TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Always Connected Model 3 Request

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by eXntrc, Jan 25, 2019.

?

Do you want an Always Connected mode for the Model 3?

1. No, I'm fine with how responsive things are now.

26.8%
  2. I just want Tesla's own app to connect faster but I really don't need 3rd party apps.

35.7%
  3. I want Tesla's own app to connect faster AND I'd like 3rd party apps to work.

37.5%
  1. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

.....utterly insane?

That's pretty strong.

• Disagree x 1
  2. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

It is just very annoying as it is a variable amount of wait time and then sometimes it outright fails.

Every time I want to use it I am in a hurry undoubtably (either am getting ready to go to work in the morning, or getting ready to drive home at the end of the day). I want to just launch the app, hit the button, and then go on with something else.

Instead I have to launch the app and then wait for it, OR I have to remember to come back in a couple minutes and check on it.

This is a convenience item that I use at least twice a day right now (at this time of year). I design applications / systems for a living and so I know exactly how you would implement this if you were doing it right (a queue based architecture likely), but clearly they have not designed it that way.

• Like x 1
  3. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

can't you just simulate this by setting something up to poll the car every minute or every few minutes to prevent it from sleeping? when I had my home assistant install set up to poll the car every 3 minutes, it would never sleep...once I turned that off, the car started sleeping.

• Like x 1
  4. JayNJ

JayNJ Member

The controls use bluetooth. It keeps that always connected as it has to to detect your phone key.

5. roblab

roblab Active Member

That's funny. You don't seem to be able to know when you want to leave, and when you do it has to be right NOW, and then you have to wait a few seconds for the car to wake up and brush the cobwebs away. My car wakes up in plenty of time, and I never have to wait as I'm not in a hurry. Hurry people should go out a minute early.

So I suppose you speed all the time, too.

• Disagree x 4
  6. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

The problem is you’re staring at a spinning circle for a minute waiting for the app to connect. I suppose you would be ok with a car taking a minute to start since you’re not in a hurry? Personally I hate unresponsive UIs.
    Tesla should just have the app connect to a server that can queue commands if they can’t fix the underlying issue.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  7. roblab

roblab Active Member

I timed it today. 30 seconds, as I connected the seat belt and backed out of the garage. Yeah, you can back out while it loads. Or drive forward. It's not "unresponsive", it's loading. It is possible to use the phone app and start the car while you finish your second cup of coffee.