Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I a Hoonigan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here I was a 60+ year old professional with a Nissan Altima until June 22, 2013. On that date "JOULED" arrived (Blk/Tan P85, pano, twin, air etc). My driving style has changed dramatically as I have regressed to an 18 year old driving a GTX Hemi. While I still drive carefully for the most part (308WhM) I almost always find a reason to put my foot to the floor. I actually felt challenged by some high school kids in a Hemi pick up truck driving aggressively on my bumper and then disappearing in my rear view mirror until I realized I was going 90. I slowed and they passed. I noticed stickers in the window that said "Hoonigan" and "Hooning is not a crime". When I later Googled it I found that a "Hoon" is an aggressive rude driver of the type I have held in disdain for 40 years. Then I realized since I got the MS I have also been engaging in aggressive driving. And I have gotten a real thrill out of it. Fellow owners - am I a Hoon and is there a cure? :redface:

This is the first time I've heard that phrase. Hmm, I'd say, that like with anything, there's degrees. If you're just an outright you-know-what just to be so, that's one thing. Getting a little spirited in your driving (even when feeling "challenged") is not at the far end of that spectrum IMO.

Actually, the term Hoon - when used in casual English conversation does not implicate said driver in a rude, garish manner at all. In fact, it is more of a "drive it like you rented it" mentality. So, one would use it correctly in the sense that you are driving for the fullest extent of the physical capabilities of the car - and then some. So slipstreaming on a dirt road, or hitting the apex a little to deep and hopping a curb - that would all be hooning. (BTW the noun would be a hoon and the activity would be hooning).

So it is really not derogatory when used in the setting of those who understand it. Unfortunately, that setting is an English pub or somewhere else where bloody is a bad word and you order a pint instead of a beer.

Actually, the term Hoon - when used in casual English conversation does not implicate said driver in a rude, garish manner at all. In fact, it is more of a "drive it like you rented it" mentality. So, one would use it correctly in the sense that you are driving for the fullest extent of the physical capabilities of the car - and then some. So slipstreaming on a dirt road, or hitting the apex a little to deep and hopping a curb - that would all be hooning. (BTW the noun would be a hoon and the activity would be hooning).

So it is really not derogatory when used in the setting of those who understand it. Unfortunately, that setting is an English pub or somewhere else where bloody is a bad word and you order a pint instead of a beer.

"Hooning" is actually Australian in origin I believe. :)

I'm 66 and have a roadster that I drive very carefully for the sake of the battery and the fact that I have an extinct creation with limited spare parts.

That said..... There is not a cut down Honda with huge noisey tailpipe in MD gonna blow me down!!! I try to drive around like the corvette guys in their smug arrogance (well deserved) but............ Some hidden Tesla Demon takes over when #992 gets a credible challenge........ Don't get me wrong it's not the " Fast and "Furious" but it is a disease that can hit all Tesla owners. Just one gaping look from a Porsche owner or a "What IS that thing" at the next stop light and your infected. Be careful and continue to remember what you told your kids about safe driving. Like an addiction it will never go away but the Tesla Demon CAN be controlled .... To some extent anyway.....:cool:

So hoon is = small willy. This thread is going downhill. I will say that the pick up with the teenagers burned rubber in front of me but I laughed remembering the sound of cut out exhausts and double strips of rubber when I was 17. I guess I much prefer the awesome idea of Tesloonigans above because I certainly don't want to have today's teenagers think I know what their code is.

More seriously, I have never turned off the traction control or actually started from 0 or a rolling start. On the other hand I have been noticing how some other cars (BMW) appear to be exercised by my presence. (Small willy jk). I also note the challenge. For now I really like Tesloonigan and think it would be interesting to have a sticker that says "beware Tessloonigan on board". Not that I would ever put a sticker on her. Thank you Todd it has been wonderful out here where no one has heard of Tesla but the looks are ever- present. This car is GREAT.