TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Aluminum Corrosion Question

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by STxTesla, Aug 4, 2012.

1. STxTesla

STxTesla Sig #1278

I know that in the past aluminum bodied cars were notorious for experiencing corrosion at places where steel bolts were connected.
    The electrolysis that occurs from combining two different metals would result in terrible corrosion/melding of the metals that would
    cause major problems whenever repairs were necessary.

My question is....

Are current aluminum technologies in place that would reduce the corrosive reactions that have existed in aluminum bodied automobiles?
    Has Tesla taken steps to minimize the corrosive properties of aluminum?

2. DrDave

DrDave Member

They are running the cars through ecoat, which provides corrosion protection (among other things).

3. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

But, over time, when you loosen a bolt somewhere (to replace a part), is it possible you damage the e-coat which will lead to corrosion at that spot?

4. STxTesla

STxTesla Sig #1278

Thanks for the answers. Looks like electrophoresis coatings are about the best protection possible for the prevention of aluminum corrosion.
    This bit of info adds to my comfort level in the investment that I have made in the Model S and Tesla Motors.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Never had any corrosion problems in the almost 20 years I drove my Land-Rover Series III in Canada. I don't expect any problems in the Model S either.