Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Always check prices at the service center first

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed my radiator was pretty ****ed up and so i pulled up good ol eBay and saw they go for $400+ used and was like nevermind I'll just sit there for like 2 days and bend one fin straight at a time.
Before i began though i decided to see what teslas price was just for the lol's, since they are usually 20% higher than eBay but i figured what the hell.
The same ****ing radiator is only $50 that's it fifty freaking dollars for a new radiator.

Needless to say I'm buying that sucker on Friday. and yeah i know how to do all the coolant crap, I've pulled the rad off before to replace the louvers.

Just wanted to give a PSA in case anyone needs parts. If you live close to a SC or are in the area you can just walk up and ask for a parts rep and they will square you away, but I'm 2+hr from the nearest one and wasn't planning on goin to the area soon so i had to do it through the stupid app since they don't answer phones.

PXL_20220414_154752842.jpg
Screenshot_20220420-105131_2.png

I noticed my radiator was pretty ****ed up and so i pulled up good ol eBay and saw they go for $400+ used and was like nevermind I'll just sit there for like 2 days and bend one fin straight at a time.
Before i began though i decided to see what teslas price was just for the lol's, since they are usually 20% higher than eBay but i figured what the hell.
The same ****ing radiator is only $50 that's it fifty freaking dollars for a new radiator.

Needless to say I'm buying that sucker on Friday. and yeah i know how to do all the coolant crap, I've pulled the rad off before to replace the louvers.

Just wanted to give a PSA in case anyone needs parts. If you live close to a SC or are in the area you can just walk up and ask for a parts rep and they will square you away, but I'm 2+hr from the nearest one and wasn't planning on goin to the area soon so i had to do it through the stupid app since they don't answer phones.

View attachment 795766View attachment 795767
Did you have a write up for doing the coolant. Want to do mine this summer. Cheers!

Buy 6 and sell 5 on eBay? 😆

That’s gotta be a mistake, so run with it. Mine was replaced in 2020 (looked a lot like yours before a rock went through it) and the part was $295.

There are 2 different radiators, one for the older style cars which had the horns up near the lights, which is the $50 radiator. The newer cars that have the horn at the radiator use the $300 radiator. Some older cars may have the newer radiator system retrofitted so they would be using the $300 one.

Also to add, the physical size of them are different and not easily interchangeable. Please dont ask why I know that...

It might be a good idea to get one of the older ones to have around just in case... I've seen Tesla stop making some of the old parts, when that happens a owner will need to "Upgrade to the new system" Not sure if they new one is any different, other than physical size I dont notice any difference, and the difference in size is small.

I have to say beside the other common issues with Tesla SC, their pricing an honesty keeps shocking me.

In my brain after all the German cars I had a dealer = stealer. I never ever got a tire replaced at a dealer due to the crazy pricing, except one time when I had a puncture out of town before Christmas and the local BMW dealer had one where I had to pay 280+ what I usually do (TireRack + local installer).

Tesla sold me 2 rear tires for my Plaid (which was nightmare to find for 3 weeks) at cheaper price than what I have gotten them online from TireRack and all the brick and mortar stores.

Did you have a write up for doing the coolant. Want to do mine this summer. Cheers!
go to the fixyourtesla page. it got taken down but you can still access it via the wayback machine from around march of 2021 or so and it still loads just follow the directions. if you're gonna flush the entire system you need to buy the software from tesla. In my case I'm just pulling off the rad and don't spill much juice so i am able to just top off the reservoir after about 100 miles and its good to go.
There are 2 different radiators, one for the older style cars which had the horns up near the lights, which is the $50 radiator. The newer cars that have the horn at the radiator use the $300 radiator. Some older cars may have the newer radiator system retrofitted so they would be using the $300 one.
So i was just on the epc parts site and i found a different rad PN but that one is for the 2016+ cars on the 12-15 cars they all list the PN i show in my first post that is $50. But out of curiosity i gave the other PN to tesla on the app chat and asked them to verify that is not the one i need.

The number i gave them just now for the 2016+ is PN: 1057999-00-B the one for the 2012-2015 is PN: 6007372-00-A
My car has the horns behind the radiator built into the louver assembly, and based on your comment it made me question my car.

Reactions: Plasmid_Boy
go to the fixyourtesla page. it got taken down but you can still access it via the wayback machine from around march of 2021 or so and it still loads just follow the directions. if you're gonna flush the entire system you need to buy the software from tesla. In my case I'm just pulling off the rad and don't spill much juice so i am able to just top off the reservoir after about 100 miles and its good to go.

So i was just on the epc parts site and i found a different rad PN but that one is for the 2016+ cars on the 12-15 cars they all list the PN i show in my first post that is $50. But out of curiosity i gave the other PN to tesla on the app chat and asked them to verify that is not the one i need.

The number i gave them just now for the 2016+ is PN: 1057999-00-B the one for the 2012-2015 is PN: 6007372-00-A
My car has the horns behind the radiator built into the louver assembly, and based on your comment it made me question my car.
Strange... I've used both recently. And currently I have a car that uses the $50 one. The first time I did this one one of my cars the entire radiator assembly along with the ducts got smashed. I ordered all new replacements, the new ducts had moved the horns into the duct so I had to move mine. Recently we had a car that needed just the radiator, the $50 one didnt fit, and I had to order a $300 one.

The current car I have I tried to use some of the new ducts, (with horn) and can see the radiator is not wide enough. Didn't bother trying to make it fit. Used set of ducts arrived, so will check the fit today.

Will try to get some measurements and part numbers to correlate everything. Then we can put this subject to the golden storage archives.

Also one can bleed all the air out of the radiator using the release screw, its in the upper driver side if I remember correctly.

@TonyT Tesla just responded and said the part number I gave them is correct. So your info was wrong. About the horn and the different
Strange... I've used both recently. And currently I have a car that uses the $50 one. The first time I did this one one of my cars the entire radiator assembly along with the ducts got smashed. I ordered all new replacements, the new ducts had moved the horns into the duct so I had to move mine. Recently we had a car that needed just the radiator, the $50 one didnt fit, and I had to order a $300 one.

The current car I have I tried to use some of the new ducts, (with horn) and can see the radiator is not wide enough. Didn't bother trying to make it fit. Used set of ducts arrived, so will check the fit today.

Will try to get some measurements and part numbers to correlate everything. Then we can put this subject to the golden storage archives.

Also one can bleed all the air out of the radiator using the release screw, its in the upper driver side if I remember correctly.
Yeah tesla responded and said that i gave them the right number for my car and I'm gonna pick it up today. So over the weekend I'll pull it apart and see what's up. Hopefully the cheap one I'm buying fits, since the service center is 3 hr away and i don't wanna drive back to return it and get a more expensive one.

I repaired my door handles on my model S a few years back. The paddle gears had cracked. They charged me $0.99 a piece. just over four bucks with tax.
I went with the kit from evtuning for my door handles it's more expensive by a lot but it's a fix it once and never again solution.

@TonyT I just installed the $50 radiator and it's the exact same one as I removed. So there may be some overlap before they swapped to the $300 radiator with the horns in the louver assembly.

I also installed some screen material to hopefully block some of the crap that came flying through there that did all the damage in the first place.
PXL_20220423_155918432.jpg
PXL_20220423_175323343.jpg

Reactions: KyleDay
I went with the kit from evtuning for my door handles it's more expensive by a lot but it's a fix it once and never again solution.

@TonyT I just installed the $50 radiator and it's the exact same one as I removed. So there may be some overlap before they swapped to the $300 radiator with the horns in the louver assembly.

I also installed some screen material to hopefully block some of the crap that came flying through there that did all the damage in the first place.
View attachment 796775View attachment 796776

There could be 2 size ducts with horns in the back. All I know is I retrofitted the ap front duct on my 13 car, the fit was not good. I didn't realize why at the time, but I suspect I have the $50 radiator in my car, and had the matching front and back ducts. To properly complete my retrofit I likely need to switch to the $300 radiator and new rear duct. I got everything to fit well enough and don't see any issues. Not planning to change unless I have issues.

What is more interesting is you have the AP front of the duct, however your using the $50 radiator?

So looks like all 3 parts can be all 3 sizes. Just like your noticing.

The only thing I'm certain about is the 2 radiators are slightly different size.

You can see the $50 radiator does not fit the rear duct in my pictures below.

Attachments

• DD1839B8-7ED2-43FF-B8A8-F922E8B15FEB.jpeg
    DD1839B8-7ED2-43FF-B8A8-F922E8B15FEB.jpeg
    415.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 5767DA1B-F964-4DFA-AE4C-E62709FFC02B.jpeg
    5767DA1B-F964-4DFA-AE4C-E62709FFC02B.jpeg
    761.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 0776A298-CB96-4FA2-9992-029A213F491E.jpeg
    0776A298-CB96-4FA2-9992-029A213F491E.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited: