Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Altitude / Altimeter

pdxgibby

Software Engineer
Oct 30, 2015
Tualatin, Oregon
As we all know, elevation change has a direct impact on range in our vehicles. My previous car had an altimeter built in and would display the altitude in 10-20 foot increments, which is close enough for being beneficial. Has Tesla ever provided this information in the UI, say with navigation?

I searched the forums and found a couple threads that were related, but there was no clear answer (and those threads were rather old).

I'm hoping that it's there and I just haven't seen it yet.

Anyone?

donv

Jul 15, 2013
Lake Jeanclia, OR
It can get altitude information using GPS to reasonable accuracy. So it already has that data.

It does provide the data to some extent when you look at a trip using the energy display. However, it's not using real time data, just a database of road elevations. Still basically good enough.

Mar 11, 2010
Humboldt/Los Altos
It can get altitude information using GPS to reasonable accuracy. So it already has that data.

It does provide the data to some extent when you look at a trip using the energy display. However, it's not using real time data, just a database of road elevations. Still basically good enough.

this is quite a bit newer but also doesn't work if you don't have an actual trip destination. although at least now you can tap a nav location to set a trip point

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
The streaming API reports altitude in meters, so certain apps like VisibleTesla could make use of it. But the car does not report it.

Graffi

Apr 30, 2017
San Diego, CA
I use teslawaze constantly, below the gps map on top. It is nice having the wind speed and direction, as well as the elevation, show on the waze traffic condition map. Thanks Eric!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC