TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Altitude / Altimeter

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by pdxgibby, Dec 21, 2015.

1. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Member

As we all know, elevation change has a direct impact on range in our vehicles. My previous car had an altimeter built in and would display the altitude in 10-20 foot increments, which is close enough for being beneficial. Has Tesla ever provided this information in the UI, say with navigation?

I searched the forums and found a couple threads that were related, but there was no clear answer (and those threads were rather old).

I'm hoping that it's there and I just haven't seen it yet.

Anyone?

2. Zextraterrestrial

nope.
    fail

....I actually bought a gps/altimeter trekking device when I first got my S. took it back because it was a bit pricey just for that one purpose

3. donv

donv Member

It can get altitude information using GPS to reasonable accuracy. So it already has that data.

It does provide the data to some extent when you look at a trip using the energy display. However, it's not using real time data, just a database of road elevations. Still basically good enough.

4. Zextraterrestrial

this is quite a bit newer but also doesn't work if you don't have an actual trip destination. although at least now you can tap a nav location to set a trip point

5. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Member

Yes, GPS should be able to provide that information. Seems like just a software upgrade could manage this. It sure would be nice.

6. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

I would love to have this information displayed.

It is not only for trip planning but also for proximity estimation.

7. mobe

mobe Member

There's an app for that. "Speed box", You can check speedometer accuracy and see altitude.

8. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The streaming API reports altitude in meters, so certain apps like VisibleTesla could make use of it. But the car does not report it.

9. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Maybe they could add that in with the compass I'd like to see in the display regardless of GPS screen being used.

10. scanred_x

scanred_x Member

Interesting. In my Model S (or in Europe) is not found. Where is this App? Or how to activate it?

Thanks

11. garygid

garygid Member

It would be nice to have the elevation data plotted on the Trip energy-usage-estimation chart,
    since they must already have the data to estimate the energy usage ... using a different color.

12. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

i believe the app mentioned is for iPhone, not on tesla apps, i.e. Speedometer Free Speed Box on the App Store