TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Always connected enabled, still slow to connect

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Matias, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Matias

Matias Active Member

I have always connected enabled. Still when using my android app, car is slow to respond. Often I get connection only with the second try. Is this normal?

I have my car connected to my WiFi, could this have any effect?

2. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

I find if you kill the Tesla app right away, wait 4-5 seconds, then launch, it connects every time.

3. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

I also found it slow when it used my wifi. When I connect over 3G, it works fine.
    I would test it when the car is on 3G. If it responds quickly , then you know it is your wifi.
    In my case, my wifi provider had throttled my usage back so the car was never receiving my request to connect to it.

4. davidc18

davidc18 Member

Happens here as well. Luckily not often.

5. Phil K

Phil K Member

I often lost 3G if the car was not used for a few days.

6. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

If you have one or two bars shown by the WiFi signal indicator the connection may not be all that reliable. I had to use a WiFi extender at my front door to get a good connection. I've heard others are using a directional antenna on their WiFi access point/router. If WiFi reception is still bad, you may be better off using cellular.

Also with energy saving enabled, even if I have "always connected" ticked in the car still seems to fall asleep and has to be woken up.

7. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Yes, I have the same experience. Killing the app and restarting often, but not always, helps. The Android app is just another example of Tesla's generally poor software quality IMHO.

8. AllenWong

AllenWong Member

I heard that the Android Tesla app was bad, but didn't know it was this bad. Are there no third party android Tesla apps out there? If not, then I guess I can code Remote S for Android when I recover from my surgery.

9. Matias

Matias Active Member

It would be great!

10. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

Oh yeah, it's unreliable for me too... mind you, I'm running it on a Blackberry. However, the problems I'm reading here are exactly my experience, so I suspect it's the app and not the emulation on the Blackberry.

It would be really great if you did do an Android version... preferably through Amazon rather than Google Play, so that Blackberry people can get it more readily!

11. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Yes please!

I have the same slow load, and restart the app to get it to work. In addition, there are no push notifications in android, which I find mind-boggling that Apple users can be informed when their cars are unplugged/etc. and the only way android users can find out is by constantly monitoring the app.

12. Matias

Matias Active Member

#12 Matias, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    I moved my wifi repeater to a better spot and now car seems to respond better.

edit: no, same problem continues. At least wifi signal is now strong, so that is not the problem. If Apple users aren't seeing this, it must be the Android app.

13. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

I use both the Android and the iOS versions of the app and do not notice a significant difference in performance. My connectivity issues have been signal-related (i.e. weak WiFi or parked the car in an enclosed garage) or car sleeping-related.

14. MrBravo

MrBravo Member

Thank you! This works. But it should not be this hard. It should work from the first try... Let us hope for an update to the app that fixes this.

15. schonert

schonert Member

Add in my vote for a Android Remote S app.