Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Always Connected Missing on Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
I just switched from the S to the 3, and I absolutely LOVE IT! However, I noticed that “Always Connected” seems to be missing and the app has to wake the car up to interface with it. I’ve gone through every menu about 20 times in search of both that feature (available in energy saving settings on S/X) and the ability to connect to Wi-Fi. I’ve been told Wi-Fi is missing, but may be added in a software update... but always connected seems critical to the Model 3 considering the phone is viewed as the primary key/“key fob”.

Always connected is for connection to the Tesla servers via the Internet. The phone as key uses Bluetooth LE which doesn’t use the network connection.
True... but let's say you wanna pop the funk/trunk or do anything other than unlock/drive away, the car has to "wake up" first. I liked the instant access of the app and its features found with the Model S due to that always connected mode.

I would think those settings would be added when they add wifi since you would want to enable (or not) the same energy savings (for use with TeslaFi and others).

Seems like a bit more to go for full software parity (not AP, software :D).
Good point! here's hoping! I already love my car to death (more than I ever did my S) and I can't wait for her to get better!

Reactions: boaterva
True... but let's say you wanna pop the funk/trunk or do anything other than unlock/drive away, the car has to "wake up" first. I liked the instant access of the app and its features found with the Model S due to that always connected mode.

This is one of the reasons the frunk is useless for day to day usage on the 3, sadly. It's where I throw things I hopefully never need because it's too annoying to deal with the wake up times to open.

This is one of the reasons the frunk is useless for day to day usage on the 3, sadly. It's where I throw things I hopefully never need because it's too annoying to deal with the wake up times to open.

Pretty sure the trunk and frunk can be popped while it still says connecting. I believe they use Bluetooth to allow for instant access. You can see they are white while other options are grey while it says connecting, and in my tests they open, even while the app still isn’t connected.

Pretty sure the trunk and frunk can be popped while it still says connecting. I believe they use Bluetooth to allow for instant access. You can see they are white while other options are grey while it says connecting, and in my tests they open, even while the app still isn’t connected.
I do think this is spot on. Allen of Remote S fame said something like this when saying how he was going to program the confirmation for his app. If it was using the servers, he was going to add a confirmation (option) for the trunk/frunk because it may mean you are so far away you can't see the car. If it was using BT, you were within line of sight and didn't need a confirmation.

Not me I want to minimize vampire drain. So when possible I wan my car in a deep sleep. So if they add it make it optional.

Reactions: MXWing

You're technically correct but in practice it often doesn't respond, in my experience. Especially from the lockscreen widget.

Reactions: tanner
I just switched from the S to the 3, and I absolutely LOVE IT! However, I noticed that “Always Connected” seems to be missing and the app has to wake the car up to interface with it. I’ve gone through every menu about 20 times in search of both that feature (available in energy saving settings on S/X) and the ability to connect to Wi-Fi. I’ve been told Wi-Fi is missing, but may be added in a software update... but always connected seems critical to the Model 3 considering the phone is viewed as the primary key/“key fob”.

1. It used to be ‘always on’, but for me and some users, 2018.10.5 firmware changed it to power-saving with always-on disabled. which saves a lot of energy on vampire drain. see this discussion:

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

2. Model 3's app is different than Model S/X, because it's using Bluetooth 4.0 BLE, so it's a hybrid connection with both Bluetooth and Internet, TL;DR: you don't need car to wake up to open your frunk or doors, just pop your app and click the button if it's within bluetooth range.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...et-to-open-frunk-door-with-phone-app.111621/\

3. I wish Tesla provide a button to leave `always-on` feature to users, like they did with Model S/X.

1. It used to be ‘always on’, but for me and some users, 2018.10.5 firmware changed it to power-saving with always-on disabled. which saves a lot of energy on vampire drain. see this discussion:

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

2. Model 3's app is different than Model S/X, because it's using Bluetooth 4.0 BLE, so it's a hybrid connection with both Bluetooth and Internet, TL;DR: you don't need car to wake up to open your frunk or doors, just pop your app and click the button if it's within bluetooth range.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...et-to-open-frunk-door-with-phone-app.111621/\

3. I wish Tesla provide a button to leave `always-on` feature to users, like they did with Model S/X.
Interesting! Thanks for the info. Regarding point 2: does it work with the trunk too? For some reason, my car still doesn't appear in may Tesla app... It worked for a few hours and disappeared cause they're "finalizing the paperwork" (still).

Interesting! Thanks for the info. Regarding point 2: does it work with the trunk too? For some reason, my car still doesn't appear in may Tesla app... It worked for a few hours and disappeared cause they're "finalizing the paperwork" (still).

I only see 'Open Frunk' and 'Open door' is enabled when car is in Bluetooth range, and even 'Open Frunk' is added about 2 weeks ago to app, they might add `Open Trunk` in future. At least you can always using the button beneath trunk handle to open it, but frunk is easier to open on app than using touchscreen if you're approaching the car.

I only see 'Open Frunk' and 'Open door' is enabled when car is in Bluetooth range, and even 'Open Frunk' is added about 2 weeks ago to app, they might add `Open Trunk` in future. At least you can always using the button beneath trunk handle to open it, but frunk is easier to open on app than using touchscreen if you're approaching the car.

If you go under controls you will see all 3, since trunk isn't on the first page of the app. and you can do it under there in bluetooth range.

Reactions: tanner