Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Always-on unlimited internet hotspot for Voltron

tengtengvn

Apr 5, 2021
Silicon Valley
Gonna try #vanlife for a sometime when I can leave my business behind. I need reliable internet access for both me and my wife to work and the kid to play. :p I have been playing with a few options for awhile and finally found a sweet solution.

Use cases:
*** Camping, road trip, emergency wifi,...
*** This might be a good solution if you don't want to pay for Tesla's premium connectivity.
*** Use it with a hard wired wifi dashcam. I'm thinking about modding a wyze cam for this.
*** Where you park the car has poor AT&T signal.

My setup:
1. t-mobile franklin T9 Mifi.
- free with t-mobile test drive or new line, $35 on ebay.
- unlocked (works with both t-mobile and verizon SIMs). Free, check google.
- IMEI changed to allow the hotspot to use the regular phone plan (not hotspot plan). Check google, the option is under engineering menu.
- supports up to 15 devices.
The T9 mifi has the option to stay on as long as it's plugged in to a power source and it stays on without any devices connecting to it.
Unlike some other mifis which I've used from t-mobile and verizon, this T9 mifi can run without the battery installed. One less battery to blow up. j/k

2. Service:
- t-mobile free add a line (50 GB before data prioritization)
- verizon tablet sim from my work.
Check Visible Wireless if you need a new SIM, $25 a month with party pay from Visible sub reddit. Need IMEI change for this to work.

3. 10ft / 3.05m 14 AWG Extension Cord Dual Plug Socket with Battery Clamp 12V/ 24V Battery Clip-On and Cigarette Lighter Adapter
--- run it from the battery to the front.

4. USB adapter.

1627522913503.png

1627523290759.png

Last edited:

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC