Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternatives to a tesla *gasp*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I replaced the original MS (performance) I so rarely used Launch Performance that I was certain I didn't need it. And I don't. All the Teslae have great overtaking performance.

And then the Plaid - sub-2s - was announced. I'm 100% I can't afford not to have one ...

Perhaps I need to type that on the BMW et al forums in order to get cured? 🤡

Easier to start with what do you want from a car.

I had an MS for a while, and there's a lot to like about them, and maybe the new MCU makes a massive difference, but it's starting to feel like an old car to me. Had an M3, 2020 US can and it was noisy, moved to a MY and some things have improved but the ride is something only its mother could love. MX was always too big and I think they've become dated quicker than the MS even if some of the owners love them.

My heads starting to gaze towards the i4, kind of strikes the compromise between all 3 Teslas I've owned, a better ride thats more Model S, more agile (M3) and more practical with the hatch (MY). I don't need rear seats. just a big opening hatch to chuck 2 large suitcases in or my dads wheelchair.

Polestar doesn't reall do it for me, VWs don't either, Taycans and Audis with a decent battery are getting expensive, The Kias and Hyundais don't quite have the turn of pace. iPace has been around for a while and I was nearly tempted before I got the MY, I think the ride there is one of the best.

Luckily I'm committed to the MY for a while otherwise my wife won't be happy. She actually likes the higher MY driving position so the iPace might work for her better than the i4.
Dealbreaker for me on the ipace is the infamous reliability of Jaguar/LR, and the weirdly raised boot which makes it unpractical and too small for my needs despite the size of the car itself
The A6 electric concept from Audi looks great, but years to being produced, and probably as pricey as an etron.

Agreed the BMW lineup is the more promising one, i4 is beautiful and will surely do a bit of damage to TM3 sales, but I need more space for the kids, and the iX is ridiculously overpriced.
I can't think of anything directly competing with the Y in the short-to-medium term

As has been said, bmw i4 is a bloody nice car, compromised as its based on a ICE platoform, but build quality and drive is fantastic.

Its a heavy car which you notice far more than in the Tesla when entering a corner, as has been said once rolling i think the bmw is much quicker than the model 3, personally i would have for the BMW over the Tesla as the boot is far more useable, but my company car budget was 60k.

I wanted a nicely specc'd one in Brooklyn grey with tan leather interior and it looks fantastic.

As has been said, bmw i4 is a bloody nice car, compromised as its based on a ICE platoform, but build quality and drive is fantastic.

Its a heavy car which you notice far more than in the Tesla when entering a corner, as has been said once rolling i think the bmw is much quicker than the model 3, personally i would have for the BMW over the Tesla as the boot is far more useable, but my company car budget was 60k.

I wanted a nicely specc'd one in Brooklyn grey with tan leather interior and it looks fantastic.

I just can't get past that grill ... it might be a good car but it just doesn't look remotely fantastic to me I'm afraid! Ugly grills have been a brand identifier recently of course but I do wish they would consider a new "face".

Reactions: house9 and Neilio
I just can't get past that grill ... it might be a good car but it just doesn't look remotely fantastic to me I'm afraid! Ugly grills have been a brand identifier recently of course but I do wish they would consider a new "face".
Yep, concur. It's an abomination. Almost as bad as the 'sliced' grill they put on the 2006/7 3 series, one of which I had and cringed every time I looked at it.

43de74110a444dbfaf55507cc876de82.jpg

Of course, the advantage of driving the BMWs is that you don't have to look at the grill - just watch out for shop windows.

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
I’m pinning my hopes on the Audi A6. It should be released next year with a starting price of £60k, though add another few £thousand on to that for the inevitable options. 800v architecture, a range of over 400 miles and it should address all the things I really don’t like about my M3.

Reactions: DM206433
I've had my Model 3 for two years - sure, it's a little unrefined when compared to the 'grand dames' of the industry such as Porsche, Mercedes and BMW but in the two years I've driven the 3, I've had no problems, no maintenance, an efficient European charger network at my disposal and have now received a very fair trade-in value from Tesla for a new one. Add to that, the retina degrading acceleration and trick software. I can't see myself leaving Tesla for quite some while yet.

My own S is in its 5th year now, and I find under similar situation my thoughts turning to used 2021 LR/P Raven S, the last models featuring round steering wheel and chrome trim. More energy efficient, better build, quieter. Is hard seeing any other manufacturer as better really in the wait for the new S.

What few reviews I've seen online, I'm interested in the Fisker Ocean, due out in the UK mid-2023. Lease is due up on my Model 3 sept 2024 so hopefully by then all the teething issue will have been ironed out.
It's an interesting car. In complete honesty though, I think early adopters in Fisker's 'rebirth' are stepping out into the unknown a bit like very early Tesla adopters. I think that risk as far as customers should be concerned is somewhat magnified by their previous bankruptcy and the way that Karma owners were treated. The fact it's being made by Magna Steyr in Austria should go in it's favour though because they have made some incredibly reliable cars in the past, but not sure about their BEV expertise.

My main concern would be how much of the ocean is parts-bin, and how much is novel. They have to do something really compelling either with their design, engineering or features (or all three) with what's available to survive long enough to start doing things the way they want to from the ground up.

It seems like a great package and combination at least on paper, there's just something about the design I'm not sold on somehow. It's a bit 'vanilla' for lack of a better term? But then... mostly subjective, and some people level that criticism at the Model Y too.

Last edited:
It's an interesting car. In complete honesty though, I think early adopters in Fisker's 'rebirth' are stepping out into the unknown a bit like very early Tesla adopters. The fact it's being made by Magna Steyr in Austria should go in it's favour because they have made some incredibly reliable cars in the past, but not sure about their BEV expertise.

It seems like a great package and combination at least on paper, there's just something about the design I'm not sold on somehow. It's a bit 'vanilla' for lack of a better term? But then... mostly subjective, and some people level that criticism at the Model Y too.
With the exception of the new BMW grill I'm not one for getting hung up on looks. They have just announced they will have one on display at the Goodwood festival of speed this year. Cant make it down this year but would of been good to have a poke around up close.

With the exception of the new BMW grill I'm not one for getting hung up on looks. They have just announced they will have one on display at the Goodwood festival of speed this year. Cant make it down this year but would of been good to have a poke around up close.
Likewise, I'd have liked to see it too - not going to FOS this year either though. I had a poke around the arrival van at last year's FOS on electric avenue which was pretty fascinating.

Reactions: Bantam
isn’t the main advantage of Telsa that they are still quite a bit more efficient than the competition, which means less weight and more range and performance on a like for like basis. I would love to go back to German build quality but spending 60k+ on something with a range that would not get close to a 3SR just means its a no deal.