Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Always carry the key card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is probably common knowledge, and common sense since cell phones always have the possibility of breaking. But I find modern cell phones very reliable and have become complacent about not necessarily always having the key card on me as a backup.

But I can confirm that the risk here is much greater than just the possibility that your cell phone could stop working at any time. Besides that the tesla app can require you to re-login at any time and requires internet for this to happen. So if you're in a remote area your cell phone can be perfectly functional but at any time tesla might arbitrarily require a re-login and without internet the phone cannot be used to access the car anymore

I was lucky that I was in a location with intermittent internet access, so after a few tries I was able to re-login to the tesla app and get back in the car. But in a more remote location I would have been completely locked out.

I know this is kind of a "duh" PSA, but I bet I'm not the only person who "usually" carries the card. So for anybody else out there who "usually" rather than "always" carries the card (or a fob) -- better make it "always"

Also if you have an android phone you can tap the phone on the outside column instead of a keycard and it will unlock the car just like a key card. Useful for when the bluetooth connection is being stupid, which seems to happen to me about once a month at random.

Not sure if the tap to unlock will work if you got signed out of the app though, haven't tested.

Reactions: imola.zhp
Am I wrong thinking that an alternative would be calling any other driver you have authorized, and have her (in my case, my wife) unlock and start the car via app? It can be done from any (borrowed or public) phone. Of course, the car will need to have signal for that to work.

The car will need signal and you will need access to a phone with signal.

I remember some of the car sharing services had similar issues. They worked great until the car was driven somewhere with blocked signal.

Until the battery in the fob dies

With a dead battery (even no battery), the key fob will work like the key card: Tap on side pillar to lock/unlock, tap on center console to drive.

That's yet another reason I like the fob, even when it 'fails' (dead battery) it still works.

You can use the fob to:

- Open Frunk/Trunk
- Unlock/Lock doors
- Open the charge port door
- Use it for dumb summon (forward/back)
- Passive lock/unlock (walk away/walk up)
- As a key card

Last edited:
Also if you have an android phone you can tap the phone on the outside column instead of a keycard and it will unlock the car just like a key card. Useful for when the bluetooth connection is being stupid, which seems to happen to me about once a month at random.

Not sure if the tap to unlock will work if you got signed out of the app though, haven't tested.

@Petrlol that's a great question. I would assume that the NFC on your phone would still call out to an app service for a token or something to pass to the vehicle, much like how if you tap to pay with your phone, it's really Google/Apple/Samsung Pay that's doing the processing.

The car will need signal and you will need access to a phone with signal.

I remember some of the car sharing services had similar issues. They worked great until the car was driven somewhere with blocked signal.

Some folks have driven up to the top of hills or to observatories or the like with lots of radio antennas and broadcast towers. The close proximity to strong RF interferes with the Tesla's cell data link. So you can't get into your car even if you have your smartphone on good cell service. SO a keycard or fob (or BT as used in 3 and Y) is necessary.

Am I wrong thinking that an alternative would be calling any other driver you have authorized, and have her (in my case, my wife) unlock and start the car via app? It can be done from any (borrowed or public) phone. Of course, the car will need to have signal for that to work.
You're not wrong. I've had to do that for my wife when she's forgotten her key at home after switching cars with me. I also had to do it once when her phone was dead after a long flight. She texted me from her iPad and I unlocked and started the car for her.

Hmmm... It is just a credit card form factor. You carry your driver's license at all times, right? So keep it card with the DL.
There is also one cached on my car. Pain to get to, but in emergencies,one does what one must.
I also heard of someone implanting the chip in an upper arm. Not sure where or how big the resonant chip is, trying to bribe my dentist to xray my card to see...
My Tesla card also works as an access card at work. It's good to be da king! (Or at least the admin of the card system).