Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I being an idiot by not taking delivery before year end?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oops! Forgot to answer the question ...

If 1) you've enjoyed your Tesla experience, 2) Family & friends say "Do it", 3) You are relatively young (I'm 66), healthy, and employed, 4) You WANT a new Tesla ...

... yeah, kinda stupid. You asked! ;)

Not a personal attack in any way. Just after being around a bit, I've found doubt and regret are worse than being "spread thin." Go with gusto, enjoy life.

IMHO, YMMV, WAPOS

Hey thanks for the story and glad you made the right decision!

Yeah I’ve talked to 4 friends about it actually. 2 said buy the new, 2 said keep the old, haha! So they were not much help, but certainly had strong opinions.

I think it really comes down to a gamble on how much the old S will cost to keep running. Law of averages usually says keep your old and relatively paid off car, and while believe in this line of thinking, a tesla is arguably different. If it craps out, a 20k battery pack and 7k drivetrain vs. a new car with an 8yr warranty is an interesting comparison…unlike the days where one was contemplating an older s55 (bullet proof engine, all services could be done at in independent, ext) vs a new c63, for example. The maths are just different on an 8yr old original msrp 135k electric car vs 135k ICE, I think.

As far as my personal situation, yeah I didn’t feel the need to bring everything, but I don’t have a fam, I’m single, and want to get an investment property. I work in finance and make good money. Probably tmi, but I consider this forum to be anonymous for myself, hence why I was more transparent on my situation.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone on the forum that gave their input. If you’re curious, I decided to keep the p85d.
Good for you, @tubaprde !

Your first sentence, "My situation is somewhat unique" was certainly true. I assumed partner and family, my bad. Sorry if I made you uncomfortable. My advice stands for a lot of people, but I think your case is well thought out, and sensible. I had to laugh at your 50-50 friend split ;) . I applaud your courageous attitude in the face of "The Law of Expired Warrantees" and hope your P85D keeps whirring along. My best to your investment plans, my fellow forumer.

Happy New Year!

Reactions: tubaprde