybe its not that big a deal. Actually, NOT having time for a pee and coffee at a stop WOULD probably annoy me!

The Y is not much smaller than an X

(From a quick google) "Tesla Model X has 91 cubic feet, compared to the 68 cubic feet of the Model Y" ...

Taycan would be top of my list coming from an S.

Me too. However, am I right that there is no one-pedal driving and you have to use the brake (on which you get regen for first part of pedal-travel)? I'd hate to give up one-pedal now ...

BMW i4 M50 worth a look ...

I have never owned / driven a BMW but I saw a recent (very balanced) review of BMW vs. Tesla and the "driver aids and experience" of the BMW was very impressive. (Tesla won out on other areas)

I also have free supercharging.

Me too. But I'll lose that when I replace for Plaid/whatever ... I've been thinking about what that is worth, given increase in Supercharger costs etc. Apart for the phycological aspect! I'm not sure its significant (your use-case might be different of course ...)

TesalFi says I have been averaging 1,000 kWh at Superchargers p.a. ... so about £300-quid p.a. :(

I've outgrown driving fast for the sake of it - I’m up there with the speed limit but do stay legal and defensive and fuel sparing.

Yes, me too. Although ... I think my driving style has changed. "Pressing on" on country roads used to involve a fair speed around corners to maintain speed Back in ICE days there was also "Straight available around next bend, change down ready in case can overtake" ... with all the noise and discomfort that entailed (didn't realise it at the time of course) and my driving style has changed to much reduced cornering speed but increased-power after. For that bend/straight situation I of course no longer have to "get ready" with a down-shift, just come round the corner at a decent distance from car in front, and if the straight is clear just boot-it.

Lift-off for regen to reduce speed to as-required for a bend, or turning at a junction, has become my new replacement for hyper-miling in ICE ... seems to me to be surprisingly easy to do, and of course with one-pedal-driving I can just feather it if I lifted-off a bit early. Also, if I am coming into a bend a bit hot then hovering the brake is probably all I need - the continued regen as I arrive at, and turn into, the corner is enough to bleed off those last few MPH.

Might sell my brake pads on eBay ...

need to plan journeys with an EV

I don't find that so much. The original MS was about 250 miles all-our motorway range and I had out-of-range about 2 days a month. The replacement is 300 and I have very few days, now, that exceed that. If I'm driving to the Alps I'm happy to plan ... the (relatively) recent change to SatNav to allow waypoint means I can navigate to "home" and then add a stop for my destination, so I can see how much short I am (and have the car pick a refuelling stop on the out-leg if necessary, whereas before [waypoints] it would be quite happy to arrive "empty" and leave me nothing for the return leg.

Probably only 2 or 3 years until we have EV refuelling "everywhere" - like Norway - and the stupidity of different APPs for each location will go away, along with 50kW chargers no longer being the only option in some places, and presumably better reliability. So not long until "just set off" I reckon ... by then ICE drivers will be having to plan where the fuel pumps have NOT been removed / replaced with EV ones :)

Reactions: Beady3647
I've driven the M50, and it's very close to the Model S in feel. However, it can't put its power down nearly as well, there is a slight delay when pressing the accelerator (why on earth?), and the range is only so so. Build quality is better, it's quiet and rides as well as an S - it also has air suspension.

I'm not sure how imminent your change is, but there are upcoming cars from China that are looking very, very interesting. The Zeekr 001 has really good range, air suspension and lots of space, along with an interior I really like. Also, the Nio ET7 and 5 look really nice. That said, it's unclear when they will be coming to distant shores.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I've driven the M50, and it's very close to the Model S in feel. However, it can't put its power down nearly as well, there is a slight delay when pressing the accelerator (why on earth?), and the range is only so so. Build quality is better, it's quiet and rides as well as an S - it also has air suspension.

I'm not sure how imminent your change is, but there are upcoming cars from China that are looking very, very interesting. The Zeekr 001 has really good range, air suspension and lots of space, along with an interior I really like. Also, the Nio ET7 and 5 look really nice. That said, it's unclear when they will be coming to distant shores.

I'm probably prejudiced, but, it was already a huge thing for me to compromise and purchase a Tesla that was Made in China, at least I hade some trust in the software development and QC requirements... but buying a 100% Chinese brand with no retailer or servicing network on this continent... not in a million years (or a least a good decade or so...)

Reactions: KennethS
Easier to start with what do you want from a car.

I had an MS for a while, and there's a lot to like about them, and maybe the new MCU makes a massive difference, but it's starting to feel like an old car to me. Had an M3, 2020 US can and it was noisy, moved to a MY and some things have improved but the ride is something only its mother could love. MX was always too big and I think they've become dated quicker than the MS even if some of the owners love them.

My heads starting to gaze towards the i4, kind of strikes the compromise between all 3 Teslas I've owned, a better ride thats more Model S, more agile (M3) and more practical with the hatch (MY). I don't need rear seats. just a big opening hatch to chuck 2 large suitcases in or my dads wheelchair.

Polestar doesn't reall do it for me, VWs don't either, Taycans and Audis with a decent battery are getting expensive, The Kias and Hyundais don't quite have the turn of pace. iPace has been around for a while and I was nearly tempted before I got the MY, I think the ride there is one of the best.

Luckily I'm committed to the MY for a while otherwise my wife won't be happy. She actually likes the higher MY driving position so the iPace might work for her better than the i4.

Reactions: WllXM

So what do I look for, the Y or 3 seems like a step down for a smaller car. The Taycan and EQS are just a little to expensive.

Polestar is a great upgrade if you are a Volvo driver but felt like a step down from the S.

Merc EQC maybe? BMW iX?

I usually get something a year old so what would you choose (and why) while we wait for the US to get bored with the S and send us some?
What are your 5 needs and 5 wants from a replacement if it's to replace your S? Are you looking at SUV's because you need more space, or just novelty?

I test drove the i4 in two guises, and whilst it had all the normal BMW loveliness in areas you would expect, they all feel inherently compromised from the get go just because the platform was not ground-up BEV. To my mind, if you're buying a BEV, it makes no sense to buy one that is built on a multi powertrain platform.

Edit: beat me to it by a few seconds. We need your checklist.