Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Always connected enabled, still slow to connect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Matias

Apr 2, 2014
Finland
I have always connected enabled. Still when using my android app, car is slow to respond. Often I get connection only with the second try. Is this normal?

I have my car connected to my WiFi, could this have any effect?

I also found it slow when it used my wifi. When I connect over 3G, it works fine.
I would test it when the car is on 3G. If it responds quickly , then you know it is your wifi.
In my case, my wifi provider had throttled my usage back so the car was never receiving my request to connect to it.

If you have one or two bars shown by the WiFi signal indicator the connection may not be all that reliable. I had to use a WiFi extender at my front door to get a good connection. I've heard others are using a directional antenna on their WiFi access point/router. If WiFi reception is still bad, you may be better off using cellular.

Also with energy saving enabled, even if I have "always connected" ticked in the car still seems to fall asleep and has to be woken up.

Yes, I have the same experience. Killing the app and restarting often, but not always, helps. The Android app is just another example of Tesla's generally poor software quality IMHO.

I heard that the Android Tesla app was bad, but didn't know it was this bad. Are there no third party android Tesla apps out there? If not, then I guess I can code Remote S for Android when I recover from my surgery.

I heard that the Android Tesla app was bad, but didn't know it was this bad. Are there no third party android Tesla apps out there? If not, then I guess I can code Remote S for Android when I recover from my surgery.
Oh yeah, it's unreliable for me too... mind you, I'm running it on a Blackberry. However, the problems I'm reading here are exactly my experience, so I suspect it's the app and not the emulation on the Blackberry.

It would be really great if you did do an Android version... preferably through Amazon rather than Google Play, so that Blackberry people can get it more readily!

Yes please!

I have the same slow load, and restart the app to get it to work. In addition, there are no push notifications in android, which I find mind-boggling that Apple users can be informed when their cars are unplugged/etc. and the only way android users can find out is by constantly monitoring the app.

I moved my wifi repeater to a better spot and now car seems to respond better.

edit: no, same problem continues. At least wifi signal is now strong, so that is not the problem. If Apple users aren't seeing this, it must be the Android app.

Last edited:
I use both the Android and the iOS versions of the app and do not notice a significant difference in performance. My connectivity issues have been signal-related (i.e. weak WiFi or parked the car in an enclosed garage) or car sleeping-related.