TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Always on Dashcam Installer for my X in Florida

Discussion in 'Model X' started by MaxK, Jan 7, 2016.

1. MaxK

MaxK Member

Does anyone know of an installer in Florida that they would trust to try to install a Front/Rear dashcam in a Model X attached to continuous power?

2. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I installed mine my self, I recommended the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH (my review: Blackvue - The Best Dashcam? - YouTube). I would recommend purchasing the dashcam and have a local installer install it. On the S some owners tapped into the OBD port for constant 12V power as it requires no drilling to get to the fuse box in the frunk.

I especially like the new Blackvue over the cloud feature, it lets you view a live stream directly from your dashcam anywhere and get notifications if someone hits your car while it is parked. I will probably make a video showing those features.

3. Warrenbonz

Warrenbonz Member

I use Soundwaves in Tampa on Adamo to service the custom uninstalledpassport radar/laser system and stereo in my Roadster and they did a good job installing the passport radar/laser system in my Model S. I suggest speaking with the owner Peter directly and having him personally do the work (813) 849-1104. He is a big Tesla fan. Feel free to tell him Warren referred you. Another option is Ultimate Audio in Orlando. They are a large operation and have a lot of experience with high end cars including Tesla. They installed the custom stereo and radar/laser system in my Roadster. Expensive but good. Ask for Imran (407) 849-1100. Again feel free to tell him Warren referred you. Good luck.

4. bobinfla

bobinfla S-Vin 4086 Rdstr-Vin 0019

I also used Soundwaves on Adamo to do my stereo system on my Roadster and was very happy with their work (must have gotten some good practice on Warren's job).

5. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

On a Model S it's an easy do it yourself job. On a Model X I see two difficulties.
    1. How to make the power and rear video wires look good routed on that massive windshield.
    2. Routing the rear video cable past the Falcon doors.

6. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

I do not understand why no car company has thought to add a USB port on top of the dash for power source. It would be very cheap for them and make dash cam a plug in item

7. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

or why no company has made a dash cam a factory option... just insert your own SD card if you want to use it.

I take that back... I guess technically the Corvette did...

8. modelx007

modelx007 Member

How about an installer in South Florida such as Boca south to ft. Lauderdale for the camera and installing radar?

9. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

The new Cadillac CT6 has a built-in 360-degree dash cam.

10. kort677

kort677 Active Member

for the OP, best buy can install it

11. modelx007

modelx007 Member

Would someone actually let bestbuy install it on a 100k+ car they might not have experience with the ev as it is different from regular car.

12. kort677

kort677 Active Member

really?
    do you think those guys at the installation dept at best buy are any less capable than some guys at xyz boombox shop? beyond the method of propulsion the tesla is no different from any other car.
    I offered advice take it or leave it.

13. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I wouldn't let Best Buy touch my lunch, let alone my Tesla.

• Like x 1
  14. kort677

kort677 Active Member

omigod, where did you think the techs at the tesla service centers come from? where they hatched out in freemont?

15. modelx007

modelx007 Member

I do appreciate your response and it is an option so thank you for giving it, so my response was not meant to be negative. In my local best buy it never had a good experience with install as they didn't seem to know what they were doing but that could be anywhere. I would have thought how wires and power are run would be different....

16. modelx007

modelx007 Member

Where is the best place price to purchase the dr650gw-2ch?

17. tonyx

tonyx Member

I, too am looking for a great front and rear camera setup - I thought this article was pretty helpful, and was considering the Panorama X2: The 5 Best Front Winter 2015/2016

I've only ever heard of Blackvue before, anybody know about these other brands?

18. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Not in a million years.

• Like x 1
  19. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

USB is 5 Volts and most dashcams need 12 Volts.

20. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I would recommend blackboxmycar.com, the owner Alex is personally answers any questions and they offer warranty that other sellers on Amazon don't. Just keep in mind the prices are actually in Canadian Dollars as they are based in Canada so the U.S prices are lower (pay using PayPal).