TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Altoona Supercharger (proposal)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by garsh, May 3, 2016.

1. garsh

garsh Re Member

Once Tesla completes the Erie, Harrisburg, and I-80 supercharger installations, I'd like to see them add one more off of I-99 near Altoona.

This is the route between Pittsburgh and Penn State main campus:
    [​IMG]
    There are no superchargers along this route. It's ~150 miles one-way (depending on your exact starting location). That's a 300 mile round-trip. Doable if you plan on sticking around long enough at a destination charger, but it's unfortunately too long to make the entire round trip. One would currently have to drive 50 miles out of the way on the turnpike to Somerset to reach a supercharger.

I would suggest putting one in the vicinity of Logan Valley Mall. This location is just off the intersection of I-99 and route 22.
    [​IMG]
    There are many restaurants within walking distance. Both Eat'n Park and Denny's are open 24 hours.
    Lots of shopping too.

Would anybody else be able to make use of such a location? Are there any other good potential supercharger locations along this route?

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

If I remember correctly, Tesla has an email account where they encourage suggestions for SpC locations...

3. garsh

garsh Re Member

I sent the suggestion to that account.
    I wanted to see if there was any user support for the suggested location.

4. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

I use I-99 coming north to PSU from VA so I'd top off.
    But I think Tesla's next area of focus will be energizing I-80; I thought I laid all the groundwork for them in New Columbia but they must have other plans there. So I doubt an Altoona outpost would make the 2016 map.
    But, the spot I had in New Columbia did wind up getting a destination charger, so if you know a forward-thinking business (restaurant/hotel) in the area you can easily pitch a destination charger, which is essentially free for the site since the last I heard Tesla pays about $3K in installation charges and provides the equipment. This would help resolve some of the range anxiety today while the future maps evolve.

5. garsh

garsh Re Member

Definitely, they've stated as much. I mentioned that in my opening sentence:
    And I think I-80 should be the next focus area. But once the I-80 superchargers are in place, I think Altoona is the next highest priority for western PA.

6. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

I support Altoona supercharger as well. I've charged at the Sheetz in Altoona a number of times. Hopefully Tesla can see where people are using the Chademos as a good indication of where they need to put superchargers.