Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Always Connected Model 3 Request

Do you want an Always Connected mode for the Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I think the architecture of the Model 3 systems (or the implementation) is just utter *sugar*.

The phone example is perfect. If we can carry around an iPhone that can instantly get a text message within a couple seconds and can last days on a tiny cell phone battery then we should expect a model 3 to be instantly reachable and not use much battery power.

I fear they did something really stupid here and made it so they have to run a very lower hungry computer in order to receive any message. So the only solution is to keep that computer powered down as much as possible to reduce vampire drain.

It drives me utterly insane having to launch the app, wait forever for it to connect, and then finally hit the button to engage climate control.

Even with their stupid architecture, they should let me hit a button in the app which sends a message to the Tesla servers to contact my car and turn on climate control. Even if turning it on took a couple minutes this would be fine as long as I did not have to wait around for the damned button to light up so I could press it. Horrible user experience.

Also, I have Alexa units which I rarely use, but damned, I would kill to be able to say “Alexa, warm up my car” while I get dressed in the morning. That is a killer app. (And no, I don’t want to deal with third parties to enable this)

.....utterly insane?

That's pretty strong.

• Disagree
Reactions: Perry
.....utterly insane?

That's pretty strong.

It is just very annoying as it is a variable amount of wait time and then sometimes it outright fails.

Every time I want to use it I am in a hurry undoubtably (either am getting ready to go to work in the morning, or getting ready to drive home at the end of the day). I want to just launch the app, hit the button, and then go on with something else.

Instead I have to launch the app and then wait for it, OR I have to remember to come back in a couple minutes and check on it.

This is a convenience item that I use at least twice a day right now (at this time of year). I design applications / systems for a living and so I know exactly how you would implement this if you were doing it right (a queue based architecture likely), but clearly they have not designed it that way.

Reactions: fiatlux
can't you just simulate this by setting something up to poll the car every minute or every few minutes to prevent it from sleeping? when I had my home assistant install set up to poll the car every 3 minutes, it would never sleep...once I turned that off, the car started sleeping.

Reactions: MP3Mike
That's funny. You don't seem to be able to know when you want to leave, and when you do it has to be right NOW, and then you have to wait a few seconds for the car to wake up and brush the cobwebs away. My car wakes up in plenty of time, and I never have to wait as I'm not in a hurry. Hurry people should go out a minute early.

So I suppose you speed all the time, too.

That's funny. You don't seem to be able to know when you want to leave, and when you do it has to be right NOW, and then you have to wait a few seconds for the car to wake up and brush the cobwebs away. My car wakes up in plenty of time, and I never have to wait as I'm not in a hurry. Hurry people should go out a minute early.

So I suppose you speed all the time, too.
The problem is you’re staring at a spinning circle for a minute waiting for the app to connect. I suppose you would be ok with a car taking a minute to start since you’re not in a hurry? Personally I hate unresponsive UIs.
Tesla should just have the app connect to a server that can queue commands if they can’t fix the underlying issue.

I timed it today. 30 seconds, as I connected the seat belt and backed out of the garage. Yeah, you can back out while it loads. Or drive forward. It's not "unresponsive", it's loading. It is possible to use the phone app and start the car while you finish your second cup of coffee.