TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Am I anti-selling my self

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by sdugan99, Sep 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sdugan99

sdugan99 Member

Not sure the best title but here is what I have been debating myself for a few weeks now.

Comparing the Model S75 to the Model 3. EAP on both Premium and LR on the 3. Maybe AWD on the S. Different paint color on both.

I was late reserving the Model 3 November 2016. So my first window currently is April 2018 - June 2018 for the LR premium. Up until a few weeks ago I never considered paying for a Model S. Have had some good financial things happen and now am in position to consider model S. From a Financial perspective 25-30k more expensive range is considering AWD on S that I wouldn't get on the 3. This assumes I get the full tax credit on the 3, plus the 3k Maryland credit that is not available on the S. Also considering the .99% financing on the S vs I am assuming 2.9 on the 3. The S would be a larger down payment as I will try to keep monthly payment in both the same.

After the finances it is starting to come down to a worry the the 3 will be to small. In looking at cargo capacity the S has almost as much as my wife's outback. Previously I wasn't concerned because I figure we would take the outback or I would still have my Tundra. I was surprised we could basically take as much in the S as the outback. Now we do put a roof bag on the outback that would seriously hurt the range, but realized we could do most road trips in the S and this wouldn't be true in the 3. S range is 61 to 51 miles less then the LR 3 I just don't know how significant that is for us. Majority of the driving will be commuting to work and local. Maybe 2 - 3 trips a year were range would make a difference.

I am going to Test Drive an S next Saturday so that will help. Won't know the ride difference or seat comfort etc.

I am treating the model 3 as my next car purchase as my current truck is 11 years old and it time. The difference in the S would be a gift/treat to myself for some things that have gone well recently putting us in a much better financial situation.

Will I regret getting the S sooner and not getting a 3? Will I get the 3 and regret not getting the S? These are all things running through my mind on my commute

I know I am rambling and not sure what I am looking for except some feedback and maybe devils advocate. Anything I am not thinking of?

2. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

You'll be buying a MS. :)

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  3. Tam

Tam Active Member

If you cannot afford the higher price, it is understandable to wait for Model 3.

But if you can afford a Model S or X, I would not waste my time waiting for Model 3.

If you need to carry cargo in your car, then of course, hatchback S/X is for you!

It's quite clear to me.

4. arcus

arcus Member

Playing devil's advocate here, you know well enough what will happen after you test drive model S :p

Jokes aside, I was in a same boat when I decided to go with S. No regrets, as it is truly a remarkable car. Plus, I kept my reservation for model 3 anyway.

5. mach330

mach330 Member

don't do it. Don't test drive the ms. I did...and now on a daily basis i keep going back and forth between model 3 and ms. it's truly painful. I was really hoping for a performance version of the 3 but with the timeline for that is next yr, I'll miss that fed tax credit so the difference in price is pretty close. stupid mistake on my part....don't test drive it!!!

6. sdugan99

sdugan99 Member

Ha. Exactly what I am thinking, I am going down a bad path.

7. arcus

arcus Member

It's a nice "problem" to have in this case :)

8. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Was gonna say, he's doomed, doomed... :D

• Funny x 1
  9. stan23

stan23 Member

The S is engineered and marketed as a 'driver's car' , the 3 is engineered and marketed as an EV car for the masses. This is what Tesla told me yesterday.

Drive the S and let us know how you feel.

10. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Even if you are going Model S, waiting a few months might well net important upgrades to it as Model 3 features (interior camera? 2170 batteries? new dash?) start making their way into Model S/X.

• Like x 1
  11. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Member

Whatever you do, don't read this! I'm about to make your slippery slope longer and slipperier.

As long as you're even thinking about MS ... I wouldn't stint on range. Given even a few annual road trips, you should seriously consider seeking an end-of-quarter deal on a 100D.

The MS is a road-trip beast. It easily swallows up our gear for extended golf + mountain biking trips.

However, if you add a roof rack or hitch rack, mileage takes a beating. In cold weather, mileage takes a beating. And, on long mountain uphills, mileage takes a beating. So, if you ski up in Vermont, or even the Poconos, you'll be glad you went big.

When I made my fateful test drive of doom, I originally considered a 60. When the 70 came out, I was ready to buy that. Fortunately, my wife convinced me to go for the 85D and its 270 miles of rated range. Such the right move.

So much so, that I've even seriously considered trading up to a 100D and its 335 miles.

You will never regret it, I assure you. Friends of ours used my referral code to get theirs, and they've been thrilled.

(Another alternative: Find a deal on a new or recent 90D.)

• Informative x 1
  12. run-the-joules

I did 3 separate Model S test drives, one of which was 3 days. I liked the S for the most part (I was honestly trying to convince myself to get it and end the waiting), and I can afford it, but I'm still waiting for the 3. *shrug*

• Like x 1
  13. bariiings

bariiings Member

I too was in your situation a little over two months ago. I test drove the S, and found an inventory model and put money down right away. I dont regret it for a second!
    We immediately went on vacation and I hauled a 9month old, all his stuff, and then all of the wifes "stuff" no problem. Theres a LOT of room!
    I will actually be in Hagerstown on Saturday this weekend at the wifes moms house. If interested, Id let you test drive, and my car doesnt have the DEMO/LOANER restriction on it! Many instances in the DC area, you need to get above 85mph. Let me know if you want to meet up.
    There are inventory cars available a lot of times that will give you extra range. I picked up a 90D here in Pittsburgh and it was barely more expensive then a custom 75D. I drive about 40k a year for work, have put on 6k miles in 5 weeks in the car. I have traveled through WV,OH,PA,MD, NC, and VA. No problems with superchargers around the area. There are plenty more being built in your neck of the woods as well.
    Example 90D available.
    Model S 90D 5YJSA1E29HF214214 | Tesla

Dont forget the 1k referral code bonus. IF you need one, everyone here has one. You can PM me for one as well.

Just let us know when you put your money down after you test drive! ha

• Like x 1
  14. kidjim25

kidjim25 Member

I have to agree with everyone here. DONT DRIVE THE S! I went in to ask about needing dual motors on the 3 (I live in Chicago snow and ice etc) test drove an S75D realized I could afford it and ill be picking mine up on the 30th.

15. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Another model S owner here who thought he could test drive one and then make a reasoned, intelligent decision.
    Within a week of test driving I ignored all my notes,research, credit reports and just went ahead and ordered. Not a second of regret since :)

• Like x 1
  16. sdugan99

sdugan99 Member

If we could find a time to meet up when you are in town that would be great. Where do I find the inventory models that people keep mentioning? Just on the tesla site? I don't see any 90d's so maybe all gone?

17. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Dog Chauffeur

Same boat here, except haven’t gotten the offer to do an overnight.

My patience right now is mainly based on my belief a refresh is imminent. Maybe not a big one, but something. That would either be an opportunity to have the latest/greatest or maybe an even better opportunity to pick up a great deal on an inventory unit.

Told my OA to call back in October. Maybe I’ll have all my issues worked out by then and be ready to either double down on the 3 or live large with the S.

18. sdugan99

sdugan99 Member

Thanks I will take a
    Thanks when I go to new Inventory that car doesn't show up, but it does when I follow you link

19. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

You can kiss the maybe on the AWD for the Model S. :)

It's now AWD only.

My recommendation would be to wait till you can test drive both of them. Plus the Model S is due for a refresh to make it more competitive to the 3, and I would expect that to happen before The April-June 2018 time frame.

20. bariiings

bariiings Member

sdugan,
    I have PM'd you. I leave contact info their.
    ev-cpo.com has listings that will have the cars available