Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternatives to a tesla *gasp*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea but in the real world I’m unsure if it has been proven that even the German car battery management is up to Tesla yet? I believe from many reviews I’ve read this is where Tesla is still on top with better real world results under the same conditions. No doubt someone will have a link to prove me wrong though 😁

E.g. this week on a 20 mile commute in the morning (slow traffic, ave speed 40mph and no HVAC on) I was averaging around 180 wh/m in my M3 LR.

My dad has a BMW i4 40 and am looking forward to comparing when I see him later in the year.

Reactions: Kenners
I’ve a Taycan Turbo on order since late last year but it’s delivery date is quite wooly. Sometime in “the 3rd quarter” if the planets are in alignment.

In any case it’s not a towing car, so the X will stay and in due course I’d love a Rivian….or an F150 for pure shits and giggles.

I’ve a Taycan Turbo on order since late last year but it’s delivery date is quite wooly. Sometime in “the 3rd quarter” if the planets are in alignment.

In any case it’s not a towing car, so the X will stay and in due course I’d love a Rivian….or an F150 for pure shits and giggles.
If all the supercharger network opens up then Rivian with the electric pull out hob will be a cool way to take up 2 spaces and save on revolting services food. The with Lucid air coming and the merc options Tesla will have to do something if they want to compete against quality

I suspect that’s what most people think when they read your blog posts.
That's fine for me since it's a hobby. WLTP is a joke and has no relevance to the real world, where Tesla remains at the top of all its classes. Take a look at Bjorn's spreadsheet to get an idea on the efficiency difference.

WLTP for PHEV is also a scam where a Range Rover Sport at 18g CO2/km can legally claim to be more greener than even a Tesla.

I like my Model S but it's 5 years old now. Totally sold on the EV concept but the new S's aren't coming here anytime soon.

So what do I look for, the Y or 3 seems like a step down for a smaller car. The Taycan and EQS are just a little to expensive.

Polestar is a great upgrade if you are a Volvo driver but felt like a step down from the S.

Merc EQC maybe? BMW iX?

I usually get something a year old so what would you choose (and why) while we wait for the US to get bored with the S and send us some?
Are you buying a year old car to save money or to make sure kinks are worked out? Right now in the US, new cars are cheaper than year old used cars that are the same spec😳

Reactions: Kandiru
I’m watching the Polestar 3. I love the MY but the driver assist tech is not that great, Jack of all trades master of none experience for me.

The Polestar vehicles I’ve seen have excellent build quality.

However, I just don’t want to deal with the dealers. I find it a hateful experience. Polestar looks likely to follow a similar model in the US as Tesla so hopefully that’ll be the same in the U.K.

Problem with Polestar is at the moment they have no presence. I wanted to test drive one but for me in Newcastle I’d have to go all the way to Manchester to do that. No chance.

They’re stupid for not making use of the Volvo dealership network.

I’m watching the Polestar 3. I love the MY but the driver assist tech is not that great, Jack of all trades master of none experience for me.

The Polestar vehicles I’ve seen have excellent build quality.

However, I just don’t want to deal with the dealers. I find it a hateful experience. Polestar looks likely to follow a similar model in the US as Tesla so hopefully that’ll be the same in the U.K.
Interesting, I thought the Polestar 2 driver assist didn't hold a candle to the Model S's... horse for courses I guess

Are you buying a year old car to save money or to make sure kinks are worked out? Right now in the US, new cars are cheaper than year old used cars that are the same spec😳
I was considering a 2 year old S, but I'm not sure if there is enough different to my current one. Probably is. But no other 2 year old EV compares so have to go new.

Interesting, I thought the Polestar 2 driver assist didn't hold a candle to the Model S's... horse for courses I guess
I may have a broken MY. The EAP fails consistently and barely works for more than a minute. It’s going into the SC to be looked at. I didn’t book it in as I couldn’t be bothered but they insisted. Maybe a camera(s) is off. I get constant error messages.

Anyways,
Tesla efficiency can’t be matched right now and the SUC network is superb and that’s why I bought the MY. Doesn’t stop me window shopping!

Last edited:
I may have a broken MY. The EAP fails consistently and barely works for more than a minute. It’s going into the SC to be looked at. I didn’t book it in as I couldn’t be bothered but they insisted. Maybe a camera(s) is off. I get constant error messages.

Anyways,
Tesla efficiency can’t be matched right now and the SUC network is superb and that’s why I bought the MY. Doesn’t stop me window shopping!
I took the polestar on my run to work and not only was it not as comfy with the drivers aides on the road, on one corner it decided it couldn't cope and just just turned them off.

At least the Tesla makes noise when that happens this just headed towards a tree...... Volvo safety for the win there :)

Reactions: Undecided_2