Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aluminum pedals installed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got them installed. It took me about 10 mins. I started out thinking it would be a breeze, then as I started to slip them on I started to panic thinking "what the hell was I thinking?". Then as my fingers started to hurt I thought to myself "this is exactly why Tesla puts the OEM ones on for you". Then as I only had a little bit of rubber left to complete the wrap around I started to feel the excitement of having new pedals! Finally after a short break they were slipped on completely and I thought to myself "that was easy" lol

Reactions: Sawyer8888
Just got them installed. It took me about 10 mins. I started out thinking it would be a breeze, then as I started to slip them on I started to panic thinking "what the hell was I thinking?". Then as my fingers started to hurt I thought to myself "this is exactly why Tesla puts the OEM ones on for you". Then as I only had a little bit of rubber left to complete the wrap around I started to feel the excitement of having new pedals! Finally after a short break they were slipped on completely and I thought to myself "that was easy" lol

yup, i basically had the same thought as I had sweat dripping down my face, pissed off and yelling wtf while the door kept slamming on my leg.

Pic

Attachments

• D021EC66-B9BB-45D7-9C2E-F8B3D46203E6.jpeg
    D021EC66-B9BB-45D7-9C2E-F8B3D46203E6.jpeg
    510.2 KB · Views: 201
When my X was at the service center for 1 year maintenance I had them replace the pedals with the performance pedals. Easily the best upgrade for the X. I highly recommend them. Anyone getting a new car, get the performance pedals when ordering. They feel better, are thicker and wider.

"Performance Pedals" ???? That's funny. A real marketing term. I'm sure you get better "performance" with a different pedal :D
Agree, they do look nice and I also bought them. I haven't noticed that they feel any better though. And the performance of the car certainly isn't any better. They need to change the name of the pedal and not insult our intelligence :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: HenryCH
Thank you for sharing. For less than $36, how can you go wrong? I just purchased a set.

I plan to use a hand-held steamer to make the rubber more pliable when installing. Steamers would be a better option IMO than a heat gun, which could melt the meterial.

Some people said they soaked the pedals in hot water first. I used a hair dryer. It can't get hot enough to melt or distort the rubber and it is quicker.

"Performance Pedals" ???? That's funny. A real marketing term. I'm sure you get better "performance" with a different pedal :D
Agree, they do look nice and I also bought them. I haven't noticed that they feel any better though. And the performance of the car certainly isn't any better. They need to change the name of the pedal and not insult our intelligence :cool:

Hmm thats weird. I love my new pedals. They feel different and more wide to me then the stock. Guess not for everyone. You should return them.

Reactions: FlyF4
Hmm thats weird. I love my new pedals. They feel different and more wide to me then the stock. Guess not for everyone. You should return them.

Allow me to clarify. I like the pedals. Just saying I don't really notice any difference in the feel when I press them. I just thought it was funny that they are referred to as "Performance Pedals"... As if they area going to make my car have better performance :D

yup, i basically had the same thought as I had sweat dripping down my face, pissed off and yelling wtf while the door kept slamming on my leg.

Ha, that's funny. Same experience here. Those pedals were so hard to install (even with heating them) that my fingers are now strong enough to be used as vice-grips and I think I actually lost some weight in my butt from the driver door constantly banging my tail as I installed the brake pedal :mad:

I should charge people for this tip, but here we go

#1a Do the brake pedal, it's way easier and you feel better about yourself

#1 Stretch the gas pedal rubber a little with your two index fingers at the corners on both the left and right side to start, do this before you even get on your knees
#2 Crawl under the dash, slip the pedal over the right side (the side near the center console). That should go on relatively easy and you just want the entire right side to be on the pedal.
#3 Get back up and stretch a little as it will get tough
#4 Go back under and basically slide both your index fingers under the left top and left bottom corner. You are almost trying to pull it open at the same. The idea is that when you have both corners open, you want to slide that over the left side of the pedal without the right side popping up. This might take many tries, but it is the easiest way to finish it. You need to tilt it at an angle where the right side won't pop and you can get your fingers in there deep enough to hold it open and allow you to slide your fingers in.
#5 Once you get the left corners on, you just have to hold the gas pedal down and slide your fingers to the side to pull the rest out. It shouldn't be too bad once you get all 4 corners on. Remember don't let any of the 4 corners pop up, else you will do this again.

Do the right side first as you can have better leverage pulling the left side open.

These arrived in South Florida 19 days after placing the order (Dec. 7 - Dec. 26). The quality appears to be decent.

Removing the original rubber brake pedal rubber was the easiest part. Using some steam to loosen up the rubber on these new pedals didn't help all that much. It was still a bit of a struggle to install.

After 20 minutes +/-, I was able to slip them both on. They sit in place very well, so there is no concern that they will pop off while driving.

This was a very inexpensive improvement.