TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Always-on Brake hold mode?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by plasmo, Sep 26, 2016.

1. plasmo

plasmo Member

One of the things that I noticed on my new X is that many times after breaking the car to a stop, I notice the car start to roll backwards slightly right before hitting the accelerator pedal.
    I know that pushing harder on the brake turns on the Hold mode (which is what I want), but is there a way to disable the car rolling backwards altogether? (Or other words, always turn on Hold mode every time I brake)

It's hard to get used to this and worry that I'm gonna hit something behind me. I have creep off, if that makes a difference.
    Thanks.

2. Phil Seastrand

Yes, turning creep on will help, but not entirely eliminate it. If the hill is steep enough, the car will still roll backwards.

3. Festerfeet

Festerfeet Member

Not sure whether Creep mode is your friend or not. Creep will bite if the slope is gentle but could still let the car roll back if a little steeper so cannot be relied upon for this purpose.

Hold is easier to turn on with Creep mode off as it does not need as firm/deep a press off the brake pedal.

I am also a new Model X owner and found that by the third day of use it becomes almost automatic to press and check for the notification on the screen.

After two weeks of usage you need to be careful when driving an ICE as I have found out to my embarrassment, I have got so used to driving the X that when I borrowed my wife's car, on stopping, I just got out to run an errand without thinking. I had not only left the car unlocked but also left the key in the ignition and running which is how I found it 10 minutes later on my return.

• Like x 2
  4. RDoc

RDoc S85D

It does seem a bit crazy the system behaves that way to me too.

5. Festerfeet

Festerfeet Member

Which bit do you find crazy? The roll backwards situation? Maybe there wasn't a simple engineering or programming fix but it really isn't a big deal to adjust driving habits slightly and use the hold brake.

I have had automatic cars that hold on a slight incline but not on a steeper hill and they don't have a hold option. That is crazy.

6. RDoc

RDoc S85D

What I find crazy is that a system that is software controlled acts as if it's being implemented with springs and levers.

7. Festerfeet

Festerfeet Member

Ok, this is where my ignorance is shown. When hold is engaged, does it apply the mechanical brake or lock the motor? could this make a difference as to whether an alternative solution is easy or not?

8. PacManMX

PacManMX Member

By habit I press hold at nearly every stop. Love the feature. However, there have been a few instances (probably my fault) where for whatever reason I either accidentally tapped the brake after being in hold, tapped the gas, or perhaps never confirmed it was in hold in the first place. Have come close to tapping the car in back of me. In general, when in drive, I NEVER want to move in reverse.

Desire (feature request) is for the following:

If I'm stopped, and creep is set to off, automatically put the car in hold. "Stopped" can be defined as that instant of time before rolling backwards when slowing down moving uphill.

If that isn't possible due to a safety concern or regulation, then also visually and audibly warn me the instant the car rolls in reverse when in "drive".

• Like x 2
  9. plasmo

plasmo Member

+1 This, exactly.

10. thimel

thimel Member

It applies the regular brakes. There is no lock on the motor.

11. Festerfeet

Festerfeet Member

Thank you, that what it feels like but I wasn't sure.

As you may have gathered, I am new to the Tesla family and still learning about the car.

I also cannot envisage many circumstances where I would want the car to roll backwards (although I found one today) when stopped but still in drive. On the other hand I have no problem with the current set up and have not found it inconvenient or difficult to get in the habit of applying hold when I draw to a stop.