Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aluminum wire on Copper receptable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kithytom

Special Guest
Jul 30, 2021
F3V4+837
My home has 6-AWG XHHW-2 wire in Aluminum. I plan to replace the cheap Leviton 14-50 receptacle with Hubbell or Bryant.
However both Hubbell and Bryant say COPPER CONDUCTORS ONLY. My circuit breaker is only 40A though. My questions is:

I know it's not recommended, but is aluminum wire on copper receptacle NEC compliant?
If not, what alternative industrial 14-50 brand is available?

thanks

Reactions: ucmndd
Aluminum wiring? I will bring the marshmallows and chocolate, someone else can bring the Graham Crackers.
killer.gif
Bet the house has Pex waterlines too?

My home has 6-AWG XHHW-2 wire in Aluminum. I plan to replace the cheap Leviton 14-50 receptacle with Hubbell or Bryant.
However both Hubbell and Bryant say COPPER CONDUCTORS ONLY. My circuit breaker is only 40A though. My questions is:

I know it's not recommended, but is aluminum wire on copper receptacle NEC compliant?
If not, what alternative industrial 14-50 brand is available?

thanks

Aluminum is tricky. The oxide coating it forms isn't very conductive. If you don't terminate it correctly it's very easy to have a high resistance connection that can get worse over time. The electrician I work with always coats any aluminum connections in a grease. NOALOX.

Last edited:
I don't know if you care, but that 6AWG aluminum should be capable of being on a 50 amp breaker. If you are using the UMC it won't make any charging difference since its limited to 32A continuously, but some other 14-50 based chargers will deliver 40 amps continuously.

Reactions: kithytom
Aluminum wiring is perfectly safe it is sized and terminated correctly.
If it is terminated correctly! The question in this post, though, was about attaching it to a device that says it is for copper only. That would not be terminated correctly.
Most of your utilities feeds are aluminum wire in many areas.
Yes, and main service entrance lines go into panels and junction boxes that have lugs made to support either aluminum or copper wire.

If it is terminated correctly! The question in this post, though, was about attaching it to a device that says it is for copper only. That would not be terminated correctly.

Yes, and main service entrance lines go into panels and junction boxes that have lugs made to support either aluminum or copper wire.
The original poster indicated all aluminum wiring was looking for a fire to roast marshmallows.

• Disagree
Reactions: Murky-Article