Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I a Puffer?

JimVision

Aug 20, 2017
Colorado, USA
When at work, and if it has snowed during the day, about 30 minutes before departing work for home, I preheat my Model S to help with defrosting. And it's nice to come to a warm car and it helps the batteries (so I'm told).

I work in a city where "Puffing" is illegal. Briefly, here's a statement from where I work.

"Don’t be a “puffer.” What’s a puffer, you ask? It is the term used for a vehicle left running and unattended. This is illegal and makes it very easy for your car to be stolen."

So when it's a snowy day and I come to my car after work, most of the snow is melted off, where as my fellow coworkers are all scraping and wiping the snow off. They yell at me, "PUFFER!!!", kind of in jest, I think.

Now I wonder, I am using resources to warm my car, but it's locked. I turn on my car's heaters from the Tesla app.

Am I a puffer? I thought not, but now I'm 2nd guessing my self because I am using resources. No tickets so far. Just curious what others think. Have other Tesla owners been accused of "puffing"?

SW2Fiddler

We Are Cognitive Dissidents
Mar 19, 2014
Houston TX
Like most headlines asking a question, this one is a "No."

This regulation?

Unattended motor vehicle - definitions.
(1)
A person driving or in charge of AN UNLOCKED motor vehicle shall NOT permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, removing the key from the ignition, and effectively setting the brake thereon.

JimVision

Aug 20, 2017
Colorado, USA
#SW2Fiddler Very interesting to read that Colorado Bill. Thanks for the link! If I get a ticket, I'll post it here. But I think I'm worrying for nothing.

Thanks!

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC