Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

alternators

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some dude found this on the windshield of his Tesla this morning.

Are "ALTERNATORS" becoming a reality?

k40383fybra31.jpg

Why is the website URL crossed out?

Also, if such an invention existed, don't they think Tesla could pivot to that kind of energy generation in their existing fleet? Sure, all the existing EVs would be "obsolete" but then wouldn't every single ICE vehicle also be?

Yeah. Unless packaging requirements ruled it out, Tesla would design a new flat pack with the new tech, and start selling upgraded Model 3s for a few thousand less as fast as they can make them.

Meanwhile the rest of the industry would have to design new cars and find new sources of electric motors in large numbers before they could begin to match Tesla or demand in general.

Not that I believe there's actually a breakthrough ready for mass production this year - the note is more short b.s. or an act of jealousy.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Why is the website URL crossed out?

Also, if such an invention existed, don't they think Tesla could pivot to that kind of energy generation in their existing fleet? Sure, all the existing EVs would be "obsolete" but then wouldn't every single ICE vehicle also be?
There's enough info in that picture to figure out the site. I won't give the site any traffic. I got overwhelmed with BS before I got half way through a video transcript. You can figure out what it's about by googling "1-1-8 technology", which will lead you to another site summarizing the transcript. I got overwhelmed with BS half way through the summary of the transcript. Let me save you the pain: Nickle sulfate will make batteries super better and so buy my stock in an African nickel mine or two.
Why Elon wouldn't be jumping for joy and investing is "an exercise left for the reader" because I hit my BS limit for the week.

0 to 10c in 1 second
This is the funniest part.
They are trying to say that a new way to make unlimited electricity will be bad? For Tesla?

Ive got a friend who keeps telling me there’s a machine that generates 30kWh for every 5kWh put in. I keep telling him that’s wonderful news and that I can’t wait for lower power bills once the utilities start using it.

There was a guy in our local Australian owners club who installed marine batteries in the boot of his MX because he somehow calculated that he could charge them while driving then charged his car from them while it was parked.

I blame the schools...

I really don't see how a series of 4 brushless alternators working together (1 on each axle) powered by the momentum of the vehicle while using a cvt type pulley system like a transmission to turn these alternators, would not produce enough power to at least prolong the life of a battery charge by a minimum of 50%.
And even adding a system like that to the drive shaft where the alternator system would be spinning faster than the motor.

How is it even an argument? Have anyone ever spun an alternator by hand? There's practically zero resistance. The weight of the vehicle alone would effortlessly turn them. All you need is a transmission system to spin them faster than the axles or drive shaft is spinning.

And so what if it's not infinite power? If it's maintaining a charge on the highway or prolonging the driving distance then just do it

There's practically zero resistance.

Exactly. Practically zero is not zero. It doesn't matter how much resistance there is, the alternator can not create more energy than it consumes. You would be taking energy from the axle or driveshaft, losing some of that energy to inefficiency, heat and friction, and generating less energy to put back into the battery.

How is it even an argument?

Yup.

The weight of the vehicle alone would effortlessly turn them.

Yes, if you're going downhill, that's called gravity. What about uphill?

:rolleyes:

I really don't see how a series of 4 brushless alternators working together (1 on each axle) powered by the momentum of the vehicle while using a cvt type pulley system like a transmission to turn these alternators, would not produce enough power to at least prolong the life of a battery charge by a minimum of 50%.
And even adding a system like that to the drive shaft where the alternator system would be spinning faster than the motor.

How is it even an argument? Have anyone ever spun an alternator by hand? There's practically zero resistance. The weight of the vehicle alone would effortlessly turn them. All you need is a transmission system to spin them faster than the axles or drive shaft is spinning.

And so what if it's not infinite power? If it's maintaining a charge on the highway or prolonging the driving distance then just do it

Have you ever tried to spin an alternator while the field coil is energized?

Completely different ballgame. You've only experienced an alternator with the electrical side dead, where you're only facing the resistance of the bearings themselves.

But look at the logic for a moment. You're using the vehicle's inertia to spin the alternator, slowing it down by an arbitrary amount. Then you're taking the energy from that and putting it into the electric motors to accelerate the car by what you're expecting to be a greater amount than you just slowed the car (if you don't get more acceleration than slowing, then the range of the car will be less than the range without this system.)

So you have to be putting more energy into the the motors than you took out with the alternators...