Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternatives to Tesla's hardtop storage bag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to pick up a soft padded cover to store my hardtop in over the summer, and wondered how other owners have addressed this. Tesla sells what looks to be a nice storage bag for $250:

Tesla — Hardtop Storage Bag

...but, you know... it's a $250 padded bag. I'm sure it's the finest hand-stitched, Corinthian nylon bag that money can buy, but my padded bag needs are relatively simple and utilitarian.

I just have the feeling that somewhere out there is a BBQ cover or something that happens to fit the Roadster hardtop perfectly. Any suggestions?

I'd like to pick up a soft padded cover to store my hardtop in over the summer, and wondered how other owners have addressed this. Tesla sells what looks to be a nice storage bag for $250:

Tesla — Hardtop Storage Bag

...but, you know... it's a $250 padded bag. I'm sure it's the finest hand-stitched, Corinthian nylon bag that money can buy, but my padded bag needs are relatively simple and utilitarian.

I just have the feeling that somewhere out there is a BBQ cover or something that happens to fit the Roadster hardtop perfectly. Any suggestions?

We use this half-the time. It's good, but if you do, watch out for the zipper getting "off-track".

I wouldn't trust my CF hardtop in anything of less quality or padding. When your $3,000 to $5,000 got damaged all because someone wanted to cut corners with a storage bag, well, I feel its not worth getting anything less than that bag. Its the best bag available. I put my CF hardtop in there as well as my Fiberglass Elise top that I run on my Roadster. Both fit fine in there.

• Helpful
Reactions: triakter
It's a great bag, well worth the price. I have my two hard tops in there with thick towels between them (one body color and one carbon fiber). So it has some extra space. The best part is what Simon mentioned, it hangs on the wall in the garage taking up no space on the ground.

I wrap my top in a thick fleece towel, and hang it in the garage. Has worked for me the past few years.
Why? Because the bag wasn't available when I got the hard top. If I there would have been a bag then, I would've probably preferred the bag, but this works fine for me too so I didn't bother getting one later.

If you are going solely by the website, you might want to see if your service manager can locate one. That worked for me with two items (HPWC, and the door seal) that were "not available" on the website, but he found both for me after a bit of calling around to other service centers.

Ditto. I have the bag, but every time I use it I wonder why. There is nothing special about it. I think you would be just fine wrapping it in an old comforter or a brand-new cloth painter's tarp with some bungee cords. You just want something to keep you from bumping or scratching it.